Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1756827 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #11820 on: October 11, 2014, 08:43:14 am »

I think it is a very safe bet that whever invades will not be able to take control of all the launching sites within the hours(or days, even) it would take to order the launch.
And this for a single reason above everything else: Russia is huge. Even knowing where all of them are ( and it is never good to assume being all-knowing) a coordinated strike on all of them would be highly unlikely to be carried out quickly enough to avoid the launch of at least an handful of missiles.
And most definitely you aren't going to destroy second strike capability, which might be a factor if somebody (insane sub commander?)decides to take nuclear revenge after a conventional defeat.

edit: As sheb said, nuclear war seems unlikely to happen unless conventional war goes all out first.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11821 on: October 11, 2014, 08:47:18 am »

Oh, but you see, the Phmcw seems to advocate for strike against the nuclear launching sites, which explicitly is a thing that provokes and immediate and guaranteed nuclear response.

Like, if he advocated for a normal conventional salami-style war, I'd understand, but he seems to want some kind of magical blitzkrieg.

Here's a picture of why this is a terrible idea:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These vehicles can be absolutely everywhere and there's no way you can guarantee to kill every single one of them before somebody gives out a final order.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:50:02 am by Sergarr »
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11822 on: October 11, 2014, 08:49:36 am »

Don't worry, we Belgian will be too busy fighting each others to invade Russia right now.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11823 on: October 11, 2014, 08:53:08 am »

Like, if he advocated for a normal conventional salami-style war, I'd understand, but he seems to want some kind of magical blitzkrieg.

For some reason the phrase "magical blitzkrieg" gives me the mental image of a soldier riding an unicorn and charging towards a missile silo with a rainbow in the background.

I think it's pretty much a certainty that if anyone were to try to have a decent war these days we would all be bathed in nuclear fire and the only survivor will be Australia.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11824 on: October 11, 2014, 09:07:27 am »

Oh, but you see, the Phmcw seems to advocate for strike against the nuclear launching sites, which explicitly is a thing that provokes and immediate and guaranteed nuclear response.

Here's a picture of why this is a terrible idea:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These vehicles can be absolutely everywhere and there's no way you can guarantee to kill every single one of them before somebody gives out a final order.
There's also the Perimeter system, created to ensure that the missiles will take off even if the entire Soviet/Russian high command gets destroyed by a NATO decapitation strike.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #11825 on: October 11, 2014, 09:44:34 am »

I don't encourage it, I think that a war with Russia may become a welcomed distraction for our "beloved" elites five years from now if Germany do enter recession. And you're having way too much faith in the Russian Army. America is busy inflitrating every country at every level, have done just that since the end of WW2 and Russia cannot do the same as it did during the USSR. The 20 years of power void those last years have probaly been put to good use, and there is no way that they didn't try to find a way to neutralise Russia's nuke, if only in case Russia had fallen into a civil war during Eltsine presidency.

Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11826 on: October 11, 2014, 09:47:39 am »

So we're back to armchair generalling :All your base are radioactivated by us edition.
I don't particularly have a problem with this.
Australia wouldn't survive though, it wouldn't take more than a single MIRV to wipe out our cities.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #11827 on: October 11, 2014, 09:49:20 am »

You're right, my only point is, our politicians will need a diversion soon, and Putin is offrering one. They may become more interested in escalading things that he had anticipated.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11828 on: October 11, 2014, 09:54:11 am »

Why do you want a nuclear war so much phmcw?

Also, Kamatchka? Come on, we don't need that, besides, if you don't know already, we didn't conquer Alaska, we BOUGHT the Alaska territory from Russia. And that was before the gold rush happened there.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:56:11 am by smjjames »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11829 on: October 11, 2014, 09:55:57 am »

Also, Kamatchka? Come on, we don't need that, besides, if you don't know already, we didn't conquer Alaska, we BOUGHT the Alaska territory from Russia.
You conquered it with unfair capitalist economic warfare!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11830 on: October 11, 2014, 09:58:08 am »

Also, Kamatchka? Come on, we don't need that, besides, if you don't know already, we didn't conquer Alaska, we BOUGHT the Alaska territory from Russia.
You conquered it with unfair capitalist economic warfare!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Purchase

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11831 on: October 11, 2014, 09:59:28 am »

I believe he was kidding, smj.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11832 on: October 11, 2014, 10:08:00 am »

I don't encourage it, I think that a war with Russia may become a welcomed distraction for our "beloved" elites five years from now if Germany do enter recession. And you're having way too much faith in the Russian Army. America is busy inflitrating every country at every level, have done just that since the end of WW2 and Russia cannot do the same as it did during the USSR. The 20 years of power void those last years have probaly been put to good use, and there is no way that they didn't try to find a way to neutralise Russia's nuke, if only in case Russia had fallen into a civil war during Eltsine presidency.
And a war with NATO will be a good distraction for Putin and will guarantee nearly 100% support for him until the end of it.

Just look at how much the relatively small victory (the retaking of Crimea) has bolstered up the Putin's popularity.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11833 on: October 11, 2014, 10:16:00 am »

Should recession in Europe happen, Russia will get a huge hit just because it happened

Recession = low prices for raw materials. Guess who will suffer because of that? 2008 crisis consumed almost half of Russian central bank reserves. Russian stock-market index went from 2450 to 530 and it never recovered to pre-2008 crisis level. The highest was 2050, pre-Crimea  was 1350, current is 1065.

Back then huge reserves and oil prices getting back to $100+ allowed Russia to survive.  Now Russia is in worse situation to survive 2008-like crysis. Reserves are smaller (still rather huge, but). Putin needs to feed Crimea and spend money on war with Ukraine. Sanctions are there to make oil drilling more expensive. Ukrainian market is going away.  Shale oil and alternative energy sources become are more viable
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11834 on: October 11, 2014, 10:47:02 am »

So I haven't been finding good sources in english but I hear that Merkel has been proposing deficit financed spending to respond to the weak economic outlook in Germany.  Can any of the German speakers tell me if this is correct?

If so good news for the EU as a whole but, wow, that is some chutzpah.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 1393