Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749926 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #16185 on: May 06, 2015, 07:44:08 am »

Dear Ded Moroz, I know that it's totally not an appropriate time to send wishes to you, but can you please make average price on oil in this year more than 100 $ per barrel?
Dear Ded Moroz, you can easily achieve this by making full worldwide embargo on Russian oil happen.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16186 on: May 06, 2015, 07:46:40 am »

Or by another big war somewhere. Be careful what you wish for, guys.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16187 on: May 06, 2015, 07:57:12 am »

"Another big war" is pretty much inevitable at this point, what with the Cold War 2.0: The Hottening happening right now.

It's not like my wishes can change the obvious fact that the world hasn't seen a big war for far too long period of time, making people who knew that it is a Bad Thing™ die out and replacing them with young people who've learned only that it was a "morally just war of Good against Evil".

My only hope is that this big war manages to keep itself mostly in the economical sphere a la Cold War.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16188 on: May 06, 2015, 08:25:34 am »

It doesn't count as a cold war if one of the side's has it's power projection run out 50 miles from it's border.  Unless it's of vital interest to people in far away places like Nicaragua and Vietnam you aren't talking about superpowers.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16189 on: May 06, 2015, 08:54:19 am »

It doesn't count as a cold war if one of the side's has it's power projection run out 50 miles from it's border.  Unless it's of vital interest to people in far away places like Nicaragua and Vietnam you aren't talking about superpowers.
So nuclear missiles do not project power???
._.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16190 on: May 06, 2015, 09:05:04 am »

They are more of a protection measure against foreign meddling these days.  You don't go around threatening your neighbors with them, unless you are Glorious Leader of Korea.
I guess Pakistan and India has em too?  They ain't throwing their weight around.  And Big Brother has other means of convincing others.  Even Mother Russia ain't threatening anyone with their stockpile.

Though, I guess the fear with Iran is that the crazies there will one up Glorious Leader and go straight for the prize, cause religion.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16191 on: May 06, 2015, 09:07:21 am »

Unless you are Dr. Evil.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16192 on: May 06, 2015, 09:14:51 am »

They are more of a protection measure against foreign meddling these days.  You don't go around threatening your neighbors with them, unless you are Glorious Leader of Korea.
I guess Pakistan and India has em too?  They ain't throwing their weight around.  And Big Brother has other means of convincing others.  Even Mother Russia ain't threatening anyone with their stockpile.

Though, I guess the fear with Iran is that the crazies there will one up Glorious Leader and go straight for the prize, cause religion.
To be fair, didn't Russia "inform" the Netherlands that they would become a nuclear target if they went ahead with their plan to support NATO's anti-ballistic missile network fairly recently?

Also, Iran hasn't overtly attacked another country in more than two centuries. In addition, even with the current government in Iran, Shiites generally aren't as extreme as Sunnis. I'm far more worried about Pakistan's nukes than Iran's nukes that they will totally have in like 2 years guys for the last 30 years.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:25:22 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16193 on: May 06, 2015, 09:33:22 am »

To be fair, didn't Russia "inform" the Netherlands that they would become a nuclear target if they went ahead with their plan to support NATO's anti-ballistic missile network fairly recently?

Wasn't that Dennmark and not the Netherlands? I think I recall something about Russia threatening or 'informing' Dennmark about something in relation to the NATO missile stuff? Or maybe another NATO thing.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16194 on: May 06, 2015, 09:34:08 am »

Wasn't that Dennmark and not the Netherlands? I think I recall something about Russia threatening or 'informing' Dennmark about something in relation to the NATO missile stuff? Or maybe another NATO thing.
Might have been Denmark, I don't remember.

Edit: Yep, it was Denmark.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16195 on: May 06, 2015, 09:40:37 am »

It was Denmark, yeah. For building and hosting some anti-ballistic missile stuff, they've been put onto "destroy in case of war" list.

Unless you are Dr. Evil.
So you mean that if, for example, we take away nuclear missiles from USA (and USA only), that will not diminish their ability to project power?

Granted, in modern times they're more used to augment the other existing methods of power projection, but still.
._.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16196 on: May 06, 2015, 09:53:11 am »

Speaking of Russia, a very late image - the new Russian MBT T-14 on the streets of Moscow:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16197 on: May 06, 2015, 10:01:12 am »

Iran's main PR problem with nuclear stuff is one of its own making, cause of their Hezbollah and their statements of Israel's destruction. 
I'd think turning their holy land into a nuclear wasteland is the last thing the religious fundamentalists would want...

Huh, so Glorious Russia is the actually-capable-of-following-through-with-threats brand of Glorious Leader.

It was Denmark, yeah. For building and hosting some anti-ballistic missile stuff, they've been put onto "destroy in case of war" list.

Unless you are Dr. Evil.
So you mean that if, for example, we take away nuclear missiles from USA (and USA only), that will not diminish their ability to project power?

Granted, in modern times they're more used to augment the other existing methods of power projection, but still.
Nuclear power is protection against foreign meddling these days.  But that is based on the fact that noone will use it unless they are in danger of being taken over/destroyed. 

But yea, it will hamper the US's ability to project their power over things that nuclear powers, like Russia, are interested. 
The US can still be an asshole to most of the southern hemisphere though.  Heck, having no nuclear stockpile will probably free up some cash for other military toys.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16198 on: May 06, 2015, 10:05:57 am »

Sometimes I wonder what people think "projecting power" actually means in the world we currently live in.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16199 on: May 06, 2015, 10:08:33 am »

Sometimes I wonder what people think "projecting power" actually means in the world we currently live in.
Ability to tell other states what they should do with an implied threat of destruction if they don't comply?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 ... 1393