Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1757248 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12075 on: October 19, 2014, 04:20:53 pm »

Also, "dive boat". So cute~ :v
"underseaboat" also works :v
In Polish it's "underwater boat". It's fun to think how the process of languages adapting to the concept of these not meaning "broken boat" worked in detail. For example, when was it no longer necessary to add "in a good way!" whenever you mentioned that half of your fleet was underwater.

Actually, it's the same in English, except someone decided to be pretentious and use latin-inspired wording (sub-marine ship = under-sea ship).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12076 on: October 19, 2014, 06:39:56 pm »

I thought it was french?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12077 on: October 19, 2014, 07:02:58 pm »

French would be sous-marine.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12078 on: October 19, 2014, 07:23:51 pm »

And Latin would be submarinus.

The ancestry of the word is mixed, even though ultimately both parts trace back to Latin. The "marine" part comes from Middle French "marin", which came from Latin "marinus". The sub- prefix is a direct borrowing from Latin - I'm guessing, due to the fact that by the time "submarine" was coined(~17c)* it was no longer in vogue to borrow from the odious French.

*as an adjective pertaining to undersea stuff, later as a noun for undersea creatures.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12079 on: October 19, 2014, 07:57:15 pm »

The Swedish Armed Forces have released an exclusive high-definition photo of that submarine threatening Stockholm.
It may look like an unrecognisable black dot, but it differs from other unrecognisable black dots: it's obviously a Russian dot, and Russian dots are unique in their unrecognisability and can hardly be confused with other black dots. :P

High definition link to the photo itself

It's not the dot that's the thing, it's that something submerged there, which you can't really tell from one picture. And yeah, there's nothing Russian about that submergion. The assumption that it is Russian is because of the other stuff (even of the official Swedfense line is denying it right now).

And also that there's absolutely nobody else who would be interested in secretely submarining around our capital.

And, you know, past experience.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12080 on: October 19, 2014, 08:01:43 pm »

Oh, I thought we were talking about the sub- part.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12081 on: October 20, 2014, 04:13:36 am »

Interestingly, there is also a term 'dive boat' in Polish, but it means early submarine only capable of being submerged for very limited amount of time, in contrast to 'real' submarines/underwater boat which can stay submerged for prolonged amount of time. It is rarely used in practice, to be honest, and I think it might have been coined when the nuclear submarines started to pop up, able to be submerged for really long, in contrast to diesel-electric subs.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12082 on: October 20, 2014, 05:28:18 am »

The ancestry of the word is mixed, even though ultimately both parts trace back to Latin. The "marine" part comes from Middle French "marin", which came from Latin "marinus". The sub- prefix is a direct borrowing from Latin - I'm guessing, due to the fact that by the time "submarine" was coined(~17c)* it was no longer in vogue to borrow from the odious French.

*as an adjective pertaining to undersea stuff, later as a noun for undersea creatures.

Yes, and 'television' is bullshit for 'television'. Nobody every really bothered to make sure the made-up words made sense, they just had to  feel right and be properly smart-people-language-y.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12083 on: October 20, 2014, 06:07:43 am »

http://en.ria.ru/military_news/20141020/194324411/Submarine-Sought-by-Sweden-Could-Belong-to-Dutch-Navy-Russian.html

"In order to ease tensions in the Baltic Sea and save the money of Swedish taxpayers, we would recommend searching for explanations from the Dutch Navy. Last week, a Dutch diesel-electric submarine Bruinvis was completing some practical tasks in the immediate vicinity of Stockholm"

Yeah right.  :P

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12084 on: October 20, 2014, 06:13:40 am »

#SecretBelgianSubmarineOperations

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12085 on: October 20, 2014, 06:26:46 am »

The Dutch submarine has been known from the start >_>
Love, scriver~

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12086 on: October 20, 2014, 06:28:15 am »

And now for your enjoyment : belgian politics. The previous energy minister give a small gift to the next : a small torch with a dynamo. Exept the new minister have only one arm. *headdesk*
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12087 on: October 20, 2014, 06:47:19 am »

Scots have invented many things from televisions to telephones, postage stamps to bicycles, the SAS to the United States Navy... but did you know we also invented sexual intercourse? Lets see the Greeks top that one.

That said, if there's one thing we need to invent or "discover" it's a backbone. It really looks like the UK is shafting us over devolution proposals. Our press aren't holding Westminster to account over this and the Commons debates are rigged in favour of Gordon Brown, who is allowed to talk for as long as he likes despite being a backbench MP. The SNP MPs got 6 minutes in the last debate on Scottish devolution a week or so ago which magically turned into a debate on English devolution. Or... wait, sorry, "Devolution in the UK". My apologies.

Brown, that pompous slack jawed buffoon who was supposed to be the de facto architect of more powers for Scotland (more like chief promise maker), has had to resort to using a petition to pressure WM into not breaking their promise. Scotland voted No on this basis and we're being taken as fools. Quite frankly we are fools... for the last month I've felt a number of terrible emotions about my country and its people. A good powerful sense of loathing is always handy to prevent becoming one becoming a nationalist of the wrong sort.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12088 on: October 20, 2014, 06:55:48 am »

Quite frankly we are fools... for the last month I've felt a number of terrible emotions about my country and its people. A good powerful sense of loathing is always handy to prevent becoming one becoming a nationalist of the wrong sort.
You'd make a good German, you know that?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12089 on: October 20, 2014, 07:01:43 am »

Scots have invented many things from televisions to telephones, postage stamps to bicycles, the SAS to the United States Navy... but did you know we also invented sexual intercourse? Lets see the Greeks top that one.

That said, if there's one thing we need to invent or "discover" it's a backbone. It really looks like the UK is shafting us over devolution proposals. Our press aren't holding Westminster to account over this and the Commons debates are rigged in favour of Gordon Brown, who is allowed to talk for as long as he likes despite being a backbench MP. The SNP MPs got 6 minutes in the last debate on Scottish devolution a week or so ago which magically turned into a debate on English devolution. Or... wait, sorry, "Devolution in the UK". My apologies.

Brown, that pompous slack jawed buffoon who was supposed to be the de facto architect of more powers for Scotland (more like chief promise maker), has had to resort to using a petition to pressure WM into not breaking their promise. Scotland voted No on this basis and we're being taken as fools. Quite frankly we are fools... for the last month I've felt a number of terrible emotions about my country and its people. A good powerful sense of loathing is always handy to prevent becoming one becoming a nationalist of the wrong sort.

Oh goodness, the fish is called 'Microbrachius dicki'. There simply is no way this is a coincidence.
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 1393