Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1742629 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10995 on: September 15, 2014, 04:36:42 pm »

I still think we should start letting our soldiers spend their vacation days in Königsberg Kaliningrad. Maybe they'll get lost and accidentally visit Leningrad St. Petersburg...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10996 on: September 15, 2014, 04:43:52 pm »

I think Chinese soldiers deserve a proper vacation, too
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10997 on: September 15, 2014, 05:02:18 pm »

From the fact that Nazis were radically progressive?

Ah yes, if we just ignore all the differences any two things are alike.

The Nazis were radically cheese.

Well I don't know about every Nazi party but the Arrow Cross Party was pretty high on social justice they demanded things like universal and free healthcare and tried to provide this to their members, also tried to actively win the vote of women and had feminist organizations, and the antisemitism itself was also based on the fact that Jews were overrepresented among the higher and middle classes.
Both the extreme right and left were really kind of progressive in a way, back in the 1920s and 30s (by the standards of the time, certainly not by 21st century standards). That is why many intellectuals were drawn to them. Then there were the side-effects...

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10998 on: September 15, 2014, 05:03:31 pm »

All these things are much, much less flashy and screaming "Russia did this", than a goddamn nuclear explosion.

You don't seem to realize just how world-changing a tactical nuclear weapon usage would be, do you?
Invasion of sovereign european country has ruffled some jimmies too, and disillusioned lot of people about Russia, but my point was that Putin has blatantly lied to everyone from day one, while everyone knew he was lying, and he knew that everyone knew. Claiming that Ukrainian facists haven't destroyed their nukes/have been given nukes by NATO agressors would be in line with his behaviour so far.

I still think we should start letting our soldiers spend their vacation days in Königsberg Kaliningrad. Maybe they'll get lost and accidentally visit Leningrad St. Petersburg...
And Finland should send solders on vacation to Viipuri Viborg, to study "military history" of the area.  :P
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10999 on: September 15, 2014, 05:05:51 pm »

If he knew that everybody knew that he's lying, I doubt he would risk it anyway, because nobody would try to diplomatically kinda sorta not react to nukes like they do currently.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11000 on: September 15, 2014, 05:09:46 pm »

First, I thought they still had a sizable land army, (hasn't this been discussed before?).

Second, who does that twitter account belong to again? An 'assistant' to the minister of defense?
Aside from small core of professional solders it's sizable only when you count in conscripts, who are mostly cannon fodder. Russian army has earned it's reputation...

Everything counts. There is a reason why russian military power is in top 5 in the world. And is actually first when it comes to actual ground units military power (or better said tanks, armored  vehicles and similar)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:13:25 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11001 on: September 15, 2014, 05:14:19 pm »

There's this old joke, I'm sure I've posted it before:
It's 1941, the Nazis are marching all overr Europe, and Goebbels meets the Swiss ambassador. They get along quite well, but at some point Goebbels asks: "What if we decided to invade Switzerland?" "Every able-bodied man in our country has a rifle and knows how to operate it. You would not succeed against two million Swiss ready to defend their home." "And what if we invaded with four million?" "Then each of us would shoot twice before going home."
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11002 on: September 15, 2014, 05:24:13 pm »

Can we direct those discussions to the armchair general thread?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11003 on: September 15, 2014, 05:38:46 pm »

First, I thought they still had a sizable land army, (hasn't this been discussed before?).

Second, who does that twitter account belong to again? An 'assistant' to the minister of defense?
Aside from small core of professional solders it's sizable only when you count in conscripts, who are mostly cannon fodder. Russian army has earned it's reputation...

Everything counts. There is a reason why russian military power is in top 5 in the world. And is actually first when it comes to actual ground units military power (or better said tanks, armored  vehicles and similar)
And how much of it is in working state? Putin has dumped fortune in re-arming Russian army over the years, starting from things like making sure that tanks and APCs have spare parts to keep them running longer than few days, to at least try paying solders enough that they don't sell off their gear where they are deployed to buy food. Numbers on a paper mean little, what you can actually field is what maters.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11004 on: September 15, 2014, 05:49:20 pm »

Can we direct those discussions to the armchair general thread? Or provide actual sources to move the discussion forward, rather than empty speculation and dick-waving.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11005 on: September 15, 2014, 05:59:46 pm »

And how much of it is in working state? Putin has dumped fortune in re-arming Russian army over the years, starting from things like making sure that tanks and APCs have spare parts to keep them running longer than few days, to at least try paying solders enough that they don't sell off their gear where they are deployed to buy food. Numbers on a paper mean little, what you can actually field is what maters.
I am talking about units that are in working state, not in reserves and similar, but active. And yes putin started to invest in military, thats why it is in a lot better state than it was. Number on papers mean more than nothing as that is the only thing you have. Saying the only thing that counts is on the field will get you no where. Especially your misinformation and trying to lower the military power of a country purley on nothing, not even number on papers, but more on biased opinion.
Make love not war

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11006 on: September 15, 2014, 06:01:28 pm »

Can we direct those discussions to the armchair general thread? Or provide actual sources to move the discussion forward, rather than empty speculation and dick-waving.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11007 on: September 15, 2014, 06:12:20 pm »

Our Caliph-With-Bitching-Hat has spoken, our dicks shall remain in pants untill they are needed again.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11008 on: September 15, 2014, 06:24:07 pm »

But I was enjoying the show ;_;
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread: Dick Show Edition!
« Reply #11009 on: September 15, 2014, 06:28:49 pm »

Oh well, if Descan likes it...

Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 1393