Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1090 1091 [1092] 1093 1094 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749630 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #16365 on: May 07, 2015, 09:24:05 pm »

It's beginning to look plausible for a total sweep north of Hadrian's Wall.  :o

I'm doing some number-crunching to work out just how big of a swing this is, and who the real losers are, at least for the Scottish seats.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:29:15 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16366 on: May 07, 2015, 09:28:52 pm »

They have votes, but the SDLP (I think it's them at least) abstain from all Westminster votes on the grounds that the NI membership of the UK is invalid, so any seats they hold are informally discounted from the total needed for a majority.

The DUP are basically the Irish version of the Tea Party by my understanding and are offering support to the Tories.

Sinn Fein are part of the progressive alliance of the SNP, Greens and Plaid Cymru.

EDIT: Of the seats currently declared the Labour party has more seats counting the progressive parties, but pretty much all those seats were secure ones.  :-\

Sinn Fein don't take their seats in parliament, I believe because they refuse to pledge allegiance to the queen. I think SDLP take theirs.

I think Labour tend to look good early on because they win more urban seats and the tories win more rural ones. AFAIK Rural ones take longer to count because they have to ship the ballots around the place.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16367 on: May 07, 2015, 09:29:43 pm »

It's beginning to look plausible for a total sweep north of Hadrian's Wall.  :o

I'm doing some number-crunching to work out just how big of a swing this is, and who the real losers are, at least for the Scottish seats.

Well it was a 34.5% swing for Kirkcaldy to swing to the SNP from Labour, so that's probably one of the biggest.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16368 on: May 07, 2015, 09:31:35 pm »

Huh. We have the opposite effect in the US. Rural districts report in first because there's fuck-all anyone living there, while urban centers take much longer to count. Which tends to give a Republican lead and later a Democratic surge (which invariably leads to right-wingers claiming that somebody rigged the election and "stole" it from them when they lose).

Labour picks up Ealing Central from the Tories.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:37:32 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16369 on: May 07, 2015, 09:37:19 pm »

I think UK constituencies are set up to have roughly the same population, seeing as they get 1 MP each so having some with fewer people would lead to their votes having more importance than in more populated constituencies. That means that rural ones tend to be huge because they have to cover a lot of land to get the same number of people as a chunk of somewhere like London.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16370 on: May 07, 2015, 09:38:50 pm »

They have votes, but the SDLP (I think it's them at least) abstain from all Westminster votes on the grounds that the NI membership of the UK is invalid, so any seats they hold are informally discounted from the total needed for a majority.

The DUP are basically the Irish version of the Tea Party by my understanding and are offering support to the Tories.

Sinn Fein are part of the progressive alliance of the SNP, Greens and Plaid Cymru.

EDIT: Of the seats currently declared the Labour party has more seats counting the progressive parties, but pretty much all those seats were secure ones.  :-\

Sinn Fein don't take their seats in parliament, I believe because they refuse to pledge allegiance to the queen. I think SDLP take theirs.

I think Labour tend to look good early on because they win more urban seats and the tories win more rural ones. AFAIK Rural ones take longer to count because they have to ship the ballots around the place.

The SDLP more or less function as Labour MPs as I understand it. Long standing arrangement between the two parties.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16371 on: May 07, 2015, 09:56:06 pm »

Lib Dems hold Northern Isles by a baw hair. Shetland backed SNP but Orkney was too Lib Dem. Only non SNP seat thus fsr.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16372 on: May 07, 2015, 09:59:13 pm »

Of course, I've been reminding myself all day that if the SNP win 15 seats it'll be the best result they've ever had. If they win 25 it'll be an earthquake, if they win 35 it'll be incredible (the first time they've ever won a Scottish Westminster election), if they win 45+ it'll be astounding...
We're now at Code Incredible
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16373 on: May 07, 2015, 10:00:06 pm »

Lib Dems hold Northern Isles by a baw hair. Shetland backed SNP but Orkney was too Lib Dem. Only non SNP seat thus fsr.

Aaaw.  :(

I was half hoping for a full SNP house.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16374 on: May 07, 2015, 10:01:28 pm »

Lib Dems finally won a 2nd seat, but they're still behind Plaid Cymru (3). SNP now has 33 of Scotland's 59 seats. These are tectonic shifts in voter behavior. 25-40% gains for the SNP, almost all of it at the cost of Labour and the Liberal Democrats. In fact, I think what's as remarkable as the trouncing Labour is getting in Scotland, is the absolute extinction of the Liberal Democrats in Scotland. In most, if not all, Scottish constituencies, the Liberal Democrats are coming in *fifth*, behind the UKIP. (Or in Midlothian, SIXTH behind both the UKIP and Greens).

The identity of the Liberal Democrats as a "third party" is probably over. They'll still have a bit of relevance because of the handful of seats (as in, you will probably be able to count them on one hand) but I think it's a very real question to ask if they will stand for election as an organized party in 2020.

EDIT: I picture Owlbread shaking his fist to the north and yelling "Ye 'r dead to me, Orkneys! DEAD!"  :P

EDIT #2: Labour steals back Burnley from the Lib Dems.

EDIT #3: For all the hand-wringing that Labour is probably going through right now (Scottish Labour, certainly, will undergo a purge in leadership after a bloodbath like this)....they're not doing badly. They've held their seats and they've nibbled a few away here and there (Burnley from the LibDems, and Ealing Central from the Tories). I still think there's a good shot at a Labour-SNP coalition. The ones who are really getting pasted in all this (inside and outside Scotland) are the Lib Dems, which undercuts the current coalition, not Labour.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:16:29 pm by RedKing »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16375 on: May 07, 2015, 10:21:36 pm »

I doubt Labour are thinking entirely sensibly. They've lost a huge number of seats to the SNP and that's got to be demoralising.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16376 on: May 07, 2015, 10:23:33 pm »

UKIP won a seat. And are a very much right-wing party pushing for electoral reform. That's something you don't see every day.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #16377 on: May 07, 2015, 10:27:06 pm »

UKIP won a seat. And are a very much right-wing party pushing for electoral reform. That's something you don't see every day.

Generally speaking, electoral reform is supported by whoever would get the most votes out of it. In this case, with the current system UKIP is getting one seat despite having twice as many votes as the LibDems (4 seats) and very slightly less than the SNP (45 seats!!).
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16378 on: May 07, 2015, 10:29:20 pm »

Updated totals:

Labour -- 105
SNP -- 45 (We are now at DEFCON ASTOUNDING, repeat DEFCON ASTOUNDING)
Conservative -- 80
Liberal Democrats -- 4
UKIP -- 1
Plaid Cymru -- 3
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:30:58 pm by RedKing »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16379 on: May 07, 2015, 10:29:58 pm »

Salmond's an MP again.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 1090 1091 [1092] 1093 1094 ... 1393