Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1023 1024 [1025] 1026 1027 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750768 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15360 on: March 17, 2015, 11:24:15 am »

Plus, the US didn't even own Alaska until recently, it was Russian originally.

Imagine what the faces of Russians looked like when gold was found there after ownership was given over to the US, lol. Bet there was a lot of facepalming going around.
It was a very reasonable decision at the moment. Alaska was barely defended (one fort with couple of cannons) so selling it was a much better choice than simply losing it. Plus, it's not like we didn't have our Siberia, which is worth several Alaskas while being much closer.
._.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15361 on: March 17, 2015, 12:47:28 pm »

Imagine what the faces of Russians looked like when gold was found there after ownership was given over to the US, lol. Bet there was a lot of facepalming going around.
It was a very reasonable decision at the moment. Alaska was barely defended (one fort with couple of cannons) so selling it was a much better choice than simply losing it. Plus, it's not like we didn't have our Siberia, which is worth several Alaskas while being much closer.
Hindsight for stuff like that is 20/20.  What can ya do about it?  Other then declaring war over it. /s
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15362 on: March 17, 2015, 01:00:26 pm »

The article states that "In the summer, for example, 40 per cent of Germany’s energy comes from its solar farms" OMG, Germany will explode is it looses 40% of it's energy! 
Well not quite, at midday during peak power production 40% of Germany's energy is from solar, which is impressive, I'm astounded by that figure really, however in total only 7% of the country's energy is solar, if the grid can cope without those panels at night I'm sure it can cope for an hour during the eclipse, if not then some people will have to shut their air conditioners and computers off for a bit. Doomsday approaches.
Not energy, electricity.

Daily mail is hilarious.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #15363 on: March 17, 2015, 01:17:59 pm »

YOU DAMN LIBERAL SHEEPLE, DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND

OUR DAYLIGHT IS BEING STOLEN, NO, IT IS OUTRIGHT UNDER ATTACK, OUR LIBERTIES TRAMPLED, OUR HONOR SHAMED

WE MUST WAGE WAR AGAINST THE MOON
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15364 on: March 17, 2015, 02:03:49 pm »

YOU DAMN LIBERAL SHEEPLE, DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND

OUR DAYLIGHT IS BEING STOLEN, NO, IT IS OUTRIGHT UNDER ATTACK, OUR LIBERTIES TRAMPLED, OUR HONOR SHAMED

WE MUST WAGE WAR AGAINST THE MOON
For a second there I thought I was in the wrong community.
Taste my Paci-Fist

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15365 on: March 17, 2015, 02:17:56 pm »

Hindsight for stuff like that is 20/20.  What can ya do about it?  Other then declaring war over it. /s

I'm pretty sure there was nothing stopping Russian people from joining the Yukon gold rush, if they could afford it anyway.

Anyhow, the Israeli elections are today. I hope Issac Herzog becomes the next PM because maybe there will be someone reasonable for once, and Netanyhu has outright stated that he won't compromise. Besides, his way of dealing with things isn't working.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15366 on: March 17, 2015, 02:33:01 pm »

The US government has announced it will lift anti-Russian sanctions only if Russia abandons the Crimean peninsula.
Thus, the US-Russian stand-off shall continue either until the end of the USA or until Russia's unconditional surrender to America (caused by a war or a pro-US coup d'etat).
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15367 on: March 17, 2015, 02:40:53 pm »

The US government has announced it will lift anti-Russian sanctions only if Russia abandons the Crimean peninsula.
Thus, the US-Russian stand-off shall continue either until the end of the USA or until Russia's unconditional surrender to America (caused by a war or a pro-US coup d'etat).

Or until the end of Russia or Americas unconditional surrender or a more pro-Russian president (and probably congress) comes to power.

Or maybe just until cooler heads prevail and people actually negotiate, and the fighting in Ukraine stops.

If Russia gets a more pro-US government, somehow I don't think they'd let go of Crimea even then.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15368 on: March 17, 2015, 02:45:30 pm »

Give it a few years...  Crimea will become defacto Russia.  Just as it had become defacto Ukraine in the past.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15369 on: March 17, 2015, 03:33:14 pm »

Welp, better settle in for another 10 to 20 years of frosty Russian/US relations. Not that they were peachy keen previously, but, this seems like the kind of tit-for-tat that leads up to another official Cold War.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15370 on: March 17, 2015, 07:59:21 pm »

It's not very high resolution unfortunately, given that it's come from social media, but it should be of interest to my fellow UK citizens/subjects on this board.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15371 on: March 17, 2015, 08:02:58 pm »

Spoiler: I prefer this graphic (click to show/hide)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15372 on: March 17, 2015, 08:09:48 pm »

Why would Cameron resign if theres a labor majority? I don't think that's how it works? That'd be like Obama resigning just because both houses of congress got a republican majority :P

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15373 on: March 17, 2015, 08:19:33 pm »

This might be flamebait, but I'm curious about what people think about it. Just ignore the title, they need their clicks. I suspect much of it is nonsense, but I really don't know where to start on the question.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15374 on: March 17, 2015, 08:20:23 pm »

The problem with that graphic notquitethere is it doesn't show the potential second general election this year (if confidence vote fails) and it doesn't show that, regardless of whether Labour are the largest party, that doesn't mean they get to form the government. The SNP (Nat on the graphic) have also ruled out any kind of coalition at all with the Tories - so it would have to be Tory/Lib Dem/DUP or something.

Why would Cameron resign if theres a labor majority? I don't think that's how it works? That'd be like Obama resigning just because both houses of congress got a republican majority :P

Cameron is not a president. He's a sitting MP and leader of his party in Westminster - the 2015 GE is when he'll have to go through reelection like all the other MPs. Imagine if every government minister in the US was a Congressman - government formed in Congress as it were, with the leader of the dominant group/coalition (now would be Republicans) acting as the President with no nationwide election on whether he personally should rule. So yeah, imagine President Kevin McCarthy...

In order for a Labour majority government to form he has to resign from his post because Miliband couldn't become PM otherwise. He'll probably stay as an MP but may resign as Tory leader so Boris Johnson can step in.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:27:45 pm by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 1023 1024 [1025] 1026 1027 ... 1393