Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752495 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10665 on: September 10, 2014, 12:47:12 pm »

Now you have Alex Salmond saying that Scotland won't take a portion of the UK's national debt when it leaves, and comparing the referendum to the end of apartheid in South Africa.

Och, 'ats a wee bit o' hyperbole, dinna ye think?

If you fellows are going to keep reading the Daily Telegraph commentary on this debate I'm not sure how I'm going to cope. If you must read a Unionist paper's opinion on the referendum then at least read the Herald or the Guardian which are half decent.

I heard him make those same comments last week; he didn't compare the No voters to Apartheid South Africans, he didn't compare the British government to Apartheid. He just said that the surge in vote registration - people literally queuing up in the street to register to vote - was reminiscent of scenes from after Apartheid when people were voting for the first time. Unionists have very thin skins these days.

The debt thing is also not new, and the headline is the hyperbolic part there - he repeated something he's been saying for two years i.e. that if the British government refuses to give us access to the pound in a currency union then we simply won't take on a share of the debt, because that is entirely voluntary. Did Ukraine take on any of the former USSR's debt after it became independent, I wonder?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10666 on: September 10, 2014, 12:51:19 pm »

owlie

the ussr ceased to exist

they're going to rename the uk probably (unless they're going to go with england and wales, that's a thing) but it will not just cease to exist

russia was accepted as the successor state to the whole thingamajig, therefore it received all the debt

i think numerous people already told you how that went for them

but no, the situations are comparable i'll admit but not enough to draw parallels

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10667 on: September 10, 2014, 12:53:20 pm »

russia was accepted as the successor state to the whole thingamajig, therefore it received all the debt

We know that, like Russia, the UK will be the only successor state after the vote on independence and will thus inherit all of the debt.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10668 on: September 10, 2014, 12:55:25 pm »

is serbia the successor state to

itself i guess

it wasn't renamed after kosovo split off

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10669 on: September 10, 2014, 01:01:31 pm »

Owly, calm down. I didn't say Salmond compared the British to South African whites, or anything of the sort. Merely that he made the comparison (by his own quote).

One bit that I did find interesting was a piece on how Scottish independence could affect the makeup of Parliament. Because Labour is dominant in Scotland, losing those seats in the House of Commons could swing the UK Parliament even more towards the Tories. Small wonder that Labour seems to be the most strident advocate of the No vote.

Sort of how losing California would make the US Congress more Republican or losing Texas would make it more Democratic.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10670 on: September 10, 2014, 01:03:41 pm »

Owly, calm down. I didn't say Salmond compared the British to South African whites, or anything of the sort. Merely that he made the comparison (by his own quote).

One bit that I did find interesting was a piece on how Scottish independence could affect the makeup of Parliament. Because Labour is dominant in Scotland, losing those seats in the House of Commons could swing the UK Parliament even more towards the Tories. Small wonder that Labour seems to be the most strident advocate of the No vote.

Sort of how losing California would make the US Congress more Republican or losing Texas would make it more Democratic.

The line among my colleagues is that Labour does not actually need Scottish seats to succeed. It's unclear exactly how British politics is going to change after this vote, it could shift to the left or to the right or even, as I suspect, remain pretty much the same. I hope that Scotland can at least be an example to England for how to run a country along social-democratic lines. You know, maybe they don't actually need tuition fees if they downsize the military/military technology a bit.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:11:19 pm by Owlbread »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10671 on: September 10, 2014, 01:19:34 pm »

The line among my colleagues is that Labour does not actually need Scottish seats to succeed. It's unclear exactly how British politics is going to change after this vote, it could shift to the left or to the right or even, as I suspect, remain pretty much the same. I hope that Scotland can at least be an example to England for how to run a country along social-democratic lines. You know, maybe they don't actually need tuition fees if they downsize the military/military technology a bit.
Yes, but Scotland can afford the luxury of a tiny military more than the UK can. The article was interesting, and something to think about, but I'm not totally convinced. I think removing Scotland from the equation makes Labour's job much harder in the UK. Although, you can argue that they were going to fuck it up anyways (or were going to landslide anyways), and there may be something to that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10672 on: September 10, 2014, 01:21:13 pm »

Yes, but Scotland can afford the luxury of a tiny military more than the UK can. The article was interesting, and something to think about, but I'm not totally convinced. I think removing Scotland from the equation makes Labour's job much harder in the UK. Although, you can argue that they were going to fuck it up anyways (or were going to landslide anyways), and there may be something to that.
Don't forget that most of UK's nuclear potential is in Scotland.
._.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10673 on: September 10, 2014, 01:24:04 pm »

The Tory swing is something I am fucking paranoid about if Scotland goes. Wales is split between Plaid and Labour, both in the Senedd and in Westminster. Continual Tory rule thanks to England's blue masses dominating any vote is going to be hard to take, and may fuel separatist feelings here in Wales more than anything else (we do not do Tory thinking - hanks Thatcher), and I hope that Plaid will hopefully harness these well, should events pan out that way.
This is a blank sig.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10674 on: September 10, 2014, 01:27:54 pm »

History shows that when a single party becomes too strong, it will very soon experience serious inner tensions inside the party, which usually ends up with splinter factions.
._.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10675 on: September 10, 2014, 01:48:53 pm »

Can someone explain for me, why sports betting websites bet more and more on a NO in the referendum? Currently, chance are 1.33 for No vs. 3.25 for YES. I mean they make money from that, they can not be that unreliable?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10676 on: September 10, 2014, 02:10:22 pm »

Indeed, which is why I said might be huge. We don't know for sure yet.

I doubt it. This info came from the BBC a few days ago, I believe even before the EU members voted, and decided to not impose any more sanctions atm.
I think no one will take any action based on whatever media story, until the final crash investigation report comes out, in about a year from now.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10677 on: September 10, 2014, 02:23:27 pm »

Can someone explain for me, why sports betting websites bet more and more on a NO in the referendum? Currently, chance are 1.33 for No vs. 3.25 for YES. I mean they make money from that, they can not be that unreliable?
Who's saying they are? All we have is one poll showing what is essentially a tie, after months of a clear no lead. If too many undecideds get cold feet, Scotland won't secede.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10678 on: September 10, 2014, 02:25:12 pm »

Polling is erratic and big surges after high profile events like debates often disappear.  So you just practice Bayesian statistics.  You have a strong prior (Scotland will probably vote no) which has received some evidence (polling says yes).  There is a very high chance that the polls would say yes if Scotland will decide on yes eventually but there is a moderately high chance that yes will lead at the polls at some point if the final result will be no.  So you adjust your expectations in light of the new information but you don't discard what you already knew.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10679 on: September 10, 2014, 02:31:08 pm »

That's true, but I would have thought if it would be really undecided, the chance would have been more equal. Also, the chances they gave YES last week were around 2.8, so according to them it is becoming more likely that they wont secede. It's just against all media coverage I currently notice and states (for me, from overseas) the real chances in the situation.

So for me, this just states some evidence that the media is clearly biased. I wish they had a similar poll for ukraine :-\
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:33:06 pm by Aerval »
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 1393