Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749455 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15015 on: March 01, 2015, 02:24:24 pm »

Yes god forbid you waste five seconds second in introspection.
I'm a mindless Putin slave, what do you want from me, some sudden realization that will turn me to the True Path Of Democracy™?
We have cookies, citizen. Join us!

But yeah, in regards to Putin not being an idiot and having plenty of ways to kill his opposition - true. But a quiet death of a big figure raises greater alarm and pretty much guarantees only someone with extensive resources did it. Such as Putin.
Gunned down in public? Yeah, could have been anyone. Also sends a very clear message if it was him. Dissidence equals lead.
Remember, this is the man behind Putin's polonium poisoning bonanza. He knows full and well the value of public executions when it comes to silencing dissidents.
By that logic, any death of a big figure could be attributed by Putin.

Also, last time these dissidents had any political power (2011-2012 mass protests), there was a conspicuous lack of murders, even though by that logic, he should've gunned at least some of them down to suppress unrest. Instead, he just let people to roam a little, shouting obscenities aimed at him, to blow off their steam and return to normal life. A few people got arrested, but that happens at every major protest movement, like Occupy Wallstreet.

If he didn't do that then, why should he suddenly start to do so now, against a completely powerless (10 000 people on the march is the maximum extent of their capabilities) opposition that do not have any ability to hurt him, and whose deaths would only bolster and galvanize the opposition movement by creating another martyr?
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15016 on: March 01, 2015, 02:36:07 pm »

It's waiting until a period where unrest is low and then killing a few prominent sources of dissent in order to send a message to the rest. The public doesn't care because they're not feeling very revolutionary at the time, and people who can actually organize opposition get the message loud and clear.

Putin isn't going to try very hard to prove he didn't kill this guy, and the reason for that is because he's speaking through his death. The message is "I am the ruler of Russia, no one else." I'm not sure why you don't hear him when everybody else does.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15017 on: March 01, 2015, 02:43:25 pm »

It could very well have been some other political nutjob, completely unrelated to Putin. I don't see the purpose behind blaming Putin by default.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15018 on: March 01, 2015, 02:53:58 pm »

It's waiting until a period where unrest is low and then killing a few prominent sources of dissent in order to send a message to the rest. The public doesn't care because they're not feeling very revolutionary at the time, and people who can actually organize opposition get the message loud and clear.

Putin isn't going to try very hard to prove he didn't kill this guy, and the reason for that is because he's speaking through his death. The message is "I am the ruler of Russia, no one else." I'm not sure why you don't hear him when everybody else does.
I know of at least three other people who do not believe that. By "everybody else" you must've meant "everybody else in the West"? Or we'll continue with passively-aggressively saying that I'm deaf and brainwashed?

And what's with this love of theatrics? Putin is a really pragmatical guy, he doesn't go for cheap show like shooting someone right next to Kremlin. He's just not the type of person to do that. For fuck's sake, he has an entire government to send anyone he wants to jail and rob them of all money (he did that to Hodarkovsky), why would he actually want to kill people, when he could simply de-power them at any moment?

P.S. I'll try to refrain from further bringing Russia topic up in this thread. must work on my anger management
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:09:36 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15019 on: March 01, 2015, 03:06:29 pm »

Uhm, guys, this is kind of ridiculous.
I mean, I'm not really sure whether Putin is interested in finding the killer or not. But somehow twisting the promise of 3*10⁶ rubles around into a story about how the police is searching for unicorns (when the killer actually exists, you know) is… uhm… how do I put this? Well, no sugarcoating it: You're acting like complete assholes.
Point taken. Maybe it's time to stop the Russia-derail? Who wants to discuss the Estonian elections?

If you are Estonian or just well-informed, could you perhaps lay out the situation for us? I've heard about it being an important election in the news (a woman they interviewed said there was so much obnoxious advertising it reminded her of Soviet times), but a fuller view'd be appreciated. And, though that takes us dangerously close back to Russia, I'd like to hear about the major parties' foreign policy, ie, stance on Russia.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15020 on: March 01, 2015, 03:21:33 pm »

I mean, I'm not really sure whether Putin is interested in finding the killer or not. But somehow twisting the promise of 3*10⁶ rubles around into a story about how the police is searching for unicorns (when the killer actually exists, you know) is… uhm… how do I put this? Well, no sugarcoating it: You're acting like complete assholes.
Point taken. Maybe it's time to stop the Russia-derail? Who wants to discuss the Estonian elections?

If you are Estonian or just well-informed, could you perhaps lay out the situation for us? I've heard about it being an important election in the news (a woman they interviewed said there was so much obnoxious advertising it reminded her of Soviet times), but a fuller view'd be appreciated. And, though that takes us dangerously close back to Russia, I'd like to hear about the major parties' foreign policy, ie, stance on Russia.
I only know what I've read from the papers and the Net, which isn't much. I know that people have been bashing Edgar Savisaar for being pro-Putin (among other things), and it looks like his Centre Party is going to lose some seats to the Reform Party.
http://poliitika.postimees.ee/3107715/reformierakond-juhib-keskerakond-teine

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15021 on: March 01, 2015, 06:50:36 pm »

Oh boo hoo.  If Sergarr doesn't want people mocking him for saying ridiculous shit then he should stop saying ridiculous shit.  If he didn't act like his desperate latching onto the first plausible explanation was proof and then stick to his guns then this conversation wouldn't be happening.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:52:35 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15022 on: March 01, 2015, 07:37:52 pm »

I don't really see how what he said was any more ridiculous than the default assumption that everything happening in Russia ever is always a farce.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15023 on: March 01, 2015, 08:16:46 pm »

Shush, Ostler :P
Regarding Estonia: I read somewhere that the turnout was a little more than 60% - that's quite high for a Baltic country, right?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15024 on: March 01, 2015, 09:24:20 pm »

I don't really see how what he said was any more ridiculous than the default assumption that everything happening in Russia ever is always a farce.

I dont see why that assumption is any more ridiculous then you assuming things I never said.  Such as me assuming I knew the killer's motive.  ::)

But hey, remember the important thing is that you got to act condescending to both sides.  Grats!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15025 on: March 02, 2015, 12:16:01 am »

Lots of obnoxious advertising? Sounds like normal election advertising.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15026 on: March 02, 2015, 06:35:53 am »

In America, maybe - European campaigning usually isn't quite as crazy because there's much less money behind it.
Cue conspiracy theory about Russia and the US financing their preferred Estonian parties this time.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15027 on: March 02, 2015, 07:11:30 am »

I disagree greatly with this man on almost all things relating to foreign policy but this blog post articulates what I was on about on the previous page much better than I ever could.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15028 on: March 02, 2015, 07:34:28 am »

Last sentence was kinda unnecessary IMO.
The Bay12 postcard club

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15029 on: March 02, 2015, 07:48:54 am »

I don't like all the bullshit tu quoque fallacies Pro-Russians pull whenever questioned on human rights in Russia, but I think it does pay to apply the same level of scrutiny to our own countries so that we may protect our own human rights.
Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 1393