Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 979 980 [981] 982 983 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748050 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14700 on: January 29, 2015, 08:11:17 pm »

Maybe you're thinking of the Armchair General general thread? That one simply sunk due to inactivity.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14701 on: January 29, 2015, 08:14:33 pm »

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14702 on: January 29, 2015, 10:09:56 pm »

While we're still talking about Greece, heres a new SATW comic on Greece. http://satwcomic.com/brain-escape

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14703 on: January 30, 2015, 05:07:43 am »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14704 on: January 30, 2015, 08:06:37 am »

Not sure the relevance to current topics, but I'm surprised to hear this. But apon reflection it makes sense.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14705 on: January 30, 2015, 09:00:43 am »

The daily mail appears to be upset.
What the… How can anyone write this and be serious about it?
Taste my Paci-Fist

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14706 on: January 30, 2015, 09:06:57 am »

The Daily Mail can be serious about anything.  Also, obligatory.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14707 on: January 30, 2015, 09:14:00 am »

Not sure the relevance to current topics, but I'm surprised to hear this. But apon reflection it makes sense.
Google suggested it as a headline article, and it's tge daily mail, which is relevant enough for me.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14708 on: January 30, 2015, 09:36:06 am »

When I read that, I was like 'why are they making a big deal about something that happened 50 years ago?'

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14709 on: January 30, 2015, 10:57:20 am »

When I read that, I was like 'why are they making a big deal about something that happened 50 years ago?'
Because it's the 50th anniversary of Churchill's death?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14710 on: January 30, 2015, 12:56:24 pm »

I'm also American, so, I don't have the same hero worshippy feelings that you Brits have of Churchill.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14711 on: January 30, 2015, 01:09:07 pm »

I thought the hero worship was stronger outside Britain then inside.  The British kicked Churchill out of office in 1944.  Non-Britons, particularly conservatives, just remember him for the big talk and not for being unpopular enough to lose reelection in the middle of a war.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #14712 on: January 30, 2015, 01:15:09 pm »

By...you know, writing it. Given the circumstances it was written for, they felt they needed a story on Churchill. So, they wrote one.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14713 on: January 30, 2015, 04:42:29 pm »

I thought the hero worship was stronger outside Britain then inside.  The British kicked Churchill out of office in 1944.  Non-Britons, particularly conservatives, just remember him for the big talk and not for being unpopular enough to lose reelection in the middle of a war.
Not true, but not quite false. Churchill was reelected in 1951. Churchill is a British hero bigger than Robin Hood dunked in Queen Elizabeths - both of them. Churchill's popularity has seen him be posthumously voted the Greatest Briton - above Shakespeare, Darwin, Diana and Brunel. I don't know how popular Churchill is abroad, but I doubt it's as high as it is in Britain. It's safe to say that if you're regarded above any of those four - god damn are you popular.
On the flip side Churchill is also hated by a large number of Academics, Historians, Politicians (though voicing such hatred would be suicide) and London Intelligentsia for various reasons, most centering around his ruthlessness/imperialism/single-mindedness. He's polarizing to say the least, what makes him unpopular to some makes him popular to others. Right now headlines are rolling across Britain simultaneously listing his achievement and exposing his 'dark side.' I've talked to people who thought Churchill was a drunken shit who was incompetent at administrating Britain and people who've thought Churchill was a literal world-saver in charge of an ungrateful Britain.
Simple litmus test:
  • Partake in remembrance day? Yes? You'll like Churchill.
  • Don't partake? You won't.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14714 on: January 30, 2015, 04:58:37 pm »

My trade unionist great grandfather (who built ships for the war effort) absolutely loathed Churchill with every fibre in his being. He remembered him as the man who sent 10,000 soldiers and tanks into George Square in Glasgow to crush the protestors agitating for changes to their working conditions e.g. reducing their then-53 hour working week and helping to ameliorate unemployment.

But yeah, Churchill. An over-praised, racist, vain, self-important, British imperialist, bloated Tory grandee whose one skill in making grand speeches has earned him a place in the hero rankings of Britain despite his marked incompetence as a military leader/tactician (e.g. Gallipoli, later the Norwegian campaign if I remember correctly?) and generally in leading the country outside of war. When the war was over and British working class people needed someone to rebuild their country, much of which lay in ruins, Labour offered the Welfare State. Churchill's answer was some sort of confused mishmash about keeping our imperial territories. I respect him to some extent for the good contributions he did make, but the "greatest Briton ever"? My God no.

I should add that, until very recently, I also partook in Armistice Day commemorations and I have never liked Churchill. I think my great grandfather was the same in that regard as far as I know.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:05:20 pm by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 979 980 [981] 982 983 ... 1393