Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1084 1085 [1086] 1087 1088 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749836 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #16275 on: May 07, 2015, 04:31:21 pm »

I'd go with scared.
Going to have another 5 years of Tories shitting on the country, and I don't think SNP will be able to do a great deal about it. And people voted for this.

Even if every single Scottish constituency voted Labour the Tories would still have gotten in. Labour have just completely collapsed in England, god damnit Miliband.

Nicola Sturgeon is saying the poll is bollocks and she doesn't think the SNP will get 58 seats. Labour have said they'd be "delighted" to win just 10 seats in Scotland though - god help them.

If we get another Tory government this means one thing - EU referendum. Hold onto your hats, folks.

On the plus side I'm pretty sure one of the things that's been bandied about as cause for a second referendum on independence was the possibility of Britain leaving the EU, so if it happens there's the possibility of that to look forward to.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16276 on: May 07, 2015, 04:33:03 pm »

EDIT: Honestly, at this point in time I'd prefer the Tories to Labour. Labour's a better party in times when we're in less of an economic shambles. Given that labour wants to INCREASE the debt...
Just so you know, national finances probably do not work the way you think they do.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16278 on: May 07, 2015, 04:39:50 pm »

Yeah. GO, get ready for even more of an economic shambles, the Austerity train is gonna run roughshod over your ass and there ain't nothing you can do about it.

Edit: Going into deficit to invest more in the country, as long as the return is over 1 dollar per dollar spent (infrastructure, for example, usually hovers around... I think like 1.7 per 1 dollar spent? something like that) is worth it, because you'll make back more in the future than you lost on the interest. That's just one example :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #16279 on: May 07, 2015, 04:40:25 pm »

In all honesty, Britain's got one of the strongest economies in Europe right now, and as much as I sympathize with dissatisfaction with austerity, it's really hard to imagine Labour would be able to keep the train running as well as the Tories have. Ideally, I think, we'll see a hung parliament with the Lib Dems getting the Tories to keep funding up for social services in exchange for signing on to a coalition.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16280 on: May 07, 2015, 04:41:37 pm »

Edit: Going into deficit to invest more in the country, as long as the return is over 1 dollar per dollar spent (infrastructure, for example, usually hovers around... I think like 1.7 per 1 dollar spent? something like that) is worth it, because you'll make back more in the future than you lost on the interest. That's just one example :v
That depends - what pockets do these 1.7 dollars end up in? If not at least one dollar of these 1.7 goes back to the state, something went wrong.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16281 on: May 07, 2015, 04:45:00 pm »

YouGov are predicting 48 SNP and a much tighter Labour/Tory lead.

Hmm, if the YouGov poll is closer to accurate it would mean a Labour government would need to pick up around a dozen MPs between NI and the Lib Dems.

What's the normal balance of MPs from NI normally like?
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16282 on: May 07, 2015, 04:55:49 pm »

Sunderland South:

UKIP: 8,280
    CON: 7,105
    LD: 791
    LAB: 21,218
    GRN: 1,095

Lol for LibDems, but UKIP winning over Tories is surprising.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16283 on: May 07, 2015, 04:59:52 pm »

Is there an order or something in which regions declare their results?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16284 on: May 07, 2015, 05:00:47 pm »

Is there an order or something in which regions declare their results?

Just when the results are done, I suppose. Sunderland has this thing where they compete to be the first ones done. They're a bit weird.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16285 on: May 07, 2015, 05:03:07 pm »

In all honesty, Britain's got one of the strongest economies in Europe right now, and as much as I sympathize with dissatisfaction with austerity, it's really hard to imagine Labour would be able to keep the train running as well as the Tories have. Ideally, I think, we'll see a hung parliament with the Lib Dems getting the Tories to keep funding up for social services in exchange for signing on to a coalition.
It didn't exactly work for the last 5 years did it?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16286 on: May 07, 2015, 05:07:06 pm »

55% turnout there, I think. So they got a ~27% "majority" .We all love Britaian, but not enough to vote for it, just enough to stay up till 6:00 am counting votes and spend hours watching the elections unfold on TV. Even worse than when the Tories got in on 29%. We need PR, or at least a NONE OF THE ABOVE option.

Worse in terms of voting percentages, I mean. Marginally better in terms of parties, IMHO.
One wheel short of a wagon

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #16287 on: May 07, 2015, 05:09:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Britain's employment rate is better than any country in the EU except Austria and Germany, and its economic growth and debt-to-GDP ratio are on the better side of average for the region.

I mean, I don't like austerity, but the Tories are doing something right...France has a Labour-style left-wing government under Hollande, and its economy is doing much worse than Britain's.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16288 on: May 07, 2015, 05:17:03 pm »

I believe the Tories aren't trying to crash the country, in particular. They may even be better for our "economy" (banking = money for bankers, indusrty = nonexistent, retail = good for business heads) than Labour, if one can tell the difference between cuts (hurt you later due to decreased machine) and borrowing (hurts you later due to interest).

I just think Labour don't really hate the poor, they just think being waaaay to right fer a left wing party is the only way to win.

But the Tories are bordering on human rights shit, with austerity and stuff. All aimed at the poor. Because, as a very fat and punchable member of my class recently said, Tories support "success".

Casually omits that he goes to a private school, and is not doing that well at even that. I'm not very meritocractic, but by his own ranking, and the opportunities - nay, privileges -  he's been given, he probably scores: garbage man.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:20:12 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16289 on: May 07, 2015, 05:23:22 pm »

A quote from someone on twitter:

Quote from: Scottish Twitterite
Hearing reports of emotional activists at the Glasgow count... It looks like there is going to be some groundbreaking news tonight! #ge2015

He went on to say:

friends at count are telling me Curran activists are upset.

Looks like Margaret Curran's lost her Glasgow East seat to the SNP. I've actually set my alarm clock on my phone so I can wake up in time to see her on the podium losing her 11,000+ majority, then I'll watch her rapidly melt into a pool of grease and hair dye with a pair of glasses floating in it like the Wicked Witch of Glasgow East that she is.
Pages: 1 ... 1084 1085 [1086] 1087 1088 ... 1393