Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751268 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15690 on: March 28, 2015, 07:22:54 pm »

Pakistan is totally different. The history goes back to joint US/Pakistan efforts in Afghanistan back in the 1980's. Pakistan's ISI intelligence service armed militants, with US backing, to topple the Soviet-back secular government. Pakistan government / ISI elements continued to work with militants after the war as a proxy for Pakistani influence in Afghanistan.

It was a huge mistake to destabilize things, other than being "dirty commies" the Soviet-backed Afghans were actually a lot more palatable on a human level. but another mistake was the USA abandoning it's allies in Afghanistan after the Soviets left: there were good moderate people like Massoud that the West left to fend for themselves against the Pakistan-backed nutjob element.

I think Pakistan is tolerated because it's basically the only way to access Afghanistan. If you don't have the bases there you can't wage war in Afghanistan at all. Otherwise you have to fight from bases in Iran or the ex-Soviet territories.

Yeah, and all that cold war destabilization and manipulation is coming back to bite us in the ass, several times.

That region is so complex and fractured in destabilization that sometimes it just seems like we should just slag the region (which is obviously, not an option), or maybe just get out of there and let everybody in there fight it out.

And now Iran is doing manipulation and destabilization of it's own.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15691 on: March 28, 2015, 09:46:24 pm »

People abscribe far too much significance to American actions and pay far too little attention to the underlying dangers of the situation that were averted such as, y'know, the growing risk of nuclear war between India and Pakistan that preceeded the coup...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15692 on: March 29, 2015, 01:49:38 pm »

But being a superpower without having a strong economical and political system behind you is impossible. Current Russia cannot physically be a world's superpower. Without communism or any other strong ideology, this is not possible.
Your arguments are good, but you should explain that to Putin, not us.

I don't believe that Putin doesn't know that.
You see, I think Putin knows that and he is trying anyway. As you said, it is doomed to fail, only question is how many people (including Russians) will die before Russia fells apart*.

Iran has spent more then a decade supporting efforts to undermine democracy in Lebanon and increasing tensions between Hamas and Israel.
Pretty weak argument, considering that USA had no problem with undermining democracy in many countries (not to mention many other things). I like many ideas propagated by USA, but I consider USA itself as morally bankrupt nation. Practice what you preach and all of that. If this is any consolation, I consider many other countries as even worse, but obviously it does not justify USA actions.

or maybe just get out of there and let everybody in there fight it out.
Yeah, because doing exactly that in Syria worked SO WELL. ::)

* And that, obviously, will be fault of Evil West, not Putin's warmongering and that little tiny thing called "consequences of one's actions". Obviously.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15693 on: March 30, 2015, 04:06:07 am »

The US-Iran relationship began to deteriorate 1979 when the pro-American Shah was ousted. The US allowed the Shah to seek treatment for his cancer in the US and that angered some Iranian groups into taking everyone in the US embassy hostage. Relations never bettered after that. But this thread is _european_ politics.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15694 on: March 30, 2015, 07:15:11 am »

Iran is in Europe isn't it?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15695 on: March 30, 2015, 07:19:28 am »

According to CNN it's probably right next to Ukraine, so yeah.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15696 on: March 30, 2015, 07:20:15 am »

If by virtue of sports Israel is in Europe, I see no reason why anywhere can not be.
This is a blank sig.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15697 on: March 30, 2015, 07:20:35 am »

Damnit, I couldn't find any maps illustrating my awesomly geographical powers.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15698 on: March 30, 2015, 08:48:38 am »

Also, Australia in the Eurovision. Wheeee!!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15699 on: March 30, 2015, 09:23:00 am »

The US-Iran relationship began to deteriorate 1979 when the pro-American Shah was ousted. The US allowed the Shah to seek treatment for his cancer in the US and that angered some Iranian groups into taking everyone in the US embassy hostage. Relations never bettered after that. But this thread is _european_ politics.
Wow, that wikipedia article is pretty badly laid out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80%93United_States_relations

Do if I'm understanding it right... there are 2 different heads of government.  The Shah and the Prime Minister?  Cause their reigns overlapped.
Shah - 1941-1979, close ties with US and overthrown by Iranian Revolution.
Prime Minister - ???-1953, CIA backed coup cause oil

The pro-murica shah was not a bastion of human welfare to begin with.  Not cause he went to murica.
EDIT: Shit pretty sure this was in there too but I couldn't find it again.  He probably just pissed off the Islamic hardliners.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:31:33 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15700 on: March 30, 2015, 09:28:31 am »

Yeah, pretty much the worst dictator of the region IIRC.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15701 on: March 30, 2015, 10:11:24 am »

Basically, it was a constitutional monarchy, then Mossadegh, the Prime Minister was ousted by the Shah with US and British support and it became a good old-fashioned absolute monarchy/dictatorship.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15702 on: March 30, 2015, 12:09:28 pm »

but the pm was a commmunist!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15703 on: March 30, 2015, 03:27:42 pm »

Sheb's Indo-European Politics megathread? I suppose that discounts Finland, Hungary, Estonia and the Basque Country from our discussions though.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15704 on: March 30, 2015, 03:44:04 pm »

Yeah, but who cares about those guys, anyway?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 1393