Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1024 1025 [1026] 1027 1028 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750583 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15375 on: March 17, 2015, 08:27:22 pm »

I thought the prime minister was elected though?

Sounds much closer to the majority whip thing in congress than an elected Prime Minister.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15376 on: March 17, 2015, 08:32:51 pm »

Sounds much closer to the majority whip thing in congress than an elected Prime Minister.

He is elected by parliament (basically his fellow MPs from winning party), not the people. The only people from the general public who directly elect him are his constituents. Cameron is an MP in the first place because 33,000 people in Oxfordshire voted for him.

It's theoretically possible (though extremely unlikely) for Cameron to get voted out by his constituents on election day, and the Tories to still win and form a government. It would just have to be without Cameron.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:41:42 pm by Owlbread »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15377 on: March 17, 2015, 08:39:20 pm »

Plus, the US didn't even own Alaska until recently, it was Russian originally.
Events that occurred in 1867:
  • Constitution of the North German Confederation comes into effect, creating a confederation of states under the leadership of Prussia and Otto von Bismarck.
  • The first volume of Das Kapital is published by Karl Marx.
  • The purchase of Alaska from Alexander II by Secretary of State William H. Seward in an event known as "Seward's Folly".

Not very recent.

I believe not. Same with Netanyahu I believe. And Canada.
Imagine if every government minister in the US was a Congressman
Also, this legit freaked me out for a moment. God, no, please, no.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15378 on: March 17, 2015, 08:49:32 pm »

The problem with that graphic notquitethere is it doesn't show the potential second general election this year (if confidence vote fails) and it doesn't show that, regardless of whether Labour are the largest party, that doesn't mean they get to form the government. The SNP (Nat on the graphic) have also ruled out any kind of coalition at all with the Tories - so it would have to be Tory/Lib Dem/DUP or something.
Sure and though some coalition combos have been formally ruled out (Labour + SNP for instance), there could still be confidence and supply agreements.

It developed out of a system where the King would choose ministers. It's possible (though unlikely) for the PM to lose their seat and be replaced during a General Election.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15379 on: March 17, 2015, 08:54:03 pm »

Sure and though some coalition combos have been formally ruled out (Labour + SNP for instance), there could still be confidence and supply agreements.

The important difference between those possible combos is that the SNP have sworn not to put a Tory gov into power in any way. That means no confidence and supply with the Tories. Some kind of confidence and supply arrangement has not been ruled out between Labour and the SNP.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15380 on: March 17, 2015, 08:56:53 pm »

My prediction: there'll be a Lab minority government propped up by an SNP confidence and supply arrangement, and David Cameron and Nick Clegg will lose their jobs and the tabloids will join forces to demonise the Scottish.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15381 on: March 17, 2015, 09:02:57 pm »

My prediction: there'll be a Lab minority government propped up by an SNP confidence and supply arrangement, and David Cameron and Nick Clegg will lose their jobs and the tabloids will join forces to demonise the Scottish.

I think this is very likely. I do worry about a potential second election, however - would a Miliband gov. survive the confidence vote?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15382 on: March 17, 2015, 09:05:34 pm »

Prime Minister is a closer analogue to Speaker of the House.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15383 on: March 17, 2015, 09:24:45 pm »

however - would a Miliband gov. survive the confidence vote?
Possibly not, but I don't think there'd be much will for a second election. There'd be lower turnout and the Nationalist parties would probably do even better a second time around. That said... the Conservatives are the only party that could afford a second election, so maybe if they didn't form a government they'd try to press for another election.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15384 on: March 18, 2015, 07:02:51 am »

Prime Minister is a closer analogue to Speaker of the House.

No. A prime minister is the actual head of government. In parliamentary systems, that office is separate from the head of state. In U.S. politics, that'd probably be about half the functions of the president, with vastly different rules. There just is no decent analogy.

The polish republic e.g. has the President of Poland (head of state, fixed term of office, popular election), the Prime Minster (head of government, elected by the parliamentary majority, depends on parliamentary confidence to stay in office) and the Sejm-marshal (head of parliament).

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15385 on: March 18, 2015, 10:44:48 am »

Did anyone mention yet that Russia will place nuclear-capable missiles in Königsberg? Waaaay to deescalate, Putin. Great step towards lasting peace. *Slow clap*
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15386 on: March 18, 2015, 11:01:16 am »

Did anyone mention yet that Russia will place nuclear-capable missiles in Königsberg? Waaaay to deescalate, Putin. Great step towards lasting peace. *Slow clap*
"Lasting peace" through good will has already been tanked by that "return Crimea back into Ukraine against its will or we'll continue to sanction you" statement, might as well try to scare the world into backing off.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15387 on: March 18, 2015, 11:10:20 am »

In other news, the ECB managed to upset the German left or something. Riots in Frankfurt, cars, public transport and firefighters were attacked.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15388 on: March 18, 2015, 11:46:48 am »

Well, in one way, it does deescalate things, mainly lowering the chance of a war over Crimea.  On the other hand, you got our good ol' MAD.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15389 on: March 18, 2015, 05:46:54 pm »

No. A prime minister is the actual head of government.

So is the speaker of the house.  The high public profile of the president means that he uses his posture to "introduce" legislation but legislation generally originates in the house of representatives*.  The president has the bully pulpit of a prime minister but the speaker is the one with the actual powers that chooses what congress votes on and what the agenda of the majority party.

*although recently the senate has started taking a piece of legislation, striking out every single word in it then adding a completely new bill as an addendum and sending it back to the house.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 1024 1025 [1026] 1027 1028 ... 1393