Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1701226 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10875 on: September 14, 2014, 10:15:30 am »

Corruption at universities entry exams, for one.
Old communications, for two.
Prestige of the army, for three.
American influence corrupting the society, for four.
Chechnya, for fifth.
1) In official statistics maybe

2) In Moscow, thanks for all oil money, yes. In small towns and villages: Only degradation

3) What Prestige? Everyone sane knows - if you want to be morally degraded, tortured, used as a slave workforce or raped - join Russian army. Else do anything to avoid conscription service

4) what do you mean by that? I wan clarification here. What kind of influence?

5) Chechnya isn't solved. You are paying tribute to de-facto independent Kadyrov who uses that money to spread organized crime over all Russia.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10876 on: September 14, 2014, 10:42:09 am »

Swedish election day.
Love, scriver~

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10877 on: September 14, 2014, 10:54:16 am »

I think the argument is more that making people feel ashamed about their weight isn't an effective way to help them lose it.
Telling obese people it's ok to be obese will help them not be obese?
There's a big difference between telling people obesity is hunky dory and supporting the obese in a way that isn't as likely to lead to self loathing etc.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10878 on: September 14, 2014, 11:19:03 am »

There's a big difference between telling people obesity is hunky dory and supporting the obese in a way that isn't as likely to lead to self loathing etc.
You tell them that then. It was not too long ago that I was ranting about the preposterousness of that one particularly obese woman squaring off against a doctor over whether the term obese should be banned because it made obese people feel bad, or when I was ranting about the malicious delusions of the fat acceptance movement that preached the Darwin-award worthy notion that being obese is not a massive health risk and a gratuitous waste of resources and healthcare, or when I was ranting about how the fat acceptance movement reached the point where they were saying things like people calling them fat is literally as bad as racism.
No one should have to support the obese because obesity is not something that should be supported. Help people get fit and have the NHS try to keep them alive in an uphill battle only getting worse with each and every extra large portion of fries. 28% of British children are now obese too. Nothing disgusts me more than a parent who feeds their child troughs of fast food; it's neglect. Feel guilt and shame for an unhealthy lifestyle because it is an unhealthy lifestyle.
Much can be done to aid the obese, for one stop the promotion of food adverts that sexualize gluttony and those "calorie count" diets that promise freedom from fat yet deliver only malnutrition and dangerous weight loss, for another spend gratuitous amounts of money trying to persuade people to be more proactive against the face of their sedentary lives and promote healthy eating (at this point obese people are such a strain on this country that anything that costs lest than £5,000,000,000 is a net profit). But at the end of the day if you have working limbs and you get obese and you feel shame when confronted with your obesity you should try to change yourself instead of forcing the world to change around you. The obesity problem is already beyond the point where the majority of the UK is obese, shame is what you feel when you personally make foolish decisions; it is not something to run away from when you eat yourself to an early grave, you confront it and better yourself.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10879 on: September 14, 2014, 11:23:08 am »

I think that NQT meant "support" as "helping them overcome their problems" rather than acceptance of the status quo.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10880 on: September 14, 2014, 11:36:52 am »

I think that NQT meant "support" as "helping them overcome their problems" rather than acceptance of the status quo.
Worth clarifying, argued with too many people who unironically supported obesity.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10881 on: September 14, 2014, 12:05:03 pm »

The fat acceptance people are pretty loony. Or, at least, the ones that believe that being fat isn't a health risk and people just say that because they want to feel better about themselves.

Anyways, that's needing its own thread. This thread isn't the fat thread.

i made a thing

vote the citystate of lsp for best thread maker all the years

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10882 on: September 14, 2014, 01:02:18 pm »

Swedish election day.

Anything interesting going on with that? Did Sweden implement direct democracy?

Tjoh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10883 on: September 14, 2014, 01:45:58 pm »

Votes are currently being counted. It will probably be a close race between the red-greens and the alliance. Nobody wants to collaborate with the racists SD and they might get almost twice as many votes as they got last time and possibly become the third largest party in the riksdag.
We might even get some changes in the riksdag. The feminist initiative might get in and the centre or the christian democrats might be booted out.

Things will be interesting.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10884 on: September 14, 2014, 01:52:10 pm »

Corruption at universities entry exams, for one.
Old communications, for two.
Prestige of the army, for three.
American influence corrupting the society, for four.
Chechnya, for fifth.
1) In official statistics maybe

2) In Moscow, thanks for all oil money, yes. In small towns and villages: Only degradation

3) What Prestige? Everyone sane knows - if you want to be morally degraded, tortured, used as a slave workforce or raped - join Russian army. Else do anything to avoid conscription service

4) what do you mean by that? I wan clarification here. What kind of influence?

5) Chechnya isn't solved. You are paying tribute to de-facto independent Kadyrov who uses that money to spread organized crime over all Russia.

Only one word, economy. Russian economy has improved a lot in last 14 years. And you can see it from salaries that vent up, especially in construction department and military where I have personal contacts with people working there. Is it because of putin or something else I dont know.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markadomanis/2012/07/26/russias-economic-growth-in-comparison-with-the-g7/

But russian economy will get a hit now because of things in ukraine, as same as a lot (or better said several) of EU countries.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 02:18:22 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10885 on: September 14, 2014, 02:18:00 pm »

I do love how America's reputation alternates between evil literal fascists and libertine destroyers of Our People depending upon the speaker. Such a wide range of opinion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tjoh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10886 on: September 14, 2014, 02:43:19 pm »

Almost half of the voting districts have been counted. The swedish democrats have about 14% of the votes now.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10887 on: September 14, 2014, 02:44:04 pm »

Almost half of the voting districts have been counted. The swedish democrats have about 14% of the votes now.

can you tell me more about the political climate in sweden and how the party you speak of is important

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10888 on: September 14, 2014, 02:47:11 pm »

can you tell me more about the political climate in sweden and how the party you speak of is important

They are important because they're basically borderline fascists. Very worrying development that....

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10889 on: September 14, 2014, 02:47:53 pm »

fascists

in sweden

they what
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 1393