Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 958 959 [960] 961 962 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747158 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14385 on: January 17, 2015, 04:58:45 am »

Inefficiency in terms of amount out vs. amount in.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14386 on: January 17, 2015, 06:01:36 am »

As I recall one of them most efficient crops at turning sunlight into burnable carbs is sugarcane, and they're only about 15% efficient. Whoever thinks biofuels are a good idea is insane.
The thing is that for some applications like flying you need fuel with a high energy density; batteries just won't cut it, you need hydrocarbons. And generating those from electricity is hella nnefficient.
Solar panels, even modern ones, aren't terribly efficient as far as energy put in for their lifespan, and they're only viable for commercial generation in a pretty limited area. The future of energy lies in nuclear power, and possibly hydrogen for cars.
Methanol economy FTW! Easy to store because it's liquid at standard temperatures and pressure, can be produced by hydrogenating CO2, has a fairly good energy density... Couple that with fusion - ITER will go live in 2020, five years from now, and DEMO will is slated to start its operation by 2033 - and you've got a new energy economy that can piggyback on existing infrastructure.
And there's a substantial amount of resistance against nuclear - I'm afraid it won't fly politically, at least not in the dimensions that would be needed. Plus there's the issue of fuel - how long would our stock of uranium last if we generated ~70% of our heat and electricity with fission?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14387 on: January 17, 2015, 06:35:00 am »

And there's a substantial amount of resistance against nuclear - I'm afraid it won't fly politically, at least not in the dimensions that would be needed. Plus there's the issue of fuel - how long would our stock of uranium last if we generated ~70% of our heat and electricity with fission?
It depends on assumptions made.

http://www.iea.org/statistics/statisticssearch/report/?year=2012&country=WORLD&product=Indicators

TPES of the world is 13371 Mtoe. One tonne of oil equivalent (toe) is equal to 41.868 GJ. So we need a small 400 ExaJoules of energy. (+- 10 Exajoule). Natural uranium in a light water reactor gives us 500 GJ/kg. Meaning we need a small 800 000 tonnes of natural uranium per year. Only 14 000 tonnes if we run it through a fast neutron reactor.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Facts-and-Figures/Heat-values-of-various-fuels/

Now, the Red book has a list of uranium reserves. Identified resources are 7 635 200 tonnes (below 260 USD/kg) (This includes RAR and inferred). Not looking good for non breeders.

However, there's also unconventional resources. Data on these is a little bit uncertain, but the commercially exploitable reserves might be as large as 22 million tonnes.

And lastly, there's seawater extraction, with a reserve size in excess of 4 billion, continually refilled by rivers. Extraction costs of these currently resided at 660 USD/kg in lab scale situations.

Of course, there's also the other option, thorium, with major reserves accounting for about 6 million tonnes of material.

http://www.oecd-nea.org/ndd/pubs/2014/7209-uranium-2014.pdf

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14388 on: January 17, 2015, 07:36:20 am »

Thorium is the clear winner unless fusion overtakes it. I'm confidant it will actually.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14389 on: January 17, 2015, 08:00:12 am »

Thorium is the clear winner unless fusion overtakes it. I'm confidant it will actually.
Uhm, not really.

Thorium reserves are smaller than uranium reserves.
Thorium reactors are still theoretical, Uranium reactors are operational.
Thorium still requires Uranium/plutonium to start the reactor.

It has it's advantages yes, but it's far from a clear winner.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14390 on: January 17, 2015, 01:20:27 pm »

... wait, which solar? I thought the reflect-y version actually did pretty good?

I'd heard that too.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14391 on: January 17, 2015, 01:38:10 pm »

... wait, which solar? I thought the reflect-y version actually did pretty good?

I'd heard that too.
Last I heard was that the latest US plants were disappointing, burning more natural gas than expected, and having a tendency to ignite birds.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14392 on: January 17, 2015, 01:44:37 pm »

I'd heard that too.
...and having a tendency to ignite birds.

That is so fucking metal
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14393 on: January 17, 2015, 01:47:25 pm »

I say fuck the birds. Let natural selection weed out the idiots who fly at the big shiny make heat thingy.
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14394 on: January 17, 2015, 02:05:08 pm »

The problem is that the light from the tower attracts insects, which then attract birds. Every so often, one of the birds come to close and does a live performance of Icarus.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14395 on: January 17, 2015, 02:13:06 pm »

Clearly the solution is to up the power in some way to zap the insects in order to prevent any bird incentives for combustion related suicide.
This is a blank sig.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14396 on: January 17, 2015, 04:36:50 pm »

I think the actual solution is to film it and turn the flaming bird death into a reality TV series, to supplement the plant's profitability.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14397 on: January 17, 2015, 05:00:12 pm »

I'd watch it
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14398 on: January 17, 2015, 05:12:43 pm »

So, to drag this back on topic, the pope is trying to justify religiously motivated violence. Not killing perhaps, but he'll at least go as far as assault.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14399 on: January 17, 2015, 05:17:47 pm »

oy vey
Pages: 1 ... 958 959 [960] 961 962 ... 1393