Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747939 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14490 on: January 20, 2015, 02:15:46 pm »

Now that we're talking about the Serbian war, I must acknowledge that I don't actually now much about it. Anyone willing to give a concise explanation.
NATO attacked Serbia in 1999 under the pretext of protecting Albanians in Kosovo from a Serbian ethnic cleansing campaign.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14491 on: January 20, 2015, 02:47:12 pm »

Now that we're talking about the Serbian war, I must acknowledge that I don't actually now much about it. Anyone willing to give a concise explanation.
The first one or the second one?  :)
In short:

Generally the first one is about countries not wanting to be in yugoslavia anymore. So they went independent. But serbs that lived in the region of the new countries wanted to join serbia and not live in the new formed ones. So serbs in the new countries, with help of serbs from serbia (or better said yugoslavia) fought for territory where they lived. Heavy shit happens with killing of different ethnic groups. Its a standard civil war. In the end, most of serbs from croatia were expelled from it, while in bosnia formed somewhat independent region republic srpska where majority are serbs

The second war is war for kosovo. Kosovo was mostly populated with albanians and serbs. Kosovo albanians with help of albanian country organized a separatist group called UCK, that fought again police and similar for independence of kosovo. Nato bombs serbia on the context of fear there will be ethnic cleansing as there where few places where it was believed albanians civilians were killed. After bombing started, serbs started moving all kosovo albanians to albania. After the bombing ended, serbia accepted to move their military/police  from kosovo, and in its place KFOR/NATO troops moved in to "protect" the people. Unfortunately, than all the albanians started moving serbs from kosovo to central serbia, so now, very little serbs or other minority live on  kosovo, that do not recognise kosovo as a country and want to separate to serbia.

So now we wait for another war, that will probably be around bosnia in future, as republic srpska is interested in independence from bosnia, and another kosovo war, where serbs will move in the kosovo to retake the lost territory. Serbia sandzak is another region where a lot of bosnian live that will also probably want independence at some point. But it will probably not happen in our life time.

Anyway, take this with grain of salt, as I am from serbia, or better said was from kosovo, and after nato invasion we escaped to central serbia. And the funny thing is, I am mostly croatian. So, its all such fucked up shit.
Make love not war

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14492 on: January 20, 2015, 02:51:00 pm »

What do you think of the impact of the EU on this? After all, two former Yugoslav countries are already in, and the others are queuing. Wouldn't that solve the problems? After all, why fight to take territory when you can just move there anyway?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14493 on: January 20, 2015, 02:55:59 pm »

What do you think of the impact of the EU on this? After all, two former Yugoslav countries are already in, and the others are queuing. Wouldn't that solve the problems? After all, why fight to take territory when you can just move there anyway?
UK is in EU, and look at how they treat immigrants (from countries they weren't at war, even)  :-X
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14494 on: January 20, 2015, 02:59:48 pm »

They... grumble about them? Complain a bit about them?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14495 on: January 20, 2015, 03:01:39 pm »

They... grumble about them? Complain a bit about them?
Now imagine how they would treat somebody who they were in a deadly war just a few years before.
._.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14496 on: January 20, 2015, 03:09:07 pm »

Well Yugoslavia was like EU (even more integration), and it failed the moment economic problems hit. I actually think similar thing will happen to EU sooner or latter.
Make love not war

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14497 on: January 20, 2015, 03:10:22 pm »

I think the EU is more stable BECAUSE it is less integrated. I don't see the President of the Council going all Milosevic any time soon.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14498 on: January 20, 2015, 03:12:58 pm »

So, the UK's Green party has released its manifesto for the upcoming general election. It makes for... interesting reading.

The url I found this at is http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/green-party/11356354/Drugs-brothels-al-Qaeda-and-the-Beyonce-tax-the-Green-Party-plan-for-Britain.html

I don't want to shorten it, as it kind of tells its own story.
This is a blank sig.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14499 on: January 20, 2015, 03:26:01 pm »

That tends to happen when they become relevant.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #14500 on: January 20, 2015, 03:27:58 pm »

Wow.

They want to return us to medieval times.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14501 on: January 20, 2015, 03:28:40 pm »

So, the UK's Green party has released its manifesto for the upcoming general election. It makes for... interesting reading.

The url I found this at is http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/green-party/11356354/Drugs-brothels-al-Qaeda-and-the-Beyonce-tax-the-Green-Party-plan-for-Britain.html

I don't want to shorten it, as it kind of tells its own story.

Well that was... interesting. It's strange seeing a mainstream party that uses phrases like monopoly on violence and calling terrorism a loaded term, while simultaneously calling for unilateral military disarmament. They even want to abolish the monarchy. I'm also wondering how they're going to finance all this when they're calling for a "zero growth economy," and are actively hostile to industry and trade. I'm honestly expecting it to turn out it's a fake.

Here's a direct link:
http://www.greenparty.org.uk/assets/files/resources/Manifesto_web_file.pdf
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:33:07 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14502 on: January 20, 2015, 03:30:52 pm »

Well, it's the Torygraph, their job is to make the left look bad. :p It does seems like they suffer from the same problems are green parties everywhere (that fetishism for local stuff for exemple), but otherwise I agree with them. Remember, those are long-terms goals, not a manifesto for the next election.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14503 on: January 20, 2015, 03:39:01 pm »

Well, it seems to me that the Greens are looking to have some kind of "manoeuvring room" in order to prop up some kind of coalition in a minority government. In this manifesto there are things they could easily drop like a rock while at the negotiating table without needing to budge on other core values.
This is a blank sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14504 on: January 20, 2015, 03:45:21 pm »

Looking at it more in details, this "manifesto" seems more to be a whole lot of independent resolutions taken during various general assemblies over the years.

Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 1393