Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 865 866 [867] 868 869 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1758581 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12990 on: November 16, 2014, 10:47:46 pm »

There are empirical results, you just aren't following the science well enough to understand them.  If you think you are being drowned in the terminology then tough shit.  Science requires you actually learn before you can judge.

As for the rest of it, it's about as empirical as blaming physicists when a drone blows up an afgan wedding.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12991 on: November 16, 2014, 11:02:16 pm »

I don't have to be in a field to see when it functions in a bullshit way. I'm not a biologist but I'll say with certainty that evolutionary biology is true and intelligent design isn't. I'm not a physicist but I understand in layman's terms the problem presented by quantum mechanics and special relativity. And in the same way I can see that economics as it exists is so mired in false pretenses that it isn't useful. I mean, look at the way this conversation has gone. Surely you can't say that everything I've brought up is invalid, even if I'm not an economist, but there's no effort to explain it or suggest how it could be changed. That's where economics is. It's about denial of the externalities and defense of the field's presuppositions.

I want to know what you think should be done, I really do! Because as is there is a clear and all-consuming bias in economics.

As for the terminology drowning comment, that's my response to you using something very specific and field-oriented subjects to try and lock me out of any possible argument. You don't get an "I win" button because you're an economist. Everything is subject to criticism, even if the critic is from the outside and is not as learned on the specifics. Indeed, in a situation where the established truths of a field are organized to protect certain assumptions, which is my central argument here, outside criticism is even more important. The subject you bring up is important, I'll conceed, but how can such things even be dealt with when economists are only taught to consider certain solutions in a way that verges on determinism?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:04:13 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #12992 on: November 16, 2014, 11:08:52 pm »

It isn't really fair to attack the entire field of economics, which actually does have worthwhile observations, policy advice, and so on. However, there are a lot of issues in the field of economics that deserve critique, mostly relating to the complete uselessness of most econometric models and a lot of ideas certain economists are built backwards. For example, Neo-Keynesians (who are really more like Monetarists honestly but that's beside the point) basically start from the assumption that government spending is the only thing preventing perpetual unemployment and that work backwards to create a theory built around this (that cleverly disguises the underlying assumptions made).
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12993 on: November 16, 2014, 11:19:35 pm »

... maaaaybe take the wildly off topic economics derail to another thread?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12994 on: November 16, 2014, 11:39:22 pm »

I don't have to be in a field to see when it functions in a bullshit way.

No you dont but you need to have a fucking clue what you are talking about.  You say it isn't empirical.  I know for a fact it is.  You are know nothing about a field and arguing about it's contents with an expert.  There's more to economics then the econ 101 fairy tales you think it is.  It's like if you describe math as nothing but highschool geometry.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12995 on: November 17, 2014, 04:50:19 am »

I'm pretty sure economics is a science. It's a science about the ways and mechanisms to distribute wealth, and the potential results of the said distribution.

There are testable predictions.

Like, if the currency experiences deflation, then people will be saving it instead of spending it. If the currency experiences inflation, then people will be more inclined to spend it instead of letting the currency lie around uselessly.

And there's an entire section of economics dealing with the supposedly "random" economical fluctuation which actually shows that most of these "random" economical fluctuations are not, in fact, random, but instead a combination of several economic cycles.
._.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12996 on: November 17, 2014, 05:16:05 am »

Every science is weakened by the injection of politics. But economics is especially vulnerable since manipulating the states economical policies can be extremely profitable.

That being said, there is no doubt that the field is a science, the only question is : how valid are the current theories, and how honest are peoples being with their applications.
Last thing : science say what happen, not what you should do. Aiming for maximum growth is a bad idea, IMHO.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12997 on: November 17, 2014, 05:19:45 am »

Aiming for maximum growth is a bad idea, IMHO.
*insert cancer analogy*

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12998 on: November 17, 2014, 05:25:23 am »

Every science is weakened by the injection of politics. But economics is especially vulnerable since manipulating the states economical policies can be extremely profitable.

That being said, there is no doubt that the field is a science, the only question is : how valid are the current theories, and how honest are peoples being with their applications.
Last thing : science say what happen, not what you should do. Aiming for maximum growth is a bad idea, IMHO.
That's why non-Reaganists have governmental regulations to stabilize it.
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12999 on: November 17, 2014, 06:06:01 am »

This is the article about the departing leader of Scotland that I mentioned earlier. It's a good one if you aren't Scottish because she's writing from the perspective of an American observer.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:35:15 pm by Owlbread »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13000 on: November 17, 2014, 05:32:02 pm »

BTW, are there any successful rulers named Victor? Can't remember any.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13001 on: November 17, 2014, 05:39:45 pm »

BTW, are there any successful rulers named Victor? Can't remember any.

Various queens named Victoria? Though the Queen Victoria of England I was thinking of is more so-so I think? The brits around here would have a better knowledge and opinion of her.

Edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Emmanuel_II_of_Italy First king of an united Italy since the Roman Empire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Emmanuel_III_of_Italy

Theres a bunch of other Victor whatevers of italy and sardina, but I don't know by what measure you would define as successful.

Not sure if you're including presidents and prime ministers by 'ruler' along with kings and emperors.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:50:57 pm by smjjames »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13002 on: November 17, 2014, 06:09:21 pm »

Queen Victoria is historically one of the most popular of British monarchs, up there with Elizabeth I and II. Victoria also reigned during the absolute height of the British Empire and all its contributions to culture, science and industry, which helped somewhat.

Though to what extent she was a ruler is questionable, what with the monarchy being mostly symbolic.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13003 on: November 17, 2014, 06:31:55 pm »

Victor von Doom?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13004 on: November 17, 2014, 08:02:47 pm »

Queen Victoria is historically one of the most popular of British monarchs, up there with Elizabeth I and II. Victoria also reigned during the absolute height of the British Empire and all its contributions to culture, science and industry, which helped somewhat.

Though to what extent she was a ruler is questionable, what with the monarchy being mostly symbolic.

I of course hate her ghostly guts for obvious reasons but even I must admit that, as a ruler, she was "successful" in the same way that Stalin was successful.
Pages: 1 ... 865 866 [867] 868 869 ... 1393