Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1757403 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12195 on: October 21, 2014, 04:12:30 pm »

Basically, you're trying to tell me the sky is red.

When there is lots of smoke or dust in the air, it can appear that way, especially during sunrise/sunset. And who knows how people color blind to blue see the sky.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:14:27 pm by smjjames »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12196 on: October 21, 2014, 04:14:46 pm »

I thought the prevalence of dashcams in Russia was a consequence of its police's corruptness.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12197 on: October 21, 2014, 04:16:36 pm »

I thought the prevalence of dashcams in Russia was a consequence of its police's corruptness.

I'd heard this and the insurance fraud thing were the reasons.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's old, but what is going on with this? Is there some kind of overproduction problem? Or is the benefits of this increased production just not being passed down anymore for some reason?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12198 on: October 21, 2014, 04:20:56 pm »

It's obviously a result of a trickle-down economics [/sarcasm].

Also, it's interesting how US food economy relies on food stamps. This reminds me of a similiar system enacted in USSR during the Second World War, to spread the food in minimally required for work/living amounts, because there was barely enough for everyone.

Why does US economy needs something like that, given that it exports food abroad? Is this really a sign of a healthy economical system?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:26:00 pm by Sergarr »
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12199 on: October 21, 2014, 04:21:01 pm »

Because you're literally dancing around any conclusion except the correct one shown to you directly with numbers,

http://xkcd.com/675/

I am an economics graduate student and am telling you that you are just throwing salad here.  Maybe I'm part of the conspiracy or maybe the person with no training in economics is jumping from one elementary misunderstanding to the next.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:22:35 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12200 on: October 21, 2014, 04:22:31 pm »

Yeah, IIRC Russia had some kind of epidemic of people throwing themselves in front of cars for insurance money, and now everyone has a dashcam.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12201 on: October 21, 2014, 04:24:39 pm »

Cute. So are you planning on showing your expertise and 6 years of schooling in explaining the large increase in food prices? Or did they just teach you to make non informational snarky responses. I've provided plenty of numbers and actual studies to show you what I mean about how food prices have been fucking people over, come back with something besides sarcasm and break my arguement. I'm telling you the CPI isn't indicative of what real consumers see in their purchasing power difference over time, and you've done 0 to make that any less of a solid conclusion.

Hell, disprove the chart posted directly above and I'll give you any creedence there pal. It is pretty obvious there is a huge divergence between food prices and what is told to people about their rate of purchasing power change.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:27:34 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12202 on: October 21, 2014, 04:26:51 pm »

You seem to have said that they are, but you don't seem to be saying WHY they are increasing or if they are just along for the ride with the core price index, or whatever CPI is.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12203 on: October 21, 2014, 04:27:53 pm »

Cute. So are you planning on showing your expertise and 6 years of schooling in explaining the large increase in food prices? Or did they just teach you to make non informational snarky responses. I've provided plenty of numbers and actual studies to show you what I mean about how food prices have been fucking people over, come back with something besides sarcasm and break my arguement.

Hell, disprove the chart posted directly above and I'll give you any creedence there pal.

No you showed me a number of studies that you misunderstood and then got angry when I tried to point that out to you.

If you ask questions dont get angry when I give you answers.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12204 on: October 21, 2014, 04:29:46 pm »

Point is the CPI isn't an indcator of anything resembling actual purchasing power changes. Anyone saying otherwise is wrong, and I showed it when food prices have doubled and that isn't reported by a wildly misleading CPI number touted by other misleading people.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12205 on: October 21, 2014, 04:30:27 pm »

It's obviously a result of a trickle-down economics [/sarcasm].

Also, it's interesting how US food economy relies on food stamps. This reminds me of a similiar system enacted in USSR during the Second World War, to spread the food in minimally required for work/living amounts, because there was barely enough for everyone.

Why does US economy needs something like that, given that it exports food abroad? Is this really a sign of a healthy economical system?

More like a sign of the minimum wage not being above poverty levels, also unemployment issues.

Yeah, IIRC Russia had some kind of epidemic of people throwing themselves in front of cars for insurance money, and now everyone has a dashcam.
Question: Guy's close enough to see the dashcam. Did his head-whacking INCREASE his intelligence?

Dashcam might have been disguised, who knows.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:32:03 pm by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12206 on: October 21, 2014, 04:32:15 pm »

Also, this discussion about food economics in USA seems very interesting and all, but is the European megathread the best place for two Americans to argue about the USA economy?
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12207 on: October 21, 2014, 04:32:41 pm »

Point is the CPI isn't an indcator of anything resembling actual purchasing power changes. Anyone saying otherwise is wrong, and I showed it when food prices have doubled and that isn't reported by a wildly misleading CPI number touted by other misleading people.

In a complicated subject we must make tradeoffs.

Price indexing is an interesting subject but you aren't really discussing it, just throwing a few outlier numbers out there.  In tens of thousands of numbers it would be weird if there weren't outliers.

Also, this discussion about food economics in USA seems very interesting and all, but is the European megathread the best place for two Americans to argue about the USA economy?

Well I was trying to make a point about Russian prices before I was accused of trying to cover up the truth.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12208 on: October 21, 2014, 04:33:50 pm »

You have to admit it's larger than a 3% divergence at this point.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12209 on: October 21, 2014, 04:34:40 pm »

You have to admit it's larger than a 3% divergence at this point.

You have to admit that you are spouting conspiracy theories.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 1393