Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 902 903 [904] 905 906 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1759363 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13545 on: December 18, 2014, 08:39:03 am »

Because as we aren't using them in critical situation, we're doing stupid shit that could cost us a lot. A simple exemple : the French FAMAS cannot feed the usual 5,56x45 round. It need steel 5,56x45 rounds that only the French produce. Now generalise that kind of dumb shit to everything and you have the current state of our armies.

On paper they cannot be beaten by anyone but the US. In reality...
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13546 on: December 18, 2014, 09:47:38 am »

Also, the real risk is that in case of an invasion, the French and Brits will decide getting into a war with Russia over Poland or Estonia ain't worth it and weasel out of their obligations.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13547 on: December 18, 2014, 09:55:30 am »

Also, the real risk is that in case of an invasion, the French and Brits will decide getting into a war with Russia over Poland or Estonia ain't worth it and weasel out of their obligations.

Isn't that what NATO is for? Providing (more or less) a guarantee for those bordering Russia?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:57:02 am by smjjames »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13548 on: December 18, 2014, 09:57:00 am »

I believe that is one of the reason why the Baltics want NATO units permanently stationed on their turf - they may consider the Article 5 alone is not a strong enough guarantee. The countries garrisoning the forces at least could be relied on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13549 on: December 18, 2014, 10:09:00 am »

Isn't that what NATO is for? Providing (more or less) a guarantee for those bordering Russia?

Seeing as Turkey, the country that all but openly supports the current Big Enemy of NATO, ISIS, is in NATO, I think it's reasonable to consider a possibility of guarantee failure.

After all, do you remember the words Obama chosen to portray Russian green men in Crimea? It was certainly not "invasion". More like "unauthorized entry".

There was a very nasty precedent before with guarantees and weak Eastern European countries before...
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13550 on: December 18, 2014, 10:46:55 am »

Didn't think of that.
Yeah, that is definitely a possibility too.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13551 on: December 18, 2014, 12:34:54 pm »

I believe that is one of the reason why the Baltics want NATO units permanently stationed on their turf - they may consider the Article 5 alone is not a strong enough guarantee. The countries garrisoning the forces at least could be relied on.

Pretty much this. If it comes to war the politicians are going to spend time differing over whether to get involved or not. When you have troops & bases in the area your pretty much involved by default.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13552 on: December 18, 2014, 12:49:22 pm »

Mourir pout Tallinn?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13553 on: December 18, 2014, 01:24:38 pm »

Mourir pout Tallinn?

Had to look that one up & it was a nightmare to find anything in english, so I'm quite possibly misunderstanding what your saying. Forgive my cynicism but America is famous for political speeches. Hey, they employ the best in the business & pay well. Was there stirring music or an anthem playing in the background? How was the ceremony? Lots of flags? If you reference to a speech I'll respond with a cliche: Actions speak louder then words.

It's not even like I doubt NATO would respond, more like: Why take the risk? Why take the risk that they'd be slow in responding? Why risk the other side questioning whether they'd respond?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13554 on: December 18, 2014, 01:28:44 pm »

Mourir pout Tallinn?

Had to look that one up & it was a nightmare to find anything in english, so I'm quite possibly misunderstanding what your saying.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_Die_for_Danzig%3F

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13555 on: December 18, 2014, 04:24:01 pm »

Mourir pout Tallinn?
For cheap booze, what else?  :P
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13556 on: December 23, 2014, 02:06:12 pm »

So the Foreigner's Office (Charged with dealing with immigration) just asked for the right to send police inside illegal immigrant's houses without a warrant. Because respecting due process is such a drain on resources. Our far-right immigration secretary is supportive of the measure.

Seriously, fuck that government.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13557 on: December 23, 2014, 03:16:00 pm »

Note, this is only the case if the illegal immigrant in question is to be arrested for deportation. Because, for some reason, people tend to be less cooperative in those cases.

On a side note, I'm not sure if supportive if the correct word. The only thing that's happening is is that the proposal will be examined by a task force.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13558 on: December 23, 2014, 06:35:40 pm »

Well, yeah of course. Why would you send the police after them otherwise?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13559 on: December 23, 2014, 06:50:22 pm »

If they're already slanted for deportation then the police should have no problems obtaining a warrant to carry out that order. As such, this cannot have any benefit besides corruption.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 902 903 [904] 905 906 ... 1393