Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1758380 times)

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12855 on: November 13, 2014, 01:22:17 pm »

Does someone know how serious is the last claim that Russia invaded ukraine?

Not that serious (it was several times said that russia invaded ukraine in the past also, so its nothing new).  If they did anything it would be sending weapons to rebels, but you will not see a full time invasion of russian military as there is no need for it..
Make love not war

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12856 on: November 13, 2014, 01:31:43 pm »

Does someone know how serious is the last claim that Russia invaded ukraine?
Rather serious - even UN officials now have called Russia out on that. And there are massive troop movements in eastern Ukraine, and the fighting is becoming stronger and stronger... I believe we're entering round two, and Russia is going for victory by technical knockout.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12857 on: November 13, 2014, 01:36:33 pm »

Full scale invasion ala WW2 is unlikely indeed, I hardly imagine 100 000+ personnel operation.  But 2-3 divisions worth of Russians are there for months.

Air strikes, ballistic missiles and mining Ukrainian territorial waters is a very likely next step of Putin
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12858 on: November 13, 2014, 02:15:17 pm »

Nah, these things are way too noticeable.

On the place of Putin I'd basically just started to enforce the point that Ukraine is refusing to uphold the peace treaties, then void them and start the conventional offensive in place Ukrainians defence is the weakest. Somewhere between Mariupol and Donetsk airport there should be a point like that.

Remember, in the August, the Ukrainian forces of the first line (those who fought Russian expeditionary troops) have lost over 50% of their armor in a week and suffered catastrophic losses. Ukraine has so little in the ways of tanks now that they're canceling the export contracts. We don't really need anything more than we already used to win...
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12859 on: November 13, 2014, 02:20:50 pm »

What would you consider winning, Sergarr? This whole operation looks like it is very much vulnerable to mission creep.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12860 on: November 13, 2014, 03:20:16 pm »

What would you consider winning, Sergarr? This whole operation looks like it is very much vulnerable to mission creep.
The inability of Ukrainian military to conduct operations in Eastern Ukraine. Particularly ones that involve artillery bombardment of cities.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12861 on: November 13, 2014, 03:33:02 pm »

So, you expect to destroy Ukrainian Army without aviation and ballistic missiles, right?

Meanwhile:
Brent Oil
-4.38%

World economy is collapsing(c) Putin
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12862 on: November 13, 2014, 03:59:24 pm »

So, you expect to destroy Ukrainian Army without aviation and ballistic missiles, right?

Meanwhile:
Brent Oil
-4.38%

World economy is collapsing(c) Putin
Not all army, just armor.

After all, Poroshenko did said that after August offensive, the front line troops have had lost more that 50% of their armor.

And without armor, the offensive capability of Ukrainian army will go down the drain.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12863 on: November 13, 2014, 04:27:05 pm »

Looks like you assume that Ukraine had something like 80% of combat ready armor in the combat zone and lost half of those, so now Ukraine has 60% of Armor it had before August. Not gonna argue here.

But do you really believe that Putin will be content with the current situation? That his goal is not capturing the whole south east of Ukraine but keeping hold on that few% of territory?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12864 on: November 13, 2014, 04:53:23 pm »

Looks like you assume that Ukraine had something like 80% of combat ready armor in the combat zone and lost half of those, so now Ukraine has 60% of Armor it had before August. Not gonna argue here.

But do you really believe that Putin will be content with the current situation? That his goal is not capturing the whole south east of Ukraine but keeping hold on that few% of territory?
I... don't remember saying that he will be content with the current situation.

Hell, I'm sure nobody is content with the current situation at all, that's why I called this ceasefire artificial.

And about the south-east... I don't really know. I hope it's the "capturing south-east of Ukraine", because any other way seems to be ultimately worse.
._.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12865 on: November 13, 2014, 04:58:54 pm »

The inability of Ukrainian military to conduct operations in Eastern Ukraine. Particularly ones that involve artillery bombardment of cities.

You mean, for all practical purposes, in Russia?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12866 on: November 13, 2014, 05:23:46 pm »

You mean, for all practical purposes, in Russia?
No, I meant in Eastern Ukraine.

Ukrainian army doesn't have the ability to conduct military operations in Russia.

In Eastern Ukraine, the matters are different, because officially we are not there, so we have to work with insurgent troops. And as I've already said, these are pretty anarchic, so that seriously slows down our operational mobility. And operational mobility is key to surrounding enemy forces while avoiding being surrounded yourself. The insurgent troops are pretty good at the second part, but not good enough for the first one. Understandable, since many of them are basically local militia.
._.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12867 on: November 13, 2014, 05:30:52 pm »

Russia has absolutely no problem getting whatever it wants in Ukraine. The smoke cleared months ago and "officially not being there" is fooling absolutely no one. I remain personally more convinced than ever that the whole thing is still mostly about Russia's domestic politics and Putin's control clique's power in a deteriorating economical situation(at least).

However I'm not sure if even Russia itself knows what it wants from Ukraine right now. Whichever way things happen, the current situation is not sustainable. And not the least for Russia herself.

edit: then there is of course THIS
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:40:04 pm by Erkki »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12868 on: November 13, 2014, 08:14:27 pm »

I am waiting to see how soon Russian diplomacy will get to " You will buy oil for $120 or we will nuke you" level

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12869 on: November 13, 2014, 09:26:20 pm »

As soon as the USA agrees to unilaterally disarm its entire nuclear arsenal.

So never.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 1393