Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1015 1016 [1017] 1018 1019 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750199 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15240 on: March 11, 2015, 04:01:25 pm »

The Mr. Greece's Wild Ride has reached the next level of happening.

If they just want Greek cultural artifacts that were stolen by the nazis, I would go with that since that actually is stolen property, but other than that, hasn't Germany been punished enough?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15241 on: March 11, 2015, 04:11:13 pm »

The Mr. Greece's Wild Ride has reached the next level of happening.

If they just want Greek cultural artifacts that were stolen by the nazis, I would go with that since that actually is stolen property, but other than that, hasn't Germany been punished enough?

More than that. They want reparations for destroyed infrastructure, a repayment of the forced loan the Nazis required from occupied Greece, among other things.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15242 on: March 11, 2015, 04:13:01 pm »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15243 on: March 11, 2015, 06:13:10 pm »

I hope they forgot that it was actually Italy who declared war on greece. Germany came later when we were being soundly defeated.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15244 on: March 11, 2015, 06:20:27 pm »

I was also thinking, 'what about the allies who did bombing in Greece?', though trying to get reparations out of Britian (don't know how much the US was involved in Greece) would look pretty silly,

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15245 on: March 11, 2015, 06:28:14 pm »

I was also thinking, 'what about the allies who did bombing in Greece?', though trying to get reparations out of Britian (don't know how much the US was involved in Greece) would look pretty silly,
Not more silly than what they're doing right now. It's almost if they try to provoke Germany into doing something extraordinary to them.
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15246 on: March 11, 2015, 07:08:41 pm »

I think Syriza's failings as a leftist movement and tendency towards right wing populism are just symptomatic of the state of things in Greece. If it wasn't Syriza doing this stuff it'd be the Golden Dawn or something.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15247 on: March 11, 2015, 07:56:11 pm »

True, true. Societal unrest tends to follow the path of least resistance, and defenceless (ethnic) minorities make the easiest targets (far easier than Germany or the economic aristocracy). The sad thing is that a more-than-nominally-leftist movement could never have gained mass support without the crisis (which sadly holds for other European parties as well), so Syriza was pretty much destined to become the lesser of two (or more) evils amidst the turmoil.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15248 on: March 11, 2015, 09:47:18 pm »

Not more silly than what they're doing right now.

While Germany dicked a lot of people around during WWII, Greece in addition to the normal had large amounts of currency appropriated from them.  While the issue of wartime damages was considered settled after WWII, the issue of one nation coercing another into one sided transfer of currency was only relevant in two cases.  France obtained compensation through other channels.

Of course people will chose to ignore the subtleties and instead make stupid yuk yuk noises.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15249 on: March 11, 2015, 09:52:54 pm »

Not more silly than what they're doing right now.

While Germany dicked a lot of people around during WWII, Greece in addition to the normal had large amounts of currency appropriated from them.  While the issue of wartime damages was considered settled after WWII, the issue of one nation coercing another into one sided transfer of currency was only relevant in two cases.  France obtained compensation through other channels.

Of course people will chose to ignore the subtleties and instead make stupid yuk yuk noises.
Pretty sure the issue is that Germany has (according to itself) already paid for it.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15250 on: March 11, 2015, 10:04:58 pm »

That's for the courts to decide.  Which is why the Greeks are making a claim.  A claim you are mocking them for.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15251 on: March 11, 2015, 10:10:23 pm »

I'm not mocking the claim itself, but seizing property is going a little bit too far.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15252 on: March 11, 2015, 10:11:13 pm »

mainiac, that forced loan is an issue entirely separate from the issue at hand, in which the Greeks are making quite blatantly fraudulent claims. Using the atrocities of Nazi Germany for populist brownie points is a low point, though I guess it was t be expected from a government with strong rightist participation.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15253 on: March 11, 2015, 10:39:49 pm »

The article only had two discussed claims that I can see.  One was the case I described before.  The other was a claim that had already been decided in favor of the greeks and gave them the legal authority to sieze German property which they have not yet chosen to exercise.  Please point me to the third claim which is "blatantly fraudulent claims".
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15254 on: March 11, 2015, 10:47:35 pm »

That would be the second one you're talking about -they've only won in front of a Greek court, and nations can't be tried in another nation's courts. Also the whole reparations issue was conclusively settled by the 2+4 Agreement; they don't have a leg to stand on.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 1015 1016 [1017] 1018 1019 ... 1393