Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1757291 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12120 on: October 20, 2014, 12:36:30 pm »

fascist soundboard
That made my day, thanks.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12121 on: October 20, 2014, 12:37:41 pm »

To be honest Mict, you've consistently be the most aggressive of the Westerners in this thread.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12122 on: October 20, 2014, 12:42:31 pm »

I try to keep myself in check by remembering my grandmother saying "If you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all". I amended that to "If you've nothing constructive to say, say nothing at all, unless the people you're slagging off aren't actually present. In that case let rip."

Of course, I can't quite keep it together if someone comes in and says "actually being subjugated by the British Empire was good for those savage Africans etc" or "Chechens aren't human beings, they're animals that need to be controlled and kept in check". Everyone has their breaking point, mine is racism. That's what it should be though - a breaking point. You shouldn't just outright call people Fascists for the hell of it or because you're right.

I mean, let's imagine we actually establish that Sergarr is a genuine Nazi. A totally hypothetical situation, by the way Sergarr - bare with me, I don't think you're a Nazi. But imagine we were able to prove it - what will this achieve? If he is truly a Nazi as you're describing him, is he going to walk away and seriously consider his beliefs? Is he going to go into seclusion then come down from the mountain having changed his worldview at your inspiration? Is he going to suddenly scrap everything he has hitherto believed true, or is it far more likely that he's going to deny it, then attack you instead and point out your country's flaws, possibly even calling you a Nazi in the process? If you knew he wasn't going to change, why did you bother in the first place?

Get over the Fascist name calling guys, it's not helpful. We can point out situations where we are thinking along Fascist lines, but there are better ways of doing it. More constructive ways. An even better approach is to just deconstruct post-Soviet thinking like Sheb did on the previous page. That describes Guardian and Sergarr better than a "Fascist" label ever would. But of course Fascist is a handy label, isn't it? It allows you to keep thinking along the established lines of good and evil, evil being Fascism - Sergarr and Guardian are evil because they're Nazis, just like the Islamic Extremists are evil because they're Nazis, just like North Koreans are evil because they're Nazis. It's in our frame of reference and it makes arguments a lot simpler, but by god is it damaging.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:55:44 pm by Owlbread »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12123 on: October 20, 2014, 12:45:12 pm »

Meanwhile in Ukraine:

A massive explosion occurred in Donetsk around 12:00 local time today:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The shockwave could be felt even in the city centre, where DNR government offices are located. It happened at a local chemical factory and produced a very big crater. DNR sources claim that it was hit by a Ukrainian short-range ballistic missile Tochka-U.

Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fzi6agimg6c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=USUFrlSPI8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qT4RhTig_oM

If DNR sources are to be believed, Ukrainian forces launched a counterattack aimed at dislodging the DNR troops at the site of what used to be Donetsk International Airport early this morning. It was repelled by DNR troops. At this moment, Ukrainian artillery is intensively shelling the outskirts of Donetsk. DNR's prime minister Zakharchenko has declared the truce to be officially over.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:47:11 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12124 on: October 20, 2014, 01:07:07 pm »

snip
If Bay12 were facebook I'd like the shit out of this post.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12125 on: October 20, 2014, 01:19:19 pm »

snip
1000000000000000000000xThis. I always (at least when I'm not infected by the rapid nationalism) try to engage in conversations in a way that makes other people understand what I want to say and not something else. Otherwise you get debates-which-go-nowhere and talking past each other, and that's no good.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12126 on: October 20, 2014, 01:21:09 pm »

snip
For me that looks like the work of Ukrainian special forces planting explosives in a right place.

I mean we have ceasefire. That can't be a missile or spec ops operation. DNR forces should stop smoking near their ammunition stockpiles.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12127 on: October 20, 2014, 02:09:32 pm »

snip
For me that looks like the work of Ukrainian special forces planting explosives in a right place.

I mean we have ceasefire. That can't be a missile or spec ops operation. DNR forces should stop smoking near their ammunition stockpiles.
http://www.businessinsider.com/ukrainian-ceasefire-is-over-2014-10

We no longer have ceasefire apparently. How convenient.

EDIT: Apparently the guy who said that has clarified that he did not actually meant that the ceasefire has ended. Figures.

EDIT2: Also he said that wasn't his twitter. Figures x 2 combo.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:05:49 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12128 on: October 20, 2014, 02:59:02 pm »

Single twit is not something I trust enough

Of cause that ceasefire is a farce from day one
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12129 on: October 20, 2014, 05:10:40 pm »

Single twit is not something I trust enough

Of cause that ceasefire is a farce from day one

I can't tell if that's a misspell or 100% intentional.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12130 on: October 20, 2014, 05:54:39 pm »

snip

Or maybe someone screwed up and smoked near something at the chemical plant that they weren't supposed to.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12131 on: October 20, 2014, 06:00:04 pm »

snip
1000000000000000000000xThis. I always (at least when I'm not infected by the rapid nationalism) try to engage in conversations in a way that makes other people understand what I want to say and not something else. Otherwise you get debates-which-go-nowhere and talking past each other, and that's no good.

Y'know, I'm an abrasive jerk but at least I dont delude myself about it.

You routinely make baiting statements to try and start arguments.  Either you need to get a clue or stop playing dumb.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12132 on: October 20, 2014, 06:23:21 pm »

MOSCOW, October 21. /TASS/. Total’s CEO Christophe de Margerie died in a plane accident at Moscow’s Vnukovo airport on Tuesday, a source told TASS.

“One passenger was registered for the flight - a citizen of France, Christophe de Margerie. Three members of the crew - also citizens of France. They all died,” the source said.

According to preliminary information, during takeoff the Falcon plane collided with a snow removal machine.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12133 on: October 20, 2014, 07:07:22 pm »

I try to keep myself in check by remembering my grandmother saying "If you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all". I amended that to "If you've nothing constructive to say, say nothing at all, unless the people you're slagging off aren't actually present. In that case let rip."
I prefer "If you've got nothing nice to say, say something clever but devastating".
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12134 on: October 20, 2014, 08:00:46 pm »

I prefer "If you've got nothing nice to say, say something clever but devastating".

Then why didn't you?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 1393