Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747909 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14565 on: January 22, 2015, 01:59:43 pm »

A great victory has been won in Scottish and British politics. According to these articles the Green Party, the SNP and Plaid Cymru are to join the rest of the main UK parties in two out of three of the TV debates coming up for the general election. The BBC debate and the ITV debate will have 7 parties present, kind of like a Scandinavian debate; including Labour, Conservative, UKIP, SNP, Green, Plaid Cymru and Liberal Democrat Parties. The final debate on Channel 4/Sky will be hosted by Jeremy Paxman and Kay Burleigh and will be Ed Miliband vs David Cameron. 

I am, needless to say, very happy with this settlement. Previously it seemed as though UKIP were the only party besides Labour and the Tories that were going to get on the debates. After a particularly ferocious outcry from the Greens, SNP and Plaid Cymru it seems like the broadcasters have changed their mind. Quite tellingly the excuse they gave originally was that there should only be "national parties" present - evidently Scotland is not a nation, nor is Wales. Rather, the only national parties are English ones - because Labour and the Tories don't stand in Northern Ireland. No party is truly "national". If only more people understood that Scotland and Wales are not viewed as equal nations within a union of equals or whatever the hell it's supposed to be, maybe we'd make more breakthroughs in future referendums.

Interestingly Northern Irish parties are nowhere to be seen, but it seems like Northern Ireland isn't really a part of the UK in the eyes of the broadcasters so it's not included. Certainly its politics are so far removed it would be difficult to include them, but I still think it's a failing on the part of the BBC/ITV.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14566 on: January 22, 2015, 02:03:06 pm »

I don't even understand why UKIP are on it. They've got what, 2 seats in parliament?

Fine they'll get the alt/protest votes, probably, in England and maybe Wales, but come on man. Farage is a fucking clown!

Also, what would happen if Farage didn't get a seat in parliament? Would he have to step down as leader so we don't have to hear the nonsense he spouts?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #14567 on: January 22, 2015, 02:21:34 pm »

Whoot.

I could make a long post, but I can't be bothered, so I'm gonna be a bit juvenile.

"No, your politician is a clown!"
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14568 on: January 22, 2015, 02:25:05 pm »

Yes I know, but I've been up for 26 hours, so my argument is less eloquent than it needs to be :P

He has yet to win a seat in an actual national election. The two seats he does have were from defections from another party, though through by-elections.

etc. etc. tired.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14569 on: January 22, 2015, 02:26:41 pm »

What in particular about Farage do you deem makes him "a fucking clown."
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14570 on: January 22, 2015, 02:27:56 pm »

The way he is constantly shown drinking in pubs, yet you never see him drunk.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14572 on: January 22, 2015, 02:29:44 pm »

Look back, we've already been over that I think.

The way he is constantly shown drinking in pubs, yet you never see him drunk.
PR. He's a politician. Gonna happen.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14573 on: January 22, 2015, 02:30:50 pm »

I think debates would attract a larger audience if the politicians had to be constantly drinking through the entire debate yet still keep talking.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14574 on: January 22, 2015, 02:31:17 pm »

I know, but he thought that a comment like that would garner him votes, hence "fucking clown".

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14575 on: January 22, 2015, 02:32:03 pm »

Every politician will say anything to garner votes.

They're all fucking clowns.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14576 on: January 22, 2015, 02:34:08 pm »

Every politician will say anything to garner votes.

They're all fucking clowns.

This is true, but it's like a black belt. There are degrees of fucking clown-ishness. He just happens to be of a higher degree than others, in my opinion.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14577 on: January 22, 2015, 02:35:44 pm »

No, some will say clownish things to get vote. Those are the fucking clowns.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14578 on: January 22, 2015, 02:37:17 pm »

No, some will say clownish things to get vote. Those are the fucking clowns.

Wiff waff.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14579 on: January 22, 2015, 02:53:01 pm »

Sheb, if net emissions responsibility (or whatever term you want to coin) stayed flat as growth increased and part of manufacturing shifted to a less efficient sector, that means that the carbon efficiency rose faster then growth.  That means that if we imagined a counter-factual world without globalization where carbon intensive industries weren't shifted out of the west we would have still seen reductions in western emissions.

And it's not very helpful to talk about the "west" as you do.  The US wasn't trying to reduce emissions during the Bush presidency.  Lumping countries that dont give a shit in with countries that are trying muddles the water a lot.  The upshot is that you are going by a very, very indirect metric.

And there's some real mission creep here.  I was objecting to the notion that growth and emissions must go hand in hand and I think other people were too.  Suggesting an exact level of emissions is a much more ambitious question then the simple one I was considering.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 1393