Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1028 1029 [1030] 1031 1032 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750755 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15435 on: March 22, 2015, 05:50:31 am »

Re: cold war: and the reverse isn't true for America?

Also, I think you're missing some quotation marks around peace.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15436 on: March 22, 2015, 05:55:15 am »

1) USA has got the nukes first, and to this day is still the only country that actually USED them in a war.
2) Why quotation marks? It has got really fucking peaceful with the nukes. The casualty counts have dropped several orders of magnitude compared to the previous period, with WW1 and WW2. There wasn't WW3, and it's because of nukes. Nukes are what made the today's era of world-wide peace possible. So why quotation marks?
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15437 on: March 22, 2015, 06:25:02 am »

He is a representative of the Russian government, not a representative of Russia. Calling it "Russia" gives an impression of unity that is the starting point for destructive nationalism.
I can agree on your sentiment on destructive nationalism completely. However, if you don't think the Russian government is representative for Russia, you should really get rid of it. (Because IMHO it is your government that is pushing Russians towards destructive nationalism, not the EU)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:27:12 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #15438 on: March 22, 2015, 06:35:18 am »

No thanks, we got rid of government twice in previous century, we got enough of civil wars and econokical chaos followed by downfall.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:37:00 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #15439 on: March 22, 2015, 06:55:06 am »

Why quotation marks? It has got really fucking peaceful with the nukes. The casualty counts have dropped several orders of magnitude compared to the previous period, with WW1 and WW2. There wasn't WW3, and it's because of nukes. Nukes are what made the today's era of world-wide peace possible. So why quotation marks?
You are talking about MAD.

And I do agree with you, MAD did assure a peaceful co-existence of western and eastern block. But you also have to agree that this co-existence was based on fear. Fear of mutually assured destruction. Everyone (with enough brain in their skull) was just scared shitless of pressing The Button.

But was that really needed? No, I mean, were people really that different on either side of the curtain when it came to just being people to? Different enough to warrant all this fear? Fuck no. And do we really need to re-live this atmosphere of imminent nuclear attack by a big bad evil Enemy? FUCK NO. There's a reason while MAS is preferable to MAD. I mean, hell, why do we need shit like this recent talk about nuclear weapons? Oh, and don't think I think the west is completely blameless. I'm sure if I'd dig enough I could bring up both recent and old, fringe and mainstream threats against Russia. It's just usually western media do that in either more veiled fashion or so ridiculous-it's-just-silly fashion. And I'm far from NATO lover but I also, sadly, have to disagree with certain people here who are of opinion NATO represents direct threat against the Russia. But what is the point of this rant? The point is I'm sick of this. I'm sick of this hidden and open fear-mongering by both sides. I'm sick of unnecessary escalation of the current west-east geo-political situation. Fuck, I want to go to Russia and say I come from Europe without people thinking I'm either some poor sod cleaning toilets for German overlords or outright enemy of Russia. And fuck, I want people from Russia on other "non-western" countries to visit "western" countries and NOT feel like they are being judged, mocked or pitied. Things like this video? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could find some examples of people living pretty decent under the Soviet Union, agreed there. And I'm pretty sure I could also find examples of people living completely decent in ex-Soviet/EU countries now. AND I'm pretty sure I could find negative examples for both cases. But I'm sick of this political posturing and nationalist bullshit. Europe, Union or not, has seen a dangerous rise of radical, extremist groups in recent years. We don't need this bullshit. And any animosity with other countries, no, we don't need this. EU is not perfect. Russia is not perfect.

I'd just like if I'd just... I'd just like if some people would not try and make it look like people of "west" are really that different from people of "east", you know?  :-\
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15440 on: March 22, 2015, 07:04:53 am »

1) USA has got the nukes first, and to this day is still the only country that actually USED them in a war.
2) Why quotation marks? It has got really fucking peaceful with the nukes. The casualty counts have dropped several orders of magnitude compared to the previous period, with WW1 and WW2. There wasn't WW3, and it's because of nukes. Nukes are what made the today's era of world-wide peace possible. So why quotation marks?

Because peace is such a relative term. While it's true that there hasn't been a conflict between two major powers that are on roughly equal footing, there has still been some conflict. Ignoring the various civil wars that have happened in the 20th century and ignoring the fact that the Korean conflict never formally ended (because NK is wierd), there have been smaller wars, like the Iraq wars, the Chechen war, the annexation of Crimea, the Balkan conflicts of the 90s, the entire MidEast and North Africa right now due to terrorists, the drug gang conflicts in Mexico, Central America, and parts of South America.

@sinistar: MAS? Mutually Assured Stroke? Mutually Assured Stupidity? Mutually Assured Slaughter?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:20:40 am by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15441 on: March 22, 2015, 07:09:17 am »

-snip-
Look, I also don't like the peace to be based on fear, but there isn't any other way! Literally - there's no other way to make large groups of people be at peace with each other. Humans just work that way. We (humans) will always find some distinction to divide all humans into "us" and "them" and then start to rally for a war against "them". And if there isn't the guarantee of unavoidable destruction in case you attempt to war against "them", then the war will happen eventually.

And this will continue to happen, until we completely overwrite our biological and social instincts which cause us to do that.
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15442 on: March 22, 2015, 07:20:01 am »

That is a very depressing view of humanity there Sergarr.

“Optimism is a strategy for making a better future. Because unless you believe that the future can be better, you are unlikely to step up and take responsibility for making it so.”  - Noam Chomsky
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15443 on: March 22, 2015, 07:21:37 am »

But martin, waving your nuclear wangs around is important too!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15444 on: March 22, 2015, 07:23:47 am »

But martin, waving your nuclear wangs around is important too!

Until two waving around nuclear wangs collide.....

Okay that was bad, I think.....

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15445 on: March 22, 2015, 07:36:17 am »

You guys just can't stop talking about Russia, don't you?
Seriously, you have internet, which allows you to soothe the tenses your governments force on you by speaking directly to people half over the globe to see they are no less and no more human than you are, and all you do is ensue the conflict? From both sides? Why do you do that?

Well, if some guy in the White House decides that Russia can be easily defeated by conventional means and bombs start falling at my home one summer morning, all this Internet connection won't make my situation any better.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:39:49 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15446 on: March 22, 2015, 07:39:12 am »

You're seriously overestimating the amount shits that the white house gives about reheating the cold war.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15447 on: March 22, 2015, 07:40:01 am »

Seriously, you have internet, which allows you to soothe the tenses your governments force on you by speaking directly to people half over the globe to see they are no less and no more human than you are, and all you do is ensue the conflict? From both sides? Why do you do that?

Well, if some guy in the White House decides that Russia can be easily defeated by conventional means and bombs start falling at my home one summer morning, [abbr=""YOU FUCKERS HAVE BOMBED MY FUCKING HOUSE FUCK YOU NATO FASCIST SCUM" - "It's all your fault, Guardian - if you had aligned yourself with the West, this wouldn't have happened"" - "WELL FUCK YOU YOU SC-" -nuked-]all this Internet connection won't make my situation any better[/abbr].

You're in Belarus anyway, not Russia.

You're seriously overestimating the amount shits that the white house gives about reheating the cold war.

The current one anyway, hard to say for the next president if they're republican because there ARE some people who actually want to reheat up the cold war.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:43:24 am by smjjames »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15448 on: March 22, 2015, 07:48:05 am »

Well, if some guy in the White House decides that Russia can be easily defeated by conventional means and bombs start falling at my home one summer morning, [abbr=""YOU FUCKERS HAVE BOMBED MY FUCKING HOUSE FUCK YOU NATO FASCIST SCUM" - "It's all your fault, Guardian - if you had aligned yourself with the West, this wouldn't have happened"" - "WELL FUCK YOU YOU SC-" -nuked-]all this Internet connection won't make my situation any better[/abbr].

You're in Belarus anyway, not Russia.

Belarus is a Russian military ally housing Russian aircraft and strategic land connections leading to Moscow. We'll be hit on day 1 if shit hits the fan.

Also, pardon me if I sound flamey, but the popular sentiment stating that the West can easily win a conventional war with Russia is very much present, among both ordinary people and Pentagon strategists, and that is really dangerous.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:50:19 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15449 on: March 22, 2015, 07:49:38 am »

Well, if some guy in the White House decides that Russia can be easily defeated by conventional means and bombs start falling at my home one summer morning, all this Internet connection won't make my situation any better.
Someone politely tells you to calm down already, and you respond with more delusional ranting. I have to repeat the question: Why do you do that?
Pages: 1 ... 1028 1029 [1030] 1031 1032 ... 1393