Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1758240 times)

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12795 on: November 11, 2014, 05:27:49 pm »

No, I mean - the ruling party has the support of the majority, and in democracy, that means they have the right to decide for everybody.

Why shouldn't they be allowed to do that, if they have more than 50% support from population?

I guess classical greek democracy worked that way but we have moved away from that.
The reason why they shouldn't be allowed to do that is to prevent the tyranny of the majority over the minority.
There's nothing that can prevent the tyranny of the majority over the minority unless there's a majority inside the majority which is against the tyranny anyways.

Artificial barriers will not stop the majority that is for tyranny from tyrannizing over minorities, unless the minorities somehow get into power, in which case, you've a revolution in the works.

I agree with this but they shouldn't be allowed to do it so while artificial barriers can't prevent power abuse completely they are still barriers that must be overcome. Like locking the door won't prevent a really determined burglar from robbing your house but it's still better than leaving the door unlocked.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12796 on: November 11, 2014, 06:02:17 pm »

No, I mean - the ruling party has the support of the majority, and in democracy, that means they have the right to decide for everybody.

Why shouldn't they be allowed to do that, if they have more than 50% support from population?

I guess classical greek democracy worked that way but we have moved away from that.
The reason why they shouldn't be allowed to do that is to prevent the tyranny of the majority over the minority.
There's nothing that can prevent the tyranny of the majority over the minority unless there's a majority inside the majority which is against the tyranny anyways.

Artificial barriers will not stop the majority that is for tyranny from tyrannizing over minorities, unless the minorities somehow get into power, in which case, you've a revolution in the works.

I agree with this but they shouldn't be allowed to do it so while artificial barriers can't prevent power abuse completely they are still barriers that must be overcome. Like locking the door won't prevent a really determined burglar from robbing your house but it's still better than leaving the door unlocked.
These barriers however leave the door open for the other kind of power abuse, as seen with gerrymandering.

The tyranny of the minority is a thing.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12797 on: November 11, 2014, 06:10:39 pm »

Have you heard about the word "compromise"? One of the key ideas of modern democracies - majority rules but doesn't take steps that are unacceptable for minority. And there are no other way to build a stable society.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12798 on: November 11, 2014, 06:14:39 pm »

Have you heard about the word "compromise"? One of the key ideas of modern democracies - majority rules but doesn't take steps that are unacceptable for minority. And there are no other way to build a stable society.

I wish the republicans (the tea party people in particular) here in the US had the concept of 'compromise' :P

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make love not war

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12801 on: November 11, 2014, 06:59:33 pm »

Protest in Poland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL4qb_aCXgw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MND-Y12_Sv4

It's not a protest. It's November 11th, an anniversary of Poland regaining independence after being partitioned (by Russia, Germany and Austria). As such, there'd been a commemorative march, but since a couple years back, it's been hijacked by nationalist/Christian right/opposition supporters. And since about the same time, a competing march is held by left-wingers and associates. It used to end about as well as you'd expect it when they met. Plus the kind of people who are most rabidly nationalist are not the people most fond of the police.

This year, as far as I know, it's been pretty tame, as taught by previous experiences, organizers and cops took measures to prevent the two from clashing. Hell, I've even seen cops in riot gear in the central train station, for a good reason too - the train I took was filled with riot tourists.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12802 on: November 11, 2014, 11:13:42 pm »

Voter turnout is a thing.

Not here (Australia) where we have compulsory voting. You still can end up with an elected government that lacks popular support just because voters dislike the opposition more. This is  in fact was what happened in our last election - a higly unpopular politician beat a non-functioning opposition. Victory by default. I'm  of the opinion that getting voted in isn't meant to be a mandate for doing whatever you like. Your meant to be elected to serve the needs of the people,  not "I'm in charge now so I can do whatever I like, they voted for me after all...:

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12803 on: November 12, 2014, 06:58:37 am »

RUSSIAN warships are north of Australian waters in an unprecedented show of strength to accompany Russian President Vladimir Putin’s visit to the G20 in Brisbane this weekend.

A guided missile Cruiser, Varyag, named after the country’s Viking ancestors, the Varangian people, is leading the contingent south in international waters.

It is accompanied by a destroyer, Marshal Shaposhnikov, and one of the world’s most powerful tugs the Fotiy Krylov. A supply tanker Boris Butoma is also heading south towards Australia’s east coast as part of the dispatch.

Can anyone explain me any logic in Russian actions?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12804 on: November 12, 2014, 07:33:00 am »

That one's not terribly cryptic. It's to display that the Russian navy has some blue-water navy capability in the Pacific again. It was mostly gone up to 2010 or so.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12805 on: November 12, 2014, 07:50:06 am »

Yeah, beware our fearsome tug! It's the most powerful in the world! We'll tug your aircraft carriers to hell and beyong! Russian Tugs and Belarussians tractors STRONK!

More seriously, maybe he's also trying to get some sale contracts in the region?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12806 on: November 12, 2014, 07:55:21 am »

Yeah, beware our fearsome tug! It's the most powerful in the world! We'll tug your aircraft carriers to hell and beyong! Russian Tugs and Belarussians tractors STRONK!
You laugh now, but will eat your words one day when California wakes up to North Korea anchored by the San Francisco Bay.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12808 on: November 12, 2014, 09:02:25 am »

For a moment I thought it said "American".

The link just got a lot less interesting after I noticed my mistake :P

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12809 on: November 12, 2014, 09:09:07 am »

For a moment I thought it said "American".

The link just got a lot less interesting after I noticed my mistake :P

God you people are the worst.  It's the EUROPEAN politics thread.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 1393