Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 900 901 [902] 903 904 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1759323 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13515 on: December 17, 2014, 08:05:29 am »

There already is no mechanism for NATO to go into war in an offensive nations.  The treaty is a purely defensive one. Which doesn't stop NATO countries from invading places (Hello Afghanistan), so I fail to see how another name would change that.

As for Russia not invading a NATO member, I agree with you. NATO is protecting those countries. By having troops in those countries. That's why Russia won't invade.

And oil-producing countries != the global economy. It's going to hurt oil-producing countries and help oil-consuming countries.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13516 on: December 17, 2014, 08:07:50 am »

There already is no mechanism for NATO to go into war in an offensive nations.  The treaty is a purely defensive one. Which doesn't stop NATO countries from invading places (Hello Afghanistan), so I fail to see how another name would change that.

As for Russia not invading a NATO member, I agree with you. NATO is protecting those countries. By having troops in those countries. That's why Russia won't invade.

And oil-producing countries != the global economy. It's going to hurt oil-producing countries and help oil-consuming countries.

Hold on a sec, I thought NATO went into Afghanistan because we dragged our NATO allies into it and it wasn't entirely willingly?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13517 on: December 17, 2014, 08:14:05 am »

Don't underestimate the silliness of some people, Sheb. NATO is a brand so politically charged and so toxic that expanding in that region can only bring trouble. Even if a new defensive pact was written along the same lines as NATO in reality, it would be infinitely better received for the simple fact that it's not NATO.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13518 on: December 17, 2014, 09:13:49 am »

smjjames, I'm honestly not sure. Article 5 was invoked after 9/11, but AFAIK, the actual invasion was done by the US and Brits, with NATO accepting to manage the occupation later on.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13519 on: December 17, 2014, 09:42:03 am »

Strawman. No one think Russia is going to invade Sweden.
Right now Russia's dickwaving with jets, frigates and subs from the British Isles to the Baltics to give a clear message: If you align with NATO, you are a target. That's why slavboats are scubadiving in Swedish waters, Putin wants to scare the Scandi politicians away from fusing its security with central Yurop.
Granted I reckon Sweden's more likely to be invaded by Denmark and Finland than Russia, it's just a psychological war and propaganda. No one thinks Russia will invade Sweden but who would want to leave the gate down for Russia either?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13520 on: December 17, 2014, 09:44:56 am »

The invocation of article 5 did not involve any active combat from NATO after 9/11. It mostly meant the Luxembourg air force was deployed over the US and various other elements were shipped over to provide extra cover (I remember norwegian mobile SAM batteries were deployed in Washington DC). The Afghanistan invasion was a "Coalition of the Willing" sort of thing, mostly the US and UK. NATO took command of ISAF a couple of years later after a UNSC resolution or something.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:55:40 am by olemars »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13521 on: December 17, 2014, 09:46:46 am »

... we have an air horse?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13522 on: December 17, 2014, 09:48:04 am »

... we have an air horse?

I guess you're from Luxembourg? I had you pinned as maybe American.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13523 on: December 17, 2014, 09:52:05 am »

darvi's strayan

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13524 on: December 17, 2014, 09:52:57 am »

The Luxembourg Air Force is the result of some NATO brass having an actual sense of humour.
NATO acquired 18 Boeing E-3As and support equipment for a NATO air defense force. Since all aircraft must be registered with a certain country, the decision was made to register the 18 NATO AWACS planes with Luxembourg, because until that point Luxembourg did not have an air force.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13525 on: December 17, 2014, 09:57:09 am »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13526 on: December 17, 2014, 09:59:50 am »

No, Darvi is Luxembourgian. And English, Belgian, French, Dutch, and German (but not Hollander).
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13527 on: December 17, 2014, 10:04:46 am »

Y'all be crazy. Never change. Except when you do, that's fine too.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13528 on: December 17, 2014, 10:09:55 am »

They also bought an A400 in cooperation with Belgium.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13529 on: December 17, 2014, 01:32:42 pm »

Sharing military hardware? Well, the Netherlands are already relying on German tanks for their defense, so...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 900 901 [902] 903 904 ... 1393