Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 995 996 [997] 998 999 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749317 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14940 on: February 25, 2015, 04:34:52 pm »

Does CNN even tries to get these facts right? That's not the first time they made a geographical mistake.
._.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14941 on: February 25, 2015, 04:36:51 pm »

They also got their Congos mixed.
Furthermore, it's hard to see, but Serbia and Montenegro are still marked as united on that CNN map. South Sudan also doesn't exist.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14942 on: February 25, 2015, 04:37:47 pm »

Belgium is also a separate country on that map.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14943 on: February 25, 2015, 05:15:16 pm »

How can anyone mistake Poland Estonia Kaliningrad for Ukraine? Learn 2 geography, Murkans.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14944 on: February 25, 2015, 05:39:43 pm »

To be fair, when I was about to leave secondary school (High School) I remember one girl was convinced Africa was in fact a country, not a continent. Others wouldn't be able to find where our town was on a map. Most Americans I've met have been roughly as good at geography as anyone else. It's just lazy, incompetent media-reporters and the like that are the problem, and like any modern state America is awash with them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:41:49 pm by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14945 on: February 25, 2015, 05:42:15 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14946 on: February 25, 2015, 05:53:42 pm »

But Africa is a country.

And perhaps...

You can argue that, yes, but I'm not really happy with arguing for things like a United States of Africa on the basis that Africans are all "black" or something. I think it belittles the complexity and diversity of African peoples and reduces them to a "skin tone" (internalised colonialism) when a Northern Ethiopian is as different to a South African Bantu as I am from a Syrian Arab. For instance, it depresses me that black nationalists in America chose Swahili as a language to learn to connect with their heritage rather than one of the many West African languages they would have more of a connection with, such as Mande languages or Igbo or something.

In terms of international cooperation though I think a number of economic cooperatives are sensible and could do a lot of good to African people.

But yeah, rather than worrying about tearing down the borders between Liberia and Eritrea for instance, or Sudan and Jamaica, maybe we should consider tearing down the artificial borders between the multitude of Congolese states, or sorting out the travesty of about half of Somalia being divided among 3-4 different countries, all thanks to colonialism. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:05:10 pm by Owlbread »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14947 on: February 25, 2015, 06:39:13 pm »

How can anyone mistake Poland Estonia Kaliningrad for Ukraine? Learn 2 geography, Murkans.

That's Belarus.... :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14948 on: February 25, 2015, 06:42:32 pm »

Don't be silly. Belarus is like a large seal, with big teeth and a moustache.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14949 on: February 25, 2015, 07:22:59 pm »

Belarus, the Sea Lion of Europe. Belarus the Walru- oh, I get it now.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14950 on: February 26, 2015, 02:52:31 am »

To be fair, when I was about to leave secondary school (High School) I remember one girl was convinced Africa was in fact a country, not a continent. Others wouldn't be able to find where our town was on a map. Most Americans I've met have been roughly as good at geography as anyone else. It's just lazy, incompetent media-reporters and the like that are the problem, and like any modern state America is awash with them.
It's easy to be convinced that there's some bizarre conspiracy to ruin the American people's understanding of Geography, starting with the children's cartoons that actively edit out any mention of foreign cultures and other countries and ending in even the news channels being abysmal failures at pointing to the countries where they just sent their reporters.

Does CNN even tries to get these facts right? That's not the first time they made a geographical mistake.
They're closer than last time:
Ukrainistan:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Give it a year and they'll finally figure out where it is.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #14951 on: February 26, 2015, 03:47:23 am »

Yeah, that's CNN for you. They're shit-tier news like Fox News, but with lolcats and tabloids instead of angry old people race baiting. And don't be silly LW, a year from now they will be too busy covering a plane crash to even remember if Ukraine is a country or a continent.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14952 on: February 26, 2015, 05:20:47 am »

Belarus, the Sea Lion of Europe. Belarus the Walru- oh, I get it now.
Does that make Poland the Eggman?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14953 on: February 26, 2015, 02:31:52 pm »

"Why an SNP surge at Westminster could mean the end of Britain" - Alex Massie, Scottish Tory/Unionist and one of my favourite political columnists, claiming that British Unionism is probably going to be dealt a serious body blow this year by the SNP; one that could make independence inevitable.

My favourite quote from the piece:

Quote from: Massie
It is depressing that so many English Tories are plainly more exercised by ‘threats’ from Brussels than from Edinburgh. As one Cabinet member puts it: ‘Scotland really is, now, another country: I’ve given up understanding it.’

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14954 on: February 26, 2015, 02:34:36 pm »

"Why an SNP surge at Westminster could mean the end of Britain" - Alex Massie, Scottish Tory/Unionist and one of my favourite Scottish columnists, claiming that British Unionism is probably going to be dealt a serious body blow this year by the SNP; one that could make independence inevitable.

My favourite quote from the piece:

Quote from: Massie
It is depressing that so many English Tories are plainly more exercised by ‘threats’ from Brussels than from Edinburgh. As one Cabinet member puts it: ‘Scotland really is, now, another country: I’ve given up understanding it.’
I wonder when the next referendum will be... looks like the illusion of "Happy-Scotland-In-UK" that has been created by Pro-Britain media is trashed pretty throughly - by the hands of people who did not follow up on their promises of "devolution". Hopefully people won't get fooled the second time.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 995 996 [997] 998 999 ... 1393