Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1757843 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12435 on: October 30, 2014, 06:56:00 am »

Most big Russian companies have already acquired offices in Hong Kong, and nobody is talking about banning China from SWIFT.

What is your field of work again?
Nuclear reactors :D
._.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12436 on: October 30, 2014, 07:00:36 am »

Any talks about doing that therefore can be only made against the SWIFT company's will.

Companies don't like to be part of sanctions, that cost them money, and in this case goes against what make them valuable. They have to obey, though, and will do so more willingly if Putin keep sanding bombers in our airspace.
Seeing as USSR despite doing that and more for 30+ years wasn't excluded from UN, I highly doubt that.
It's a common practice, actually - American military aircraft have been violating the airspace of other countries to test their air defences for decades during the Cold War and continue to do that even now.
However, thanks to the power of Western democratic media, one may think that only Russia probes the airspace of its potential adversaries.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12437 on: October 30, 2014, 07:12:50 am »

Any talks about doing that therefore can be only made against the SWIFT company's will.

Companies don't like to be part of sanctions, that cost them money, and in this case goes against what make them valuable. They have to obey, though, and will do so more willingly if Putin keep sanding bombers in our airspace.
Seeing as USSR despite doing that and more for 30+ years wasn't excluded from UN, I highly doubt that.
It's a common practice, actually - American military aircraft have been violating the airspace of other countries to test their air defences for decades during the Cold War and continue to do that even now.
However, thanks to the power of Western democratic media, one may think that only Russia probes the airspace of its potential adversaries.

Probably because it's a routine thing for the US and we don't go out of our way to be provocative about it.

Russia also just has a bright spotlight on it right now.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12438 on: October 30, 2014, 07:21:06 am »

Nah, Guardian G.I. is right: that kind of stuff is pretty common.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12439 on: October 30, 2014, 07:30:58 am »

Probably because it's a routine thing for the US and we don't go out of our way to be provocative about it.

Russia also just has a bright spotlight on it right now.
Protip: something being "routine" doesn't make it any less bad.
Also "violating the airspace of other countries" is now apparently "not provocative".
._.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12440 on: October 30, 2014, 07:42:11 am »

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if these countries all did that just in case that event would ever happen.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12441 on: October 30, 2014, 08:22:21 am »

They'll claim they were shot down over international airspace, obviously.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12442 on: October 30, 2014, 08:33:27 am »

2 bads dont make a right be it wars, spying or airspace violations. Russia/USSR has been the one doing most of the middle one and all of or nearly of the last in the Northern Europe for decades.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12443 on: October 30, 2014, 08:38:59 am »

They'll claim they were shot down over international airspace, obviously.
As happened with Turkey/Syria a couple years ago.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12444 on: October 30, 2014, 08:48:10 am »

2 bads dont make a right be it wars, spying or airspace violations. Russia/USSR has been the one doing most of the middle one and all of or nearly of the last in the Northern Europe for decades.

The US did so as well. Hell, near airspace violations was the raison d'etre of the Blackbird program.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12445 on: October 30, 2014, 08:52:10 am »

Yes well, I'm pretty sure we don't routinely violate airspace with our nuclear bombers.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12446 on: October 30, 2014, 08:57:24 am »

Yes well, I'm pretty sure we don't routinely violate airspace with our nuclear bombers.
What do you mean by "nuclear bombers"? I'm pretty sure that nuclear bombs are usually delivered through much faster and saver means - inter-continental ballistic missiles, not bombers.

Is this "nuclear bomber" idea another USA thing that I'm not aware of?
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12447 on: October 30, 2014, 09:00:34 am »

nuclear bomber -> bomber with large enough payload to be able to drop nuclear bombs on its target

big deal before icbms came around, but they're still keeping them around for second strike capability

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12448 on: October 30, 2014, 09:00:40 am »

There was Project Pluto, but that never got off the ground (heh) due to being a nightmare weapon on the scale of cobalt bombs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12449 on: October 30, 2014, 09:02:53 am »

What do you mean by "nuclear bombers"? I'm pretty sure that nuclear bombs are usually delivered through much faster and saver means - inter-continental ballistic missiles, not bombers.

Is this "nuclear bomber" idea another USA thing that I'm not aware of?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-95#Present_and_future_status
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 1393