Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1740564 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #11400 on: September 29, 2014, 07:23:53 am »

Having double exchange rate, calling for "destruction of the Zionist regime", having Ayatolla Ali Khomeini as a lifelong leader of the state are all unreasonable things which speak very clearly of the nature of state in question. Unsurprisingly, they go hand-in-hand with hating the USA.
You mean to say, there's no reason at all for Iran to, uh, show restrained affection towards the US other than their leadership being crazy bananas?
It's their leadership being a band of religious fanatics who rob their people both politically and economically and preach "anti-Zionist" and anti-American propaganda everywhere, blaming the west for all country's problems of which they themselves are the cause. Yes, no other reason.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11401 on: September 29, 2014, 07:37:27 am »

Yes, no other reason.
What do you know about the history of Iran-US relations? In the past 50 years, to narrow the scope.

ed: ah, we need to go back 60 years it seems.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:39:35 am by Il Palazzo »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11402 on: September 29, 2014, 07:44:33 am »

Last time I checked, US has alienated Iran by supporting Saddam's Iraq (who was once a US foreign ally #1) in his incredibly bloody and prolonged war against Iran.

Also US has harassed Iran's ships repeatedly, including sinking quite a few of them. For no good reason except for "they looked suspicious".

nanomage, are you sure you haven't been influenced by somebody in making that evaluation? Because you have to know basically nothing about the Iran-US relationships and the Levant region history to come to your conclusion.
._.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11403 on: September 29, 2014, 08:01:05 am »

Hey, you forgot the coup and the Shah's rule. The Iraqi invasion happened only after he was finally ousted.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11404 on: September 29, 2014, 08:19:56 am »

Well, of course because they're anti-Zionist, it's all actually their fault! [/sarcasm]
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11405 on: September 29, 2014, 09:07:04 am »

What is your definition of Zionism?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11406 on: September 29, 2014, 09:23:33 am »

I don't know, and that's why I used [/sarcasm]. I just copied what nanomage said.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11407 on: September 29, 2014, 09:30:09 am »

I think nanomage just mix up Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11408 on: September 29, 2014, 09:58:04 am »

I don't know, and that's why I used [/sarcasm]. I just copied what nanomage said.

I don't know what the definition is supposed to be either because sometimes it's applied to all jews and sometimes only to some, and sometimes seems to be applied only to the Israeli government.

Seems sort of like calling people you don't like, fascists.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11409 on: September 29, 2014, 10:33:46 am »

Yeah, what Helgoland said. Sure, Iran is a theocracy, but it's stable, relatively democratic (More so than most of the middle-east, including quite a few western allies) and moderate. And with Ammadinejad out, I don't see why they shouldn't be an ally.

Its relatively democratic so long as the ayatollah backed candidate wins, and even at that, its only relatively democratic because they get to choose between the various candidates the ayatollah approved in the first place. i'd say its as relatively democratic as syria is relatively democratic which means its more relatively not democratic than relatively democratic, which actually means it isn't democratic at all.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:48:26 am by burningpet »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11410 on: September 29, 2014, 10:51:49 am »

I don't have a scientific measurement but I think Iran is a little more democratic then Syria.  Syria is very autocratic indeed.  Iran did concede some power to an opposition candidate even though they kept him on a tight leash.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11411 on: September 29, 2014, 11:28:30 am »

Anyway, isn't the current discussion kinda off-topic? Aren't there any news on the European front?
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11412 on: September 29, 2014, 11:30:58 am »

It's relatively democratic as in "relative to other countries in the region". If you need to back someone, I'd rather back Iran than Saudi Arabia.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11413 on: September 29, 2014, 11:42:01 am »

For instance: Does Iran behead people?

(I'm actually serious, do they?)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11414 on: September 29, 2014, 11:47:58 am »

last time iran beheaded someone was 2003, and that was the first time in a long long while, as far as my sources say at least

meanwhile saudi arabia beheaded an iranian this month

such cases
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 1393