Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752669 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10800 on: September 12, 2014, 07:26:35 pm »

There are mixed and varied views on Ian Paisley. I doubt I would have supported him, but I suppose his death marks the end of an era.

On the Sinn Fein link, it may show a change in time, but I doubt very much if it's a change in opinion. What you have is politicians trying to make themselves look good.

If there were two politicians I hate, it would be them. Others, I dislike. Those two, well, I can't stand them.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10801 on: September 12, 2014, 07:36:01 pm »

There are mixed and varied views on Ian Paisley. I doubt I would have supported him, but I suppose his death marks the end of an era.

On the Sinn Fein link, it may show a change in time, but I doubt very much if it's a change in opinion. What you have is politicians trying to make themselves look good.

If there were two politicians I hate, it would be them. Others, I dislike. Those two, well, I can't stand them.

Well of course you would, given your politics.

I thought McGuinness seemed genuinely emotional at the news of Paisley's death, though. They did become genuine friends; that's been widely reported across the media for years. You can interpret it as "politicians trying to make themselves look good" but you've still got to give them credit for saying the right stuff; Gerry Adams sending out a message of solidarity and support to Paisley's family and all the rest of it. To come from bomb blasts and assassinations and riots to this is quite a change, and ultimately a credit to the peace process.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:38:12 pm by Owlbread »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10802 on: September 12, 2014, 07:41:35 pm »

Well of course you would, given your politics.

No, given my politics I would dislike them. I would have nothing against them, as people.

Those two are a special case.

And yes, Sinn Fein sent out the correct response, as they are always very careful to do.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10803 on: September 12, 2014, 09:01:17 pm »

FWIW, Paisley did change his ways once the shared government experiment started.

And it's not that unusual. Mandela and Thabo Mbeki were solemn at the death of P.W. Botha (Mbeki even attended Botha's funeral), and Botha remained a staunch opponent of black rule in South Africa up to his death and unapologetic for apartheid and the state security violence he authorized.

Or how most of the Arab world reacted to the assassinaton of Yitzhak Rabin (and properly so...Rabin was probably the closest we've ever come to having an Israeli PM who could deliver a peace deal and a Palestinian state).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10804 on: September 13, 2014, 03:54:25 am »

Is there some sort of agenda here?
Ayup. Look at that post I made some pages back about the nature of this thread.

Rule of thumb: European politics is much more consensus-heavy than its American counterpart. Same thing goes for discourse, as far as I can tell.
Just... try and be a little less confrontational, and you'll fit right in.

Is this for the thread or real life?  If real life, I haven't noticed it in the Europe I live in, might have to do something with the American political advisors.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10805 on: September 13, 2014, 04:04:37 am »

As long as London influence in Europe is weakened, I'll be a staunch supporter of Scotland independance. It weaken both the main obstacle to European federalism, and the biggest US backdoor in our system.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10806 on: September 13, 2014, 05:06:43 am »

As long as London influence in Europe is weakened, I'll be a staunch supporter of Scotland independance. It weaken both the main obstacle to European federalism complete French-German domination, and the biggest US backdoor in our system.

Fixed that for you.
Love, scriver~

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10807 on: September 13, 2014, 05:09:30 am »

As long as London influence in Europe is weakened, I'll be a staunch supporter of Scotland independance. It weaken both the main obstacle to European federalism complete French-German domination, and the biggest US backdoor in our system.

Fixed that for you.

feel free to leave and by such make sure that there's less counterweight for them left in the system if you don't like it m8

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10808 on: September 13, 2014, 06:06:42 am »

Fixed that for you.
I always wonder - how can a people of 80 million that's too timid to go to war and too self-conscious to openly seek power dominate almost a whole continent of ~750 million people, including two nuclear powers?

Because, you know, the French are complaining about German dominance too.

Where are you from, anyway, scriver?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10809 on: September 13, 2014, 06:29:44 am »

I always wonder - how can a people of 80 million that's too timid to go to war and too self-conscious to openly seek power dominate almost a whole continent of ~750 million people, including two nuclear powers?
Through constant pushes for "European federalization" and economical control.

Exactly.

As long as London influence in Europe is weakened, I'll be a staunch supporter of Scotland independance. It weaken both the main obstacle to European federalism, and the biggest US backdoor in our system.
See? And what are you on about, the US WANTS the UK to remain in the EU so it'll always have a backdoor, all this'll do is make sure the US is forever taped onto the EU through a fucked up U/K.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10810 on: September 13, 2014, 06:46:42 am »

Through constant pushes for "European federalization" and economical control.

Exactly.
All measures have to be agreed upon democratically, you know... In fact federalization would lessen German influence.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10811 on: September 13, 2014, 06:47:00 am »

Germans only dominate Europe because no one try to oppose the Übermutti and the European institutions themselves are too weak. Euro-federalism is the answer, not the cause, of German power.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10812 on: September 13, 2014, 08:08:08 am »

Blaming the Germans is easy. They're the perfect scapegoat.
The real issue is, regardless of nationality, that most people in Europe are sick and tired of EU legislation being pushed down their throats from Brussels in a non-democratic, untransparant way, which seems mostly to benefit some big corporations, and break down social security.
People are disgusted with hearing politicians say "We can't, because EU...", and "We have no choice, because EU..." over and over and over and over.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:11:45 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10813 on: September 13, 2014, 08:11:01 am »

can i have some sources on the "benefiting big corporations" and "breaking down social security" parts tia

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10814 on: September 13, 2014, 08:13:54 am »

Well, it's a fact that national politicians prefer to vote for something in the Council then blame the EU rather than assume their reform directly.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 1393