Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1742575 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread: Dick Show Edition!
« Reply #11010 on: September 15, 2014, 07:52:38 pm »

Ok then. THE MIGHTY BELGIAN ARMY WILL CONQUER ALL! WE MAY HAVE ONE OR TWO FUNCTIONNING TANKS!

But seriously, budget wise, Europe outspend Russia several time over, have better tech to back it up, a bigger population and that's not speaking of the US that alone outspend Russia over 7 times. As modern war is largely a war of production, I don't see by which miracle Russia could win anything.

Browse this article, and compare the numbers. Keep in mind that it's the smaller part of NATO, American army is bigger and more modern.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_the_European_Union
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11011 on: September 15, 2014, 08:04:34 pm »

We can't exactly invade them though, because General Winter. And nukes.

Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11012 on: September 15, 2014, 11:02:41 pm »

@Hungarian stuff: Get over Trianon.

@nuke stuff: Would they be able to sneak a tactical nuke into Donbass? I don't mean the massive ICBMs which are placed in silos, I mean the smaller stuff. Obviously Russia would have gotten good at moving nukes around covertly during the cold war.

Also, is that the advisor to the ukranian minister of defense?

And I think you could change the title back from 'dick show edition'......
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:06:26 pm by smjjames »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11013 on: September 16, 2014, 12:33:07 am »

@Hungarian stuff: Get over Trianon.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11014 on: September 16, 2014, 01:34:50 am »

regarding tac nuke stuff - sure as hell we can. Tactical nukes can be fired from vehicles no larger than the infamous Buk. However I think that all that mutual threatening and bullshit by UA and DNR officials is now immaterial. Putin has already accomplished what he probably intended to in this war - he created a terroristic enclave on the territiry of Ukraine, like South Ossetia in Georgia or Gasa in Israel (obviously not Putin created that). DNR/LNR are gonna live (in awful poverty) on humanitarian aid and do nothing but hate and kill "Ukrainian faschists". Now Putin can both influence Ukrainian politics through intimidation, bribes, UA officials elected in DNR/LNR as well as with threats of another war in case Ukraine makes any move toward NATO/EU. So yeah I think he's not gonna restart the war. Ukrainian govt would probably like to because the current state of affairs effectively prevents them from incorporating their country into Western world, which I think was the popular demand behind them, but without Western military aid they're sure to lose so I think the truce will last.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #11015 on: September 16, 2014, 01:37:55 am »

I still think we should start letting our soldiers spend their vacation days in Königsberg Kaliningrad. Maybe they'll get lost and accidentally visit Leningrad St. Petersburg...
Beware of retaliatory vacations!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, don't forget to get back until winter, or else you'll meet the fate of your vacationing grandparents!  :P

EDIT: it reminds me of a Russian joke:

"In the early 19th century, the most popular foreign language in Russia was French. Eventually, France invaded Russia, and thousands of Cossacks visited Paris.
In the early 20th century, the most popular foreign language in the Soviet Union was German. Eventually, Germany invaded, and the Red Army went to Berlin.
In the early 21th century, the most popular foreign language in Russia is English..."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:51:10 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11016 on: September 16, 2014, 02:42:26 am »

Meanwhile Russian ruble happily goes down. Good  for Putin and his oligarch's friends, bad for population but hey, they have "faith in the government(c)" instead.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11017 on: September 16, 2014, 03:19:49 am »

Meanwhile Russian ruble happily goes down. Good  for Putin and his oligarch's friends, bad for population but hey, they have "faith in the government(c)" instead.
It would be great if we had some social science here to investigate this fenomenon. That's interesting because faith in the government Putin sure seems real and ardent but yesterday I witnessed longish queues to foreign exchange kiosks, and in the morning I've heard rumors that they're getting even longer by the hour. Surely those people aren't byuing roubles. Looks like it's a curious case of doublethink again.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11018 on: September 16, 2014, 03:22:56 am »

So what do people think of the cross party pledge to save the UK? I think it's very light on substance and most people wouldn't trust Clegg et al with fulfilling a pledge any time soon.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11019 on: September 16, 2014, 03:27:49 am »

Well, doesn't need to be doublethink. Of course, Putin is good and His glorious nipples are the only thing protecting Russia from the West, but even He cannot prevent the West from hurting the rubles.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11020 on: September 16, 2014, 03:30:41 am »

For a moment, I thought of making a picture of my dick and posting it here.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11021 on: September 16, 2014, 03:33:21 am »

Also, don't forget to get back until winter, or else you'll meet the fate of your vacationing grandparents!  :P
Well, that's why I proposed vacationing in Kaliningrad and St. Petersburg: They're right behind the border, so supplying the tourists won't become a logistic nightmare.
Vacationing in Moscow would certainly be a more enterprising and challenging holiday, but I don't think anybody would advocate that. St. Petersburg is mmore beautiful, anyway :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: September 16, 2014, 04:01:47 am »

Speaking of banning 'homosexual propaganda', members of one of the largest opposition parties here in Poland have recently been trying to criminalize sexual education.

Well, if it ain't strawman, I don't really know what is. :P

First of all, the proposition for the bill was put up to debate by people (250 000 people signed the petition, or something around that), so there's that.
Second thing is, the proposition would effectively ban only sexual education that is so ridiculously over-the-top that I honestly can not believe to this day that it somebody can propose it with straight face - like teaching pre-schoolers about boons of masturbation and stuff.
And most importantly, it was about stopping the sexualization of young people, with the actual wording being:
"The same penalty* applies to whoever promotes or commend sexual activities by children below the age 15** or supply them with items helping with conducting such activities".
*The penalty from the previous paragraph, about promoting pedophilia, which is up to two years in prison.
**Legal age for sexual activities in Poland; interestingly, while you can screw around being 16, you can not take your own naked photos.

So yeah, if I am to choose between kindergarten 'fun corners' where children are endorsed to touch each other's private parts, and this legislation, I am all in for legislation.

As for the biggest opposition party, there will be probably next to no move in polls, but it seems that next year they will indeed stop being the biggest opposition, and will become the ruling party instead. Again, I might add, as Law and Justice already ruled in 2005-2007.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11023 on: September 16, 2014, 04:09:38 am »

Well, if it ain't strawman, I don't really know what is. :P

So yeah, if I am to choose between kindergarten 'fun corners' where children are endorsed to touch each other's private parts, and this legislation, I am all in for legislation.

Speaking of pots and kettles.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: September 16, 2014, 04:11:18 am »

So what, two years of jail for giving sex ed to 14 years old? You know you're supposed to get sex ed before being sexually active, right?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 1393