Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1742639 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10935 on: September 15, 2014, 07:44:02 am »

Can they get lost?
If it's a German tank, they're probably joining on Ukraine's side.

Wonder why you're telling them to get lost if that's the case? This isn't a war you're looking to win.
By getting lost I mean getting lost in Russian Paratrooper Sense of Word :) Instead of Lviv appear somewhere in warzone

Of cause they are there for exercises only, still I like to see them there.
God I hope they do that. We haven't had an enemy a western tank kill since the end of WW2!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:52:18 am by Sergarr »
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10936 on: September 15, 2014, 07:58:33 am »

Still, looking at the mess Russian media helped create in Ukraine, you can understand Sergarr. And Russia has no monopoly on those, that's on of the National Endowment for Democracy's job after all: supporting media organization serving US interest. However, you can try to limit outside influence on the media without squishing all independent media (And independant media needs to have access to mass media to be effective).

Also, it's Guardian G.I. who keeps comparing NATO to "That other alliance of progressive countries attacking in 1945". Not sure where he got the Nazi=progressive part.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10937 on: September 15, 2014, 08:05:56 am »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10938 on: September 15, 2014, 08:12:27 am »

Can they get lost?
If it's a German tank, they're probably joining on Ukraine's side.

Wonder why you're telling them to get lost if that's the case? This isn't a war you're looking to win.
By getting lost I mean getting lost in Russian Paratrooper Sense of Word :) Instead of Lviv appear somewhere in warzone

Of cause they are there for exercises only, still I like to see them there.
God I hope they do that. We haven't had an enemy a western tank kill since the end of WW2!

Uhh....

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10939 on: September 15, 2014, 08:36:57 am »

It's funny. As an American, I find Russian propaganda rather refreshing. It's a different perspective on the world compared to the usual race-baiting, sensationalist, hypocritical bullshit that our media spews 24/7.

Dont worry, the brits have those covered too.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10940 on: September 15, 2014, 08:40:46 am »

Still, looking at the mess Russian media helped create in Ukraine, you can understand Sergarr. And Russia has no monopoly on those, that's on of the National Endowment for Democracy's job after all: supporting media organization serving US interest. However, you can try to limit outside influence on the media without squishing all independent media (And independant media needs to have access to mass media to be effective).

Also, it's Guardian G.I. who keeps comparing NATO to "That other alliance of progressive countries attacking in 1945". Not sure where he got the Nazi=progressive part.
Well why do you think English language will become a compulsory subject at the end of school in 2015 2020? It's that people can go and procure the information themselves out of foreign sources!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:42:19 am by Sergarr »
._.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: September 15, 2014, 08:55:15 am »

Well why do you think English language will become a compulsory subject at the end of school in 2015 2020? It's that people can go and procure the information themselves out of foreign sources!
I kinda miss the sense of this reply. Do you mean to say that Russian state encourages the people to read and watch anglophone media, after having destroyed all most independent Russian media? If you meant to be sarcastic then it's weird too because we all know that an average Russian school graduate can't understand two shits in English, compulsory or not.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: September 15, 2014, 09:04:45 am »

English was a number one foreign language in Soviet schools, too. 
Soviet education:  teach you skills that you will not use

And I think compulsory Chinese language in schools would be better move for Russia.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:10:06 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10943 on: September 15, 2014, 09:19:21 am »

English was a number one foreign language in Soviet schools, too. 
Soviet education:  teach you skills that you will not use

And I think compulsory Chinese language in schools would be better move for Russia.
on the contrary, it would be an absolute disaster. It's outright impossible to find enough Chinese teachers, even very basic Chinese teachers to do the job. If anything, making all schools English-only may help to raise the average quality of tuition a bit because it's the only foreign language for which it is possible to find at least semi-adequate amount of semi-adequate teachers.
Not that they're really going to teach someone English anyway...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: September 15, 2014, 10:12:27 am »

To understand Russian view on Putin, you have to keep in mind that the collapse of USSR was absolutely brutal for the average Russian. Full employment? Gone. Healthcare? Gone. Status? Gone. Security? gone. Even the army, the previous foundation of society was gone. Compeared to the complete chaos that was in place, the current neo-fascist regime seems an attractive solution. Ukraine is pretty representative of what happen when you give an ex USSR republic democraccy: secret services stayed in power, andd oligarch exploit the country.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: September 15, 2014, 10:37:44 am »

... secret services stayed in power, andd oligarch exploit the country.
wait isn't that today's Russia?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: September 15, 2014, 11:12:12 am »

At least oligarchs in Russia do not have private TV channels AFAIK.
._.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10947 on: September 15, 2014, 11:18:56 am »

At least oligarchs in Russia do not have private TV channels AFAIK.

This basically. As Putin is the last man standing, it's easy to know who is in charge, who you should adress your demand to, and who represent the country. Compeare with the violent anarchy that were the 90's.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10948 on: September 15, 2014, 11:25:28 am »

Well, the Baltic states and Georgia were USSR republics too. Of course, in the case of the Baltics, they only were Soviets for 45 years, and they avoided the worse of Stalinism, so you still had people that remembered what it was like before Communism.

More importantly, the Baltic diaspora wasn't discredited in the way that the Russian diaspora (made largely of Whites and their descendants) was, so after independence you had a lots of young, idealist, brilliant, Western-educated Balts* ready to help steer the country, and a country willing to accept them. Something similar happened after the Rose revolution in Georgia.

*I think for a while Estonia had a prime minister that could barely speak any Estonian and used English as his working language.

P.S. Sergarr, wasn't it you who described the Russian way of life as "care for friends before money and always seek the truth"? How do you square that with your support for total control of the government over the mass media?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: September 15, 2014, 11:29:04 am »

There are fears in my history classroom that, if Scotland goes Yes (most think they won't) then Sinn Fein will drive for an independent Northern Ireland.

I can only imagine where that would bring the country. Rational debate is fine, like in Scotland. But in Northern Ireland, politics and rational thought are even more estranged than in normal politics. It would be a political blood bath, and most probably a physical bloodbath. I honestly shudder to think of it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 1393