Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1702083 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10860 on: September 14, 2014, 07:45:52 am »

Nebelkrieg - fog warfare! Fog is pretty much the opposite of thunderstorms, as far as bad weather goes.
Salamikrieg is more appropriate, methinks.
But you can see how far the salami has been sliced! With fog, half the time you don't know whether it's moving forward or backward.
Schrödingerkrieg?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10861 on: September 14, 2014, 08:14:18 am »

What do you mean? Like the corruption and oligarchs?
Yep. Many corrupted old faces. And what is more depressing less politically aware people are ready to vote for them

It is the best list of candidates during my lifetime some renovation will happen, and we'll see far less Russian agents but back in Maydan times I hoped for better choices.
Just wait until the new faces get corrupted. It's inevitable. The cycle of Ukrainian presidency will continue. They always enter at the wave of popularity, and exit at the hands of another Maidan.

The truly sad part of this, is that the exact same thing could have happened to Russia, if not for Putin. And that's horrifying.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10862 on: September 14, 2014, 08:20:09 am »

What do you mean? Like the corruption and oligarchs?
Yep. Many corrupted old faces. And what is more depressing less politically aware people are ready to vote for them

It is the best list of candidates during my lifetime some renovation will happen, and we'll see far less Russian agents but back in Maydan times I hoped for better choices.
Just wait until the new faces get corrupted. It's inevitable. The cycle of Ukrainian presidency will continue. They always enter at the wave of popularity, and exit at the hands of another Maidan.

The truly sad part of this, is that the exact same thing could have happened to Russia, if not for Putin. And that's horrifying.
You see, we, Ukrainians,  have progress, slow, painful, with setbacks but progress. We struggle to become better. We had so many changes since 2000

While Russia is rotting under Putin's rule. Russians doing nothing to improve own country. And your country is almost exactly like it was in 2000 when Putin arrived.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10863 on: September 14, 2014, 08:38:20 am »

My country is not "exactly like" it was in 2000. In 2000, Russia was falling into the abyss, in 2014, Russia is not doing that.
._.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10864 on: September 14, 2014, 08:45:54 am »

My country is not "exactly like" it was in 2000. In 2000, Russia was falling into the abyss, in 2014, Russia is not doing that.

A decent case could be made that it is teetering on the edge, though.
This is a blank sig.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10865 on: September 14, 2014, 08:55:19 am »

What problems of Russia 2000 got solved?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10866 on: September 14, 2014, 09:34:40 am »

What problems of Russia 2000 got solved?
Corruption at universities entry exams, for one.
Old communications, for two.
Prestige of the army, for three.
American influence corrupting the society, for four.
Chechnya, for fifth.

And personally, in Russia around 2003, I did not had much hope for the future of Russia. Now, I have.
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10867 on: September 14, 2014, 09:42:05 am »

Nebelkrieg - fog warfare! Fog is pretty much the opposite of thunderstorms, as far as bad weather goes.
Salamikrieg is more appropriate, methinks.

Salamikrieg sounds more like an obscure, brief war between... I guess the Swiss and some city-state in northern Italy, over meat exports.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10868 on: September 14, 2014, 09:46:28 am »

Prestige of the army, for three.
American influence corrupting the society, for four.
These two... didn't really need solving, did they? Too much army pride -> America or authoritarianism, and American (cultural) influence is hardly something to be afraid of.

Edit: Removed stupidity.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:55:10 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10869 on: September 14, 2014, 09:50:47 am »

Helgo, "Schrödinger." Not "Schröder."

The guy with the cat he maybekilled, remember? :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10870 on: September 14, 2014, 09:54:54 am »

American (cultural) influence is hardly something to be afraid of.

tell me more about all the culture america exported to us

now exclude the mass culture

i'm no expert but i'm fairly sure that it's peanuts compared to the recently excluded

there's a reason why people have to subsidize operas, for fuck's sake

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10871 on: September 14, 2014, 09:56:59 am »

tell me more about all the culture america exported to us

now exclude the mass culture

i'm no expert but i'm fairly sure that it's peanuts compared to the recently excluded

there's a reason why people have to subsidize operas, for fuck's sake

the difference being?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:00:20 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10872 on: September 14, 2014, 09:59:30 am »

ABANDON THREAD
MURRICA HAS ARRIVED

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10873 on: September 14, 2014, 09:59:51 am »

Jazz? Movies - especially the early ones? The '68 movement? Hemingway? Basketball? West Side Story? It depends on what yu call mass culture, sure, but the world would be much poorer culturally without America.

And operas have to be subsidizes because people who go to operas now are neither numerous nor wealthy enough to support them, because nowadays we dislike exploiting peasants for fun and profit.
IIRC, American operas aren't subsidized, by the way.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10874 on: September 14, 2014, 10:01:17 am »

if american operas are not subsidized (big if, i failed to do any research but i suppose they aren't) it would because of, you know

exploiting peasants

america tends to do that
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 1393