Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1757679 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12345 on: October 27, 2014, 05:17:44 am »

I think UR wasn't serious and was just showing exasperation at the way older Ukrainian voted.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12346 on: October 27, 2014, 05:49:18 am »

Wait UKIP is pro-devolution?

UKIP are not on the graph. UKIP are confused about devolution - in 2010 they wanted to dissolve the Scottish Parliament,  now they're calling for an English Parliament.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12347 on: October 27, 2014, 06:00:15 am »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12348 on: October 27, 2014, 06:03:23 am »

"You're 1 year older than this arbitrarily limit, so we strip away your legal powers as a citizen of a country to vote for the rulers of that country!"

You're 1 year younger than this arbitrarily limit, so we strip away your legal powers as a citizen of a country to vote for the rulers of that country!

Isn't that the same logic? :)

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12349 on: October 27, 2014, 06:11:38 am »

Somehow I though that black riboon was SNP. Their symbol is a purple £, right?

The black ribbon is indeed SNP. UKIP are all about the purple.

=42989&tx_ttnews[backPid]=7&cHash=9458eb895a664d20759866687e1a108b#.VE4kpsmsTTr]Also, Russia is moving to take further control of Abkhazia.

If you're a border territory and you ally with Russia in order to gain independence you are condemning yourself to eventual annexation. The Abkhaz would have been incredibly foolish if they didn't see this coming.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12350 on: October 27, 2014, 07:05:47 am »

"You're 1 year older than this arbitrarily limit, so we strip away your legal powers as a citizen of a country to vote for the rulers of that country!"

You're 1 year younger than this arbitrarily limit, so we strip away your legal powers as a citizen of a country to vote for the rulers of that country!

Isn't that the same logic? :)
The limit is much less arbitrary in that case, since young people tend to make dumb decisions more.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12351 on: October 27, 2014, 07:22:07 am »

Brains degrade with age :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:24:05 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12352 on: October 27, 2014, 07:22:19 am »

The limit is much less arbitrary in that case, since young people tend to make dumb decisions more.

Speaking from experience I would say this is not quite true. As you move into old age, the older you get the more infantile you get. You begin to regress into a selfish childlike state, so the perfect time for mental clarity and making the right, adult decisions would be some point in between.

I'm not saying all old people are selfish and childlike, of course - I just think some elderly have the ability to fight that and be better people due to their strength of character.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:24:41 am by Owlbread »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12353 on: October 27, 2014, 07:27:58 am »

To be serious, I said it before and I'll repeat it : The right to vote should be awarded only to contributive members of society

Problem is that in the real world it is hard to measure it. Potential contribution of students is one problem. Stuff like housework is another. Unemployment is often not the fault of the unemployed and more

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12354 on: October 27, 2014, 07:43:25 am »

I think the right to vote should be extended to all citizens over the age of 16, which should be the age of consent, being able to drive, leave school, drink alcohol in pubs etc. This extension of franchise would also include prisoners of all kinds. This puts me at odds with the SNP who apparently think that being a convicted and imprisoned sex offender or murderer means you have "forfeited your right to be a part of society" or something weird like that.

It's not our position to judge who is "worthy" of voting and who is not. Scotland voted No in the independence referendum largely because of the gray vote - but I wouldn't disenfranchise them because of that. They're citizens and they should have the right to play a part in determining the future of their country.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:15:08 am by Owlbread »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12355 on: October 27, 2014, 07:56:34 am »

I fail to understand why allowing asocial persons to decide the future of the society is a good thing. That looks like irrational religion like belief: Every citizens should have a right to vote. That is the law from above

No offense meant, nationalism has plenty of its own ideas that aren't rational

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12356 on: October 27, 2014, 08:04:16 am »

I fail to understand why allowing asocial persons to decide the future of the society is a good thing. That looks like irrational religion like belief: Every citizens should have a right to vote. That is the law from above

No offense meant, nationalism has plenty of its own ideas that aren't rational

As one successful and ruthless democratic leader put it, "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with a typical voter".

The thing is, how does one define asocial or irrationality? A vote being counter-productive or productive for the good of the entire society cannot IMHO be possibly  measurable objectively. People dont behave rationally, that goes to you and me as well. There is absolutely no way I can objectively measure all the candidates I can vote to decide which one is the best. I can only have a good educated guess, and even then its only from my narrow, subjective perspective.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12357 on: October 27, 2014, 09:06:44 am »

Can I just point out that Alex Salmond was succeeded by Nicola Sturgeon as the leader of the SNP? What, is it fishmongers all the way down?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12358 on: October 27, 2014, 09:59:07 am »

More about Ukrainian elections

According to exit-polls "Svoboda" got ~5.8%
So far it gets something around 4.7%. That is below 5% required to get in. 

I am really worried that someone "counts" in a "proper" way.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12359 on: October 27, 2014, 10:17:58 am »

Yeah seeing as the "Samopomosch" party has managed to score almost double of the predictions, I'm feeling somebody is meddling out there.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 1393