Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1039 1040 [1041] 1042 1043 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751316 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15600 on: March 26, 2015, 08:10:48 am »

Murder-suicide? Sounds like terrorism, but I suppose the pilot wasn't Islamic so they used a less aggressive term.
The co-pilot could've easily directed the plane towards one of the major France cities and wreck some major shit. Then it would've been a terrorist attack.

But this one is a murder-suicide.

The cockpit should get its own bathroom, might help some issues of leaving cockpit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15601 on: March 26, 2015, 08:14:08 am »

I guess a third pilot / security officer on all flights would drive all air companies bankrupt.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15602 on: March 26, 2015, 08:15:18 am »

The cockpit should get its own bathroom, might help some issues of leaving cockpit.

You are suggesting adding a cost to air travel to stop something that has happened once in hundreds of millions of flights since the cockpit locks were added.  There are more cost effective ways to save lives.

I guess a third pilot / security officer on all flights would drive all air companies bankrupt.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We cant guard against every extremely unlikely thing that can kill us.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15603 on: March 26, 2015, 08:16:59 am »

Like give the pilot a key.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15604 on: March 26, 2015, 08:19:45 am »

But security risks.....

In all honesty though, the pilot needs a way to get back in if he is locked out somehow.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15605 on: March 26, 2015, 08:20:52 am »

You are suggesting adding a cost to air travel to stop something that has happened once in hundreds of millions of flights since the cockpit locks were added.  There are more cost effective ways to save lives.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We cant guard against every extremely unlikely thing that can kill us.
Obviously we MUST PUT IN ONEROUS FEELGOOD SAFEGUARDS TO PREVENT THIS ONE OUT OF ZILLION THING FROM HAPPENING AGAIN!1!1!  plus terrorism and children rahrahrah

Seriously though, a toilet seat would be cheap... and awkward.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:22:43 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15606 on: March 26, 2015, 08:23:32 am »

Don't larger airplanes have a flight engineer or something anyway?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15607 on: March 26, 2015, 08:26:28 am »

This is a sensible solution. He should have had one already, really.  Give one to the co-pilot too, and possibly the flight engineer and third officer if they're present.
Seriously though, a toilet seat would be cheap...

Not on an airplane. There's no extra space they can just slap it down in, it'd take a major refit.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15608 on: March 26, 2015, 08:31:08 am »

This is a sensible solution. He should have had one already, really.  Give one to the co-pilot too, and possibly the flight engineer and third officer if they're present.
He did have a key. Well, a code.
Ever since 9/11, planes have been fitted with locked cabin doors. Now, the pilot (as well as some other flight crew members) does have a code he can enter from the outside, to open it. But.. To prevent crew from being forced to enter that code by terrorists, there is an override for this in the cockpit.
So I can only assume that while the pilot tried to enter the code to regain access to the cockpit, the suicidal co-pilot must have used the override to prevent that.

Sadly, this anti-terrorist measure makes it easier for suicidal pilots to fly into mountains.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:32:51 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15609 on: March 26, 2015, 08:36:36 am »

Yeah, while people will scream 'BUT, SECURITY! BUT, TERRORISTS!', a medical emergency theory was floated around and that is FAR more likely than someone commiting murder-suicide. Still, what's usually done is that the cockpit is a 'never alone zone', that is, someone is supposed to go in while the pilot or co-pilot goes out for whatever reason.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15610 on: March 26, 2015, 08:44:56 am »

A lockout crash has happened once.  Terrorist highjackings have happened a few dozen times.  Inaccessible cockpits are a good thing.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15611 on: March 26, 2015, 08:53:13 am »

Not on an airplane. There's no extra space they can just slap it down in, it'd take a major refit.
I'm not talking about a bathroom.  Carve a hole into the cabin seats and install a removable bucket under it.  Hose it down/empty it between flights.  Or I guess buy something a tad bit more fancy.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15612 on: March 26, 2015, 08:54:51 am »

A lockout crash has happened once.  Terrorist highjackings have happened a few dozen times.  Inaccessible cockpits are a good thing.

From the BBC article:
Other incidents thought to be caused by deliberate pilot action

29 November 2013: A flight between Mozambique and Angola crashed in Namibia, killing 33 people. Initial investigation results suggested the accident was deliberately carried out by the captain shortly after the first officer (also known as the co-pilot) had left the flight deck.
    31 October 1999: An EgyptAir Boeing 767 went into a rapid descent 30 minutes after taking off from New York, killing 217 people. An investigation suggested that the crash was caused deliberately by the relief first officer but the evidence was not conclusive.
    19 December 1997: More than 100 people were killed when a Boeing 737 travelling from Indonesia to Singapore crashed. The pilot - suffering from "multiple work-related difficulties" - was suspected of switching off the flight recorders and intentionally putting the plane into a dive.

Source: Aviation Safety Network
A good thing? Maybe. But certainly not the best thing.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15613 on: March 26, 2015, 08:58:55 am »

I'm not talking about a bathroom.  Carve a hole into the cabin seats and install a removable bucket under it.  Hose it down/empty it between flights.  Or I guess buy something a tad bit more fancy.

That sounds more like something you'd do in WWII era long-distance flights, lol.

From the BBC article:
Other incidents thought to be caused by deliberate pilot action

29 November 2013: A flight between Mozambique and Angola crashed in Namibia, killing 33 people. Initial investigation results suggested the accident was deliberately carried out by the captain shortly after the first officer (also known as the co-pilot) had left the flight deck.
    31 October 1999: An EgyptAir Boeing 767 went into a rapid descent 30 minutes after taking off from New York, killing 217 people. An investigation suggested that the crash was caused deliberately by the relief first officer but the evidence was not conclusive.
    19 December 1997: More than 100 people were killed when a Boeing 737 travelling from Indonesia to Singapore crashed. The pilot - suffering from "multiple work-related difficulties" - was suspected of switching off the flight recorders and intentionally putting the plane into a dive.

Source: Aviation Safety Network
A good thing? Maybe. But certainly not the best thing.

I should note that two of those are from before 9/11.

I wonder if the pilot tried to talk the co-pilot out of the suicide? 8 minutes is a pretty long time for someone commiting suicide to change their mind.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15614 on: March 26, 2015, 09:06:14 am »

If you're really worried about security, then give the pilot and co. personal radios to contact the tower, and give the tower a door lock over-ride. Codes and such to prevent the whole "You tell them to open up or else!" thing.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 1039 1040 [1041] 1042 1043 ... 1393