Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749252 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14880 on: February 17, 2015, 01:15:20 pm »

"Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist."

I don't know if that comment is directed at me personally/the Yes movement/the SNP (remembering what you said during the referendum campaign); I'm well aware that I'm not exempt from intellectual influence and with my very basic understanding of economics I'm probably enslaved to Keynes himself.

I'm just saying that I don't know if you can reduce this to economics at its root. There are too many factors at play; considering that the forces that drove the elite to botch the country's economic policies may very well be cultural rather than economic. I don't know what kind of government economic policies would have avoided the Thatcherites and New Labour and now the Con Dems.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14881 on: February 17, 2015, 02:30:58 pm »

Well without the cultural history there wouldn't have been a notion of Scotland in the first place.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14882 on: February 17, 2015, 03:45:03 pm »

Oh the joys of a First Past the Post election with multiple parties riding high in the polls. This is what it looks like when the powers-that-be (Labour/Conservatives) are absolutely shitting themselves at losing core support to the minor parties; vote banana, get tractor. I wonder if people in America will ever experience this any time soon.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14883 on: February 17, 2015, 04:26:02 pm »

The majority of overweight people in the UK, Scotland especially, are from the poorest backgrounds.
I'd be interested in the mechanism from which this correlation originates - it pretty much rules out genetic reasons. Is it really just fast food being cheaper?
-beautifulsongsnip-
I love the way the last line sounds when sung~
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14884 on: February 17, 2015, 04:35:32 pm »

It's not just fast food as in mcdonalds or kfc or whatever (allthough that certainly plays a big part) but more the cheap food in grocery stores being cheaper, and that food generally has a lot of sugars and such added to it.
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14885 on: February 17, 2015, 04:49:49 pm »

What 'cheap food' precisey though? I'm big on home-cooked meals, so I really don't know. Some of my co-students eat a lot of pre-cooked stuff that needs very litte preparation time - is that what you mean?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14886 on: February 17, 2015, 05:08:34 pm »

Oh the joys of a First Past the Post election with multiple parties riding high in the polls. This is what it looks like when the powers-that-be (Labour/Conservatives) are absolutely shitting themselves at losing core support to the minor parties; vote banana, get tractor. I wonder if people in America will ever experience this any time soon.

I thought you guys didn't have a FPTP system?

As for it happening in America, the third parties aren't powerful enough. Unless you mean losing core support to the minor parties? No idea. The whole FPTP system kind of pre-empts it.

Also, to NOBODYS SURPRISE, the rebels kept fighting, broke the ceasefire, and captured a key city. Ceasefires NEVER work unless all parties agree to it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:35:09 pm by smjjames »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14887 on: February 17, 2015, 06:32:45 pm »

I thought you guys didn't have a FPTP system?

As for it happening in America, the third parties aren't powerful enough. Unless you mean losing core support to the minor parties? No idea. The whole FPTP system kind of pre-empts it.

In Scotland we have a mixture; list seats are elected based on proportional representation for regions, constituency seats are elected as FPTP.

In Westminster, which is a completely different system, there is only FPTP - which basically guaranteed a two party system in some form or another, with one other party thrown into the mix as a minor. At the beginning of the 20th century it was Liberals vs Conservatives with Labour as a minor party representing the poorest, working class districts. As time went on it shifted to Labour vs Conservatives with Liberals as a minor party, predominantly representing rural areas which aren't wealthy enough to vote Tory. Now the Liberals are facing oblivion and huge tracts of Labour and Conservative support bases may go in strange directions; leading to potential UKIP gains and a big SNP presence. The parliament will be fractured as a result and will look very different.

If we had some kind of PR system in Westminster god knows what it would look like. Down south there would be a LOT of UKIP seats, that's for sure. A few greens too. Pre-2010 there would have been quite a few BNP seats as well but the racist vote has gone straight to UKIP these days. It would look very different in Scotland though - lots and lots of SNP seats in places like Glasgow where they tend to come in second place.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:37:45 pm by Owlbread »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14888 on: February 17, 2015, 07:52:09 pm »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14889 on: February 17, 2015, 08:19:17 pm »

I think there's a tendency among people of my political stripe in Scotland to refer to a "metropolitan elite" or the "London elite" or "Westminster" like it's the death star and the root of all evil and the rotten heart of the broken British system. I see now that kind of thinking is wooly and inaccurate.

Thank you for educating me on the fascinating power struggles going on down there - if more people in Scotland understood the power the City of London Corporation has over us both as Scotland and as the UK and the comparative lack-of-influence found in Westminster then I think our arguments would be a bit more nuanced. Maybe next time I find myself on a doorstep trying to convince someone about this sort of thing I'll explain to them that Westminster is basically Darth Vader, while the City of London Corporation is like the Emperor. But yes, to answer your question about why the No campaign actually won when they were so terrible, the answer is that the No Campaign didn't really exist. They had no activists, no ground presence. They were just a front for the Scottish financial elites (insurance companies, banks, supermarkets, oil companies) who have their interests vested in (...) the City of London! Who'd have thought it?

We were ahead in the polls right before the vote until the whole "shock and awe" thing happened where it seemed like every single day for about a week the biggest corporations in Scotland threatened withdrawing and moving to England because that's where all their customers were. That's what shifted the polls against us, not the No Campaign or the Vow or anything like that. The tragic thing is the SNP have absolutely no idea how to combat them, and that's what worries me more than anything. When I go to SNP constituency meetings we discuss the devolution of more powers, we discuss the Vow, we discuss what the Labour Party are doing, we discuss new proposals for policy. At the top level, Nicola Sturgeon's going down south banging on about austerity and Alex Salmond talks of "holding Westminster's feet to the fire".

I'm sorry folks, but what the hell are we doing? In the space of a year or so, reaching an almighty crescendo in the final week of the referendum, we saw the most powerful forces in the whole of Scotland and the UK at large rear their ugly heads as one against our movement. They were the ones that swung it - through their control of our media, our newspapers (still read by hundreds of thousands), our livelihoods, our economy. Scotland had a gun put to its head... and nobody's talking about it. What are we going to do about it? What the hell can we do about it? Even without the referendum we're still getting held hostage on a regular basis by the energy companies over fracking - this just simply cannot go on.

It often feels to me like we're fighting the wrong enemy, they're just puppets. I have no idea how to fight the right one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:44:02 pm by Owlbread »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14890 on: February 17, 2015, 09:23:34 pm »

You sound like the City of London should become it's own city state.

Though that'll happen as much as NYC is likely to become a city state.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14891 on: February 17, 2015, 09:26:48 pm »

You sound like the City of London should become it's own city state.

Though that'll happen as much as NYC is likely to become a city state.

I don't think the City of London even has a static population worth the name. It's not really a "City" from what I can tell, it's an entity. I mean, does Wall Street have a static population?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14892 on: February 18, 2015, 12:31:34 am »

Maybe instead of looking for a "gun to your head" you should listen to the voters who voted against?  Pretty much every faction that has lost an election ever is tempted to say "we really had a majority but X happened".
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14893 on: February 18, 2015, 04:08:55 am »

Just to clarify: Owlbread is not talking about London, but about the City of London Corporation, a weird cross between a local authority and a medieval merchant guild that rule over about a square mile of central London, is elected by residents and local businesses (which may appoint a certain number of electors) and de facto serve as a trade body for the London financial industry.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14894 on: February 18, 2015, 05:47:54 am »

Maybe instead of looking for a "gun to your head" you should listen to the voters who voted against?  Pretty much every faction that has lost an election ever is tempted to say "we really had a majority but X happened".

We're only appealing to the 5-10% of the No voters we can actually reach, who were motivated to vote No by the Vow/out of fear. Where did that fear come from if not the 12 months of corporate threats? Nevertheless it did concern me that we didn't sit around and have a meeting on "what went wrong" or went canvassing on No voters to find out why they voted No - what swung them etc. We know who they are - we have their addresses. Why aren't we using that info? I suspect that the post-referenum focus is on the Vow and the need for more powers to take scrutiny away from the flaws in the economic case (e.g. currency union) that needed revising for the future.

I maintain that regardless of what people on the doorsteps say we will face the exact same monsters next time which could be in the next 5 years. We need to find a way of playing their corporate game and getting a body of them on our side - I think the Eurosceptics winning the EU referendum may force the corporations our way, but I don't know.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:58:38 am by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1393