Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747438 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14370 on: January 16, 2015, 04:39:28 pm »

If you want to minimise ecological damage through farming, it certainly would be a good first step to stop with livestock except where the ground is unsuitable for crops, but grass can grow there. Something like 10-20% of energy is lost per step of the food chain (excluding the first step (plant to animal) because of how much energy is indigestible. That raises it to 80-90%) and the methane they produce is fairly bad too, then probably minimising fertilisers and pesticides due to the fact their effects go well beyond the immediate area around the field.

You're moving goalposts again. We're talking about efficient farming, not less farming.

SOmetimes in order to make things more efficient, you have to lessen things.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14371 on: January 17, 2015, 12:19:27 am »

As I recall one of them most efficient crops at turning sunlight into burnable carbs is sugarcane, and they're only about 15% efficient. Whoever thinks biofuels are a good idea is insane.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14372 on: January 17, 2015, 12:27:39 am »

Technically the main thing that distinguishes them from fossil feuls is the elimination of the extremely time consuming intermediate step in which plant matter is converted into coal and/or oil.

EDIT:
Now, the argument that both are bad ideas is a bit more plausible.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:29:32 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14373 on: January 17, 2015, 12:28:51 am »

Biofuels are only good if you use non-edible material in either non-farming locations (like, that you can't use to farm. Mountain sides, oceanic algae farms, etc) or the non-edible material from edible foodstuffs, like wheat chaff or corn stalks.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14374 on: January 17, 2015, 12:38:28 am »

Except returning the nonedible material to the ground is important for keeping soil healthy. Which is a completely different conversation, but basically even the lowest efficiency solar panels are about as efficient as food crops and don't need to be replanted, reharvested, and reprocessed every year. The arguments against solar are mostly the energy needed to make them, the short lifespan, the use of increasingly rare materials for higher efficiency panels, and the space required.  But compared to food crops it makes sense as these have the same drawbacks. 
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14375 on: January 17, 2015, 01:25:35 am »

Solar panels, even modern ones, aren't terribly efficient as far as energy put in for their lifespan, and they're only viable for commercial generation in a pretty limited area. The future of energy lies in nuclear power, and possibly hydrogen for cars.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14376 on: January 17, 2015, 01:28:12 am »

... wait, which solar? I thought the reflect-y version actually did pretty good?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14377 on: January 17, 2015, 03:38:35 am »

Solar panels, even modern ones, aren't terribly efficient as far as energy put in for their lifespan, and they're only viable for commercial generation in a pretty limited area. The future of energy lies in nuclear power, and possibly hydrogen for cars.

Oh neat, it's a time traveler from 10 years decades ago!  Quick, before you return to your time let me tell you that you want to bet on Germany to win the 2014 World Cup!  Also the star wars prequels will suck.

30 seconds of googling gives a pretty solid answer if you want to see what the energy payback period actually looks like today:
http://cleantechnica.com/2013/12/26/solar-energy-payback-time-charts/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 03:42:14 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14378 on: January 17, 2015, 03:57:58 am »

Re: buifuels, you also have algae in tanks. They of course need more infrastructure that standard crop, but the yield you can guess are pretty insane. On the order of several hundred tons of oil per hectare.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14379 on: January 17, 2015, 03:59:50 am »

Or fusion, with any luck.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14380 on: January 17, 2015, 04:14:51 am »

I must note that  what you're linking to is a paid advert site for green power. Neutrality may be questioned. (And is. Now. By me.)

Anyway, a solar panel taking 3 years for energy payback, and lasting 30 years, only has an EROEI of 10, which I must say is not terribly efficient. (And that is unbuffered. Buffering makes it worse*).

Anyway, continuing on, it's all about the price. And then you see that solar really isn't close.

http://en.openei.org/apps/TCDB/

Note: the app makes some strange default assumptions, such as overestimating capacity factors, and placing the lifetime of all energy sources at 30 years. (I advice you to set it to scatter mode, as then you can see the various assumptions made for each study. I mean, the lowest cost solar PV estimates all assume like 30% CF, which I'm quite sure might be physically impossible.)

*Neutrality warning : Made by German nuclear physicists.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14381 on: January 17, 2015, 04:20:03 am »

An EROEI of 10 is not that bad actually. Biodiesel is at ~1.5, shale oil is at 6. Of course, the real photovoltaoic EROEI is closer to 7 than to 10.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14382 on: January 17, 2015, 04:21:28 am »

An EROEI of 10 is not that bad actually. Biodiesel is at ~1.5, shale oil is at 6. Of course, the real photovoltaoic EROEI is closer to 7 than to 10.
Biodiesel and shale oil aren't on my list of reliable future energy sources either.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14383 on: January 17, 2015, 04:31:52 am »

We've argued over this before, I dont see the need to do so now.  I was just poking fun at the ridiculous statement that solar is inefficient from an energy standpoint.  That hasn't been true in a long, long time.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14384 on: January 17, 2015, 04:52:09 am »

Inefficiency is kind of irrelevant when there is ample enough abundance.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 1393