Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1742634 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10965 on: September 15, 2014, 02:02:04 pm »

I hope they stop being one of the largest opposition parties quite soon. Probably too much to hope for, considering how many people per country are absolute idiots.
Not at all - it's quite probable! But they would remain a big party even when leaving the opposition...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10966 on: September 15, 2014, 02:07:36 pm »

I know who Jobbik is, I just wonder what the name mean. Phmcw: How do you define European culture in this context?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10967 on: September 15, 2014, 02:16:24 pm »

I know who Jobbik is, I just wonder what the name mean. Phmcw: How do you define European culture in this context?

Basically that peoples feel they have enough in common to pay each other bills when they should.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10968 on: September 15, 2014, 02:20:55 pm »

And you think Turks wouldn't be willing to pay other's bills?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10969 on: September 15, 2014, 02:26:01 pm »

And you think Turks wouldn't be willing to pay other's bills?

Basically, no. Go expalin to them our budget on sex aid, and women's programs. And vice versa. Belgian and French may pay for Turkish from Istambul, but never for eastern Turks. Their views on so many topics will are abhorent to us. They elected Edrogan, and it's not a mistake. That's what they want.

I think we'll have a lot of trouble with ISIS, because a violent Islamic caliphate will have a lot of support in the region.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10970 on: September 15, 2014, 02:30:18 pm »

Basically that peoples feel they have enough in common to pay each other bills when they should.
If that was the definition of European culture, we would not have a European culture. The idea of paying each others bills is probably the least popular concept in the EU. (I don't fundamentally disagree with you about Turkey though.)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10971 on: September 15, 2014, 02:30:48 pm »

Right, maybe it's because I come from a country where we're too busy setting up a meeting to discuss the color of the agenda where we'll inscribe the date of the exploratory conference that will determine who shall attend the discussion determining the order in which we will negotiate the potential change that we may (or not) do to solve problems that may (or not exist) to have the time for actual inter ethnic violence, but I keep forgetting how raw the tension can be in Ireland.

Raw tension, indeed. There are many people in the country with anger in their hearts. Hell, I'm one of them. :P

The difference being that I would prefer to get things settled without violence, and I do try to bury the hatchet. I succeed, too, but I draw the line at ex-IRA members. Especially the ones in politics, like Gerry and Martin.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10972 on: September 15, 2014, 02:34:30 pm »

If that was the definition of European culture, we would not have a European culture. The idea of paying each others bills is probably the least popular concept in the EU. (I don't fundamentally disagree with you about Turkey though.)

I don't think we have it yet, but it wouldn't be too hard to have it in a relatively close future. Right no, peoples rant because we're hemorragying money, but that's because the way Europe is set up.

We lack the big public services that would bee europe main asset. European trains, roads and schools could be awesome, and we're large enough to be protectionist and win the race for Africa.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10973 on: September 15, 2014, 02:41:52 pm »

I don't think we have it yet, but it wouldn't be too hard to have it in a relatively close future. Right no, peoples rant because we're hemorragying money, but that's because the way Europe is set up.

We lack the big public services that would bee europe main asset. European trains, roads and schools could be awesome, and we're large enough to be protectionist and win the race for Africa.
We pay each others bills already, it's just not a popular concept.

What race for Africa, the one we won a couple centuries back when we messed everything up there, or the one we're currently losing to China and the Islamists (depending on the region)?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10974 on: September 15, 2014, 02:42:59 pm »

P.S. Sergarr, wasn't it you who described the Russian way of life as "care for friends before money and always seek the truth"? How do you square that with your support for total control of the government over the mass media?
The key word in mass media is "mass". I've already said that the modern Russian government doesn't actively block the individual search for truth, and in fact, pushes for the increase in foreign language capabilities (namely English), which definitely help with that and would not make sense if they tried to make everyone believe only the Russian media.

There's a difference between "mass media imposed truth" and "personal search for truth".
When you have to search for truth, in the process of that search you become a better person!
While if you're spoon-fed it from the "mass media", it devolves you into a person who doesn't have it's own opinion.

That's the truth-seeking way of the Russian people. It's a personal quest for every person, with many answers, none of which are definitely full, but with each step on this road, it captures the different shapes and forms of the world in which we live.

That said, no mass-media can claim to tell truth, if they have an average attention span of about 2 months, after which things dissappear from common mass-media memory.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:44:31 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10975 on: September 15, 2014, 02:52:10 pm »

So you mean, that kind of conspiracy-shit that spoon fed by TV-channels like Ren-TV is a good thing for general population because that motivates looking for information?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10976 on: September 15, 2014, 02:54:31 pm »

So basically, it's okay to search the truth, you just shouldn't tell others?

Plus, teaching English might have plenty of use beyond looking for political truth, it's economically really useful for example. You can't trade outside the CIS without English. You can't really have programmers if they don't speak English, since all the documentation will be in English. You can't have proper scientists if they don't speak English, etc etc etc.

XXSockXX, I disagree to China "winning" Africa. They are massively unpopular there.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10977 on: September 15, 2014, 03:03:38 pm »

So basically, it's okay to search the truth, you just shouldn't tell others?

Plus, teaching English might have plenty of use beyond looking for political truth, it's economically really useful for example. You can't trade outside the CIS without English. You can't really have programmers if they don't speak English, since all the documentation will be in English. You can't have proper scientists if they don't speak English, etc etc etc.

XXSockXX, I disagree to China "winning" Africa. They are massively unpopular there.
You shouldn't tell it to masses like it's the only possible truth. Because:
1) It encourages people to not think and just follow you like a crowd of "like"-zombies.
2) Your truth may not be actual truth and then you're simply feeding lies or partial truths to people.
3) You may tell it in a way that will cause unnecessary panic or be misinterpreted. Panic is noted to cause more causalities than the disasters themselves would.

Of course you may start a dialog with other people where you would argue for your truth, while the other person will argue for his own.
This is the classical philosophy way of reaching the truth.
._.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10978 on: September 15, 2014, 03:04:47 pm »

P.S. Sergarr, wasn't it you who described the Russian way of life as "care for friends before money and always seek the truth"? How do you square that with your support for total control of the government over the mass media?
The key word in mass media is "mass". I've already said that the modern Russian government doesn't actively block the individual search for truth, and in fact, pushes for the increase in foreign language capabilities (namely English), which definitely help with that and would not make sense if they tried to make everyone believe only the Russian media.

There's a difference between "mass media imposed truth" and "personal search for truth".
When you have to search for truth, in the process of that search you become a better person!
While if you're spoon-fed it from the "mass media", it devolves you into a person who doesn't have it's own opinion.

That's the truth-seeking way of the Russian people. It's a personal quest for every person, with many answers, none of which are definitely full, but with each step on this road, it captures the different shapes and forms of the world in which we live.

That said, no mass-media can claim to tell truth, if they have an average attention span of about 2 months, after which things dissappear from common mass-media memory.
You are confusing some things. "Mass media" means just "media that can reach the masses" as opposed to media that can only reach a select few, like say a letter or a phone call. "Mass media" does not imply "media with the same content made for the stupid masses", which is what you seem to think it means and what you are probably observing with your state-controlled Russian media.
Also while there is nothing wrong per se with an individual search for "truth", it has to be somewhat based on commonly agreed upon facts, otherwise you end up with "I reject your reality and substitute my own"-like conspiracy theory crap which the net is full of.
And the short attention span thing, as I think I said earlier here, is something that applies to the internet and to low quality media much more than to others (and by extension to the consumers of such news sites). If you regularly read some quality newspapers (if you can get your hands on one that is), you might find some real journalism with a long memory and actually useful analysis.

They don't have to be popular, but they have money and they invest wisely.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10979 on: September 15, 2014, 03:10:33 pm »

Yeah, if popularity would mean anything, than you could say Europe was pretty bad at the scramble for Africa :P
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1393