Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1017 1018 [1019] 1020 1021 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750383 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15271 on: March 13, 2015, 10:52:59 am »

It was very popular in the early 70s in Scotland when Jim Murphy was growing up. It's less common nowadays but I think some young kids do it still.

But this is a perfect example of a Scottish politician trying and failing to appeal to the working class vote - basically, he and Nicola Sturgeon and a few other party leaders were asked if they ever smoked cannabis when they were younger. Nicola Sturgeon said yes, but Jim Murphy, trying to portray her as a rich kid or something, said something along the lines of "oh well drugs were hard to get in the scheme where I was growing up, but the dreadful, harmful thing we had was sniffing glue out of crisp packets" etc. Sturgeon and the interviewer both asked Murphy if he ever did it and he laughed and said "I can't remember".

Lo and behold, the flurry of headlines this morning in the Scottish press about Jim Murphy sniffing glue out of crisp packets (for American readers, empty potato chip packets).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15273 on: March 13, 2015, 12:13:17 pm »

I remember kids huffing glue in bags in one school I went to in London in the 90s; at the time I had no idea what they were doing but now looking back...

Storm. Teacup.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15274 on: March 13, 2015, 12:15:53 pm »

It was very popular in the early 70s in Scotland when Jim Murphy was growing up. It's less common nowadays but I think some young kids do it still.

But this is a perfect example of a Scottish politician trying and failing to appeal to the working class vote - basically, he and Nicola Sturgeon and a few other party leaders were asked if they ever smoked cannabis when they were younger. Nicola Sturgeon said yes, but Jim Murphy, trying to portray her as a rich kid or something, said something along the lines of "oh well drugs were hard to get in the scheme where I was growing up, but the dreadful, harmful thing we had was sniffing glue out of crisp packets" etc. Sturgeon and the interviewer both asked Murphy if he ever did it and he laughed and said "I can't remember".

Lo and behold, the flurry of headlines this morning in the Scottish press about Jim Murphy sniffing glue out of crisp packets (for American readers, empty potato chip packets).
Of course he can't remember -- that's what inhalant abuse does to you.
Also, "packet" = "bag?"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15275 on: March 13, 2015, 02:38:21 pm »

Now I am curious just what kind of glue they used for this..

Rubber cement?
Superglue?
...Mucilage?
Perhaps silicone?

I cant shake this mental image of kids squirting a bunch of glue into a paper bag, then doing the "Hyperventilation thing", then passing out with googly eyes.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15276 on: March 13, 2015, 02:49:52 pm »

Isn't mucilage a body fluid and not a glue?

I was kind of thinking just regular glue that you use in school, Elmers glue for example.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15277 on: March 13, 2015, 02:54:37 pm »

Isn't mucilage a body fluid and not a glue?

I was kind of thinking just regular glue that you use in school, Elmers glue for example.
Usually it's the kind of glue used to mend shoes. No idea on the official nome of that stuff, though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15278 on: March 13, 2015, 02:57:30 pm »

Mucilage is used to bind leather, (as in shoes), and also to bind paper products together-- such as old fashioned envelopes and stamps.

It has a few other uses as well.  You can still buy it. Elmers makes a mucilage based glue.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15279 on: March 14, 2015, 07:24:52 am »

Of course he can't remember -- that's what inhalant abuse does to you.
Also, "packet" = "bag?"

Yes indeed, I should have said. A crisp packet is like an empty bag of potato chips.

I remember kids huffing glue in bags in one school I went to in London in the 90s; at the time I had no idea what they were doing but now looking back...

Storm. Teacup.

It's a lot of fuss over nothing, but I did find something about it hilarious.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #15280 on: March 14, 2015, 08:18:17 am »

Storm. Teacup.
Storm Teacup sounds like an upcoming indie act.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15281 on: March 14, 2015, 02:32:08 pm »

It's so common in Ireland that it has it's own theme song!
I prefer the video where they open up with that not gay nightclub thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15282 on: March 15, 2015, 04:15:57 pm »

Storm. Teacup.
They're headling alongside Mountain. Molehill.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #15283 on: March 15, 2015, 04:23:07 pm »

Storm. Teacup.
Or progressive metal band.
Storm Corrosion already is one (Steven Wilson + Mikael Akerfeldt), so accusations of ripoffery ahoy!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15284 on: March 15, 2015, 07:18:03 pm »

I know Russia is mostly off limits these days, but I have to hear from my good friends in Russia - how's Putin doing? The UK tabloids are putting out stories about Putin disappearing and the possibility of a coup. Apparently the Israeli ambassador to Russia said there were "signs of a coup". What's going on?

There's all kinds of crazy stories going around about the security services and oligarchs...
Pages: 1 ... 1017 1018 [1019] 1020 1021 ... 1393