Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1742349 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #11190 on: September 20, 2014, 11:25:59 am »

So either the massively incompetent people were incompetent or Ukrainian government which has bent over backwards to accommodate decided to kill people for shits and giggles in a way that will easily be traceable by investigation.  Well I for one fully expect the separatists to welcome outside investigators.  ::)
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11191 on: September 20, 2014, 11:32:31 am »

Those are just presidents or prime ministers, I was talking about the bulk of the reps, and I doubt that their only achievement were exceptional military performance.

I gave you what you can expect from a forum post.  If you want a peer reviewed political science article then go to jstor.

Dude, my problem isn't that you didn't back up your claim, just that you're talking about something else. My concern was that the Ukrainian reps will consist of soldiers who became war heroes and oligarchs who bought enough voters, and what good will come of it.
 Now I can understand that a military history can add some character to politicians that's sympathetic to voters, I can also understand the people of Ukraine in this state of semi-war, but this setup just resembles a military junta to me. If you can point at a similar example turning out well then feel free to do it.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11192 on: September 20, 2014, 11:51:35 am »

Those are just presidents or prime ministers, I was talking about the bulk of the reps, and I doubt that their only achievement were exceptional military performance.

I gave you what you can expect from a forum post.  If you want a peer reviewed political science article then go to jstor.

Dude, my problem isn't that you didn't back up your claim, just that you're talking about something else. My concern was that the Ukrainian reps will consist of soldiers who became war heroes and oligarchs who bought enough voters, and what good will come of it.
 Now I can understand that a military history can add some character to politicians that's sympathetic to voters, I can also understand the people of Ukraine in this state of semi-war, but this setup just resembles a military junta to me. If you can point at a similar example turning out well then feel free to do it.
Military junta is (probably) what Russia want the Ukraine to be, after all, because that would retroactively justify all the Russian media claims.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11193 on: September 20, 2014, 11:56:59 am »

I am hoping for a junta, liberal-democracy can't win a war. Especially when it is badly corrupted. I see little actual steps to win the war

For example today we signed greet agreement to move all heavy artillery out of warzone, guess who will ignore it and what side will fight with rifles against howitzers and MRLSes? Any deals with Russia or or its puppets are absurd. At least not before they move troops out of Crimea and pay enough billions of compensation
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11194 on: September 20, 2014, 12:13:36 pm »

The most fun thing about Minsk agreement is that both sides consider it to be a surrender to the other and completely unacceptable. It's basically a perfect "peace" agreement.
._.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11195 on: September 20, 2014, 12:21:10 pm »

A perfect compromise would actually be one where both sides have the illusion of having won, and thus no reason to go against the agreement. But alas, this is the real life, and not fantasy.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11196 on: September 20, 2014, 01:03:43 pm »

A perfect compromise would actually be one where both sides have the illusion of having won, and thus no reason to go against the agreement. But alas, this is the real life, and not fantasy.

Or is it?

~Caught in a laaaaaandsliiiide...~
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11197 on: September 20, 2014, 01:17:15 pm »

* LordSlowpoke puts gun against scrdest's head

* LordSlowpoke pulls trigger

now you dead

because fuck order

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11198 on: September 20, 2014, 01:30:21 pm »

The joke's on LSP, because death is the only true escape from reality.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11199 on: September 20, 2014, 02:10:16 pm »

Your last 3 post in this thread you imply that taking a fishing ship is preparation for invasion/probing nato and similar., and that simply doesnt make sense.

And when it comes to NK, even if your a), b) where true, it will still not mean anything because it again doesnt make sense to seize a fishing/cargo boat as test to anything, or a signal that a invasion is in preparation.

Will there be little green man, it can happen, as in any country for any minority as it happens so often in the past. But the thing you need to understand when and why will russia act and where/when it will get involved.  The last two wars of russia are very similar. Ex soviet countries that started to move more to nato/EU, and in both cases russia acted directly/indirectly and in a way actually stopped their progression. While ukraine is getting a lot of support from EU/nato it will have very hard time joining them (for EU they will not be able to join until the territory problems are solved).

But I do not see a reason why they would act and push for a country that is already in nato (unless they try to do something very stupid like I dont know some rocket defence or something and even for that I am not sure they would act) so you should not worry about it that much.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:12:03 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11200 on: September 20, 2014, 02:14:11 pm »

Probing, making the news(both domestic(Russia) and abroad, and in target country), putting pressure on politicians and politics, putting pressure on military and economic alliances and agreements.

For long now there hasnt been a day without more or less bad news from Russia and I dont believe that it is unintentional.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11201 on: September 20, 2014, 02:17:04 pm »

Probing, making the news(both domestic(Russia) and abroad, and in target country), putting pressure on politicians and politics, putting pressure on military and economic alliances and agreements.

For long now there hasnt been a day without more or less bad news from Russia and I dont believe that it is unintentional.
Probably that's the Estonian media riling up anti-Russian hysteria.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11202 on: September 20, 2014, 02:18:40 pm »

Probably that's the Estonian media riling up anti-Russian hysteria.

lol

edit: where'd you come up with Estonia any way?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:20:24 pm by Erkki »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11203 on: September 20, 2014, 02:19:01 pm »

Everywhere the wind blows
Nothing matters to LSP

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11204 on: September 20, 2014, 02:27:25 pm »

Everywhere the wind blows
Nothing matters to LSP
Especially when he's on LSD.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 1393