Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 994 995 [996] 997 998 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749387 times)

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14925 on: February 20, 2015, 11:30:03 am »

I cannot find news article in English so I apologize.

There are rumors weapons used in French terrorist attack were supplied from Slovakia ....
My illusions of living in awesome safe and peaceful country are gone...

If by "awesome safe and peaceful country" you mean Slovakia then you're still in the clear. Slovakia being a centre for the illegal arms trade doesn't make it a centre for Islamic extremism.
I wouldn't be surprised if the rumours of that were true, given Czech Republic is, due to their lax gun laws, and the two used to be one country for most of the XXth century.

From what I heard Czech republic has better gun laws than Slovakia... To be clear, it is assumed terrorists legally bought guns which have been modified for it to be not possible to load them with lethal ammo, and they somehow modified them again to be able to do everything full auto ( illegal) AK47 can do. Slovakia has weak laws in control of those "safe" weapons IMO.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14926 on: February 20, 2015, 03:03:25 pm »

I'm not quite sure if laxer regulation on legal firearms directly causes expansion of the illegal arms trade.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14927 on: February 20, 2015, 04:59:30 pm »

I'm not quite sure if laxer regulation on legal firearms directly causes expansion of the illegal arms trade.

It is estimated that there are fewer then 1000 illegal firearms in Britain.

It's not a direct simple relationship between illegal firearms trade and lax gun regulations but very strict regulations will cause the trade to dry up.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14928 on: February 20, 2015, 05:19:56 pm »

It is estimated that there are fewer then 1000 illegal firearms in Britain.

It's not a direct simple relationship between illegal firearms trade and lax gun regulations but very strict regulations will cause the trade to dry up.

That's not strictly true - he estimated that most gun crime in Britain can be traced back to 1000 or so illegal firearms. That's quite an understandable statistic considering how guns get passed around in the underworld among gangs etc, that will involve a lot of re-use.

He didn't say that was an estimation for how many illegal firearms there are in Britain in total. The reason why I'm making a point about that is that in Northern Ireland you could potentially find enormous dumps of illegal firearms - submachine guns, AR15s, AK47s, but mostly handguns. The police find them all the time. The thing is though they aren't actually used in any kind of gun crime - they're just being kept around by paramilitaries "just in case". Similarly, there will be a lot of guns on the British gun market that are not used in gun crime; they're either getting bought and sold, maybe even passed on to other countries like Ireland, or they're being kept in caches for future use. Only one or two guns out of a cache of perhaps 20 will actually end up being used in gun crime. I know the IRA tend to keep their arms caches in the South so they can be used in crime in places like Dublin, but the UDA and UVF have similar arms caches in the North and it can be difficult to transfer guns across the border for future attacks so it makes sense the various paramilitaries will try to keep caches at least somewhere in their areas of influence.

I'm wondering though if, rather than the strict regulations actually causing the trade to dry up, the fact that Britain is so far-removed from any kind of serious conflict zone or similar where there's a lot of illegal firearms floating about naturally has more to do with it. I know Northern Ireland was pretty explosive in its own way, considering the vast quantities of illegal firearms that ended up in the North following that, but we've had very comprehensive arms decomissioning/surrendering programs over there that have taken a lot of the stock off the market. We know the IRA had roughly 1,000 rifles back in the 1980s, so that would be in addition to whatever was being used in Britain. It's quite interesting that even during an insurgency, when semi automatic rifles were legal, the IRA only had 1,000 rifles to their name. Somehow I think we can discount that statistic for the same reason that the police like to give very reduced estimates of protestors at political events. I also notice the statistics the BBC quoted when it gave that figure didn't make a mention of any SMGs, of which the IRA seemed to have hundreds.

Slovakia on the other hand is right on the doorstep of the former USSR - after the USSR collapsed, it's not like there was a war that caused all those ex-Soviet weapons to get spread around everywhere. The underworld just got its hands on them in the economic chaos in the '90s - those guns are still around now, arguably far more of them on the European continent than on the island of Great Britain or in Ireland. In addition to that you've got Chechnya and all sorts of areas of instability that contributed to the continental arms trade. The fact that we're spread over two islands probably has something to do with it too - it means illegal arms traders/suppliers need to find other ways of transporting the guns into the country, such as by boat, whereas Slovakia has all kinds of borders.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:29:18 pm by Owlbread »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14929 on: February 20, 2015, 05:26:05 pm »

I see.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14930 on: February 24, 2015, 04:30:25 pm »

Scottish Labour MP Jim Sheridan joins Tory MSP Mary Scanlon in objecting to a proposed St. Patrick's Day Parade in Glasgow and the recognition of the Irish in Scotland as an ethnic minority because it's "too divisive" and evidently "too nationalist" or "not forward looking enough". A St. Patrick's day parade is somehow... nationalist. Right.

Quote from: Jim Sheridan, my former MP
"If people want parades up and down the streets it is entirely up to them. I don't think that the taxpayer in these austere times should be asked to pay for it."

"People need to look forward, move forward and think of a modern Scotland and stop living in the past."

Hmmm... so I take it we should end taxpayer funded St. Andrews day celebrations then. And Robert Burns' night.

Quote from: Mary Scanlon, Tory MSP for the Highlands or something
"I am a unionist for the UK. We have just come out of the most divisive election ever in the history of my time in Scotland

"I do not want a Scotland divided on the lines of nationalism and unionism, that is not my Scotland."

She went on:

Quote from: Mary Scanlon, Tory MSP and horrible person
"They are an integrated, fully respected and loved members of our community, they are not different. This to me, I am afraid, I think is a little bit divisive."

Yes, we respect and love the Irish-Scots so much we won't even recognise they exist and won't allow them to have a council-funded St. Patrick's Day Parade in the city where most of them live. And evidently based on the way she put that sentence, are other distinguished ethnic minority groups like the Pakistani-Scots somehow less worthy of our love and respect because they're apparently "more different"?

The rest of the opposition to the planned parade is that the Orange Order would stage a counter protest against it because it's an expression of Irishness and Catholicism in Scotland, apparently. There's also concerns about idiot Sectarian IRA-supporting organisations and troublemakers using the parade for their own uses.

This is Scotland in 2015. Sometimes I need to remind myself of that, especially at times like this when it can be difficult to believe.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14931 on: February 24, 2015, 04:47:04 pm »

It's easier to keep your head in the sand than risk pissing everyone off. The lack of honesty about this safe politics is agonizingly standard.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14932 on: February 24, 2015, 04:53:36 pm »

I'm just pointing out that considering how Jim Sheridan is one of the MP's that would lose his seat if Lord Ashcroft's last poll was made reality, and the large number of Irish-Scots in his constituency, it's a remarkable folly for him to be allowed to make these statements in agreement with a Tory MSP on an issue like this. If the Labour branch leader Jim Murphy has any sense he'll get him to apologise; Labour need to win back the Irish-Scots vote that they used to consider some kind of god given right.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #14933 on: February 24, 2015, 04:58:48 pm »

I truly think a St. Patrick's day parade should be supported in this instance. St Patrick, whilst in modern days being associated much more heavily with the Catholic population, is also our national Saint. Whether by "Irish" you actually mean "Northern Irish" is sometimes hard to know, but for Republicans and Unionists it should be common ground, a shared piece of nationality as it were.

Unfortunately, Saint Patrick is seen less and less as the National Saint and more as the Catholic Saint.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14934 on: February 24, 2015, 05:08:58 pm »

I truly think a St. Patrick's day parade should be supported in this instance. St Patrick, whilst in modern days being associated much more heavily with the Catholic population, is also our national Saint. Whether by "Irish" you actually mean "Northern Irish" is sometimes hard to know, but for Republicans and Unionists it should be common ground, a shared piece of nationality as it were.

Unfortunately, Saint Patrick is seen less and less as the National Saint and more as the Catholic Saint.

I am glad you see it that way, Dwarfy. If only some of our Loyalist community saw the same, we'd be a better country for it.

In this case though I just mean "Irish" in general because the Irish in Scotland come from all over Ireland.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:10:51 pm by Owlbread »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14935 on: February 24, 2015, 06:33:12 pm »

Wait, I thought only us Catholics had saints!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #14936 on: February 25, 2015, 03:07:28 pm »

Nah. They're left overs from catholicism, but still of cultural significance to Protestant countries. E.g. St. George.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14937 on: February 25, 2015, 03:20:40 pm »

No, Anglicans are basically the only protestants who revere saints. I couldn't say what saint represents any place in my country, let alone the country itself. Well, except Stockholm, but I can't remember the name anyway (It's the dragon slaying dude).
Love, scriver~

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14938 on: February 25, 2015, 04:19:50 pm »

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14939 on: February 25, 2015, 04:24:19 pm »

They also got their Congos mixed.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 994 995 [996] 997 998 ... 1393