Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752490 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10650 on: September 10, 2014, 09:01:34 am »

Not to mention China would just take pictures of everything and produce their own rip-off version two years later.
And the fact that NASA is forbidden by law (as of 2011) from cooperating with China on space matters, especially with the ISS.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10651 on: September 10, 2014, 09:04:00 am »

China is infamously isolationist, though not hostile, with their space missions.
And the fact that NASA is forbidden by law (as of 2011) from cooperating with China on space matters, especially with the ISS.
Looks to me more like China is being isolated, rather than isolationist.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10652 on: September 10, 2014, 09:22:36 am »

Also, I am totally fine with China getting their hands on whatever tech is in the ISS. The more space programs the better.

Anyway, couldn't the astronaut just request visas from Kiev?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10653 on: September 10, 2014, 09:42:44 am »

I think the Russians are just trying to emulate the French from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"Go away, you silly American wipers of other peoples bottoms!"

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10654 on: September 10, 2014, 09:44:44 am »

Anyway, couldn't the astronaut just request visas from Kiev?

What if Kiev refuses the visas? That's kind of the problem. Not to mention the whole diplomatic issues surrounding Crimea.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10655 on: September 10, 2014, 09:55:33 am »

Kiev is not going to refuse, because a) It lets them continue pretending they rule over Crimea and b) They don't want to piss off the West futilely.

On another note, this might be huge. BBC  said they interviewed witnesses that saw the Buk on the day MH17 was shot down was crewed by Russians "with a Moscow accent".

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10656 on: September 10, 2014, 10:13:41 am »

Kiev is not going to refuse, because a) It lets them continue pretending they rule over Crimea and b) They don't want to piss off the West futilely.

On another note, this might be huge. BBC  said they interviewed witnesses that saw the Buk on the day MH17 was shot down was crewed by Russians "with a Moscow accent".
So, no actual physical evidence, then? I'm pretty suspicious of people claiming to be eyewitnesses, especially since it has been like two months already, where they were all this time before?
._.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10657 on: September 10, 2014, 10:14:47 am »

So the Russian terrorists who killed civilians with a Russian military Buk were Russians, as most of us figured.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10658 on: September 10, 2014, 10:17:21 am »

So the Russian terrorists who killed civilians with a Russian military Buk were Russians, as most of us figured.
I'm pretty sure it was a Ukrainian Buk, looted from the Ukrainian army stash over there.... there were a lot of military equipment in that area, because, you know, Russian border?
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10659 on: September 10, 2014, 10:22:11 am »

I'm pretty sure it was a Ukrainian Buk, looted from the Ukrainian army stash over there.... there were a lot of military equipment in that area, because, you know, Russian border?

it was obviously russian equipment, because as we all know, ukrainians are not allowed to own anything post-soviet

who gives a shit whose it was in the first place if the separatists got their hands on them though

unless y'know being supplied from outside the warzone but that's a different tangent

thing being don't bother

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10660 on: September 10, 2014, 10:30:18 am »

So, no actual physical evidence, then? I'm pretty suspicious of people claiming to be eyewitnesses, especially since it has been like two months already, where they were all this time before?
Their only proof was a reference to accounts of unseen eyewitnesses. Are the journalists from BBC copying the reporting style of their Russian colleagues? :P
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:40:30 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10661 on: September 10, 2014, 11:02:02 am »

The rebels/separatists OTOH had been boasting about owning a BUK system less than a week ago. It was also photographed twice by the Guardian reporters IIRC.

Any way:

-rebel/separatist social media behavior after the incident(we told you to not enter our airspace or whatever it was)
-crash site: rebel held territory
-Dutch report: particles/fragments that caused the destruction of the aircraft approached from ahead and from above the floor level: ie. from the East(rebel area and Russia)
-Su-25 not having a radar, not being able to carry radar missiles, at least some models not being able to reach that altitude at all, not being able to achieve that speed, carrying only short range contact-exploding heat-seeking missiles with a small warhead, and apparently the ones Ukraine has arent even all-aspect guiding and cant be shot head-on(shoots down the Russian theories propaganda)
-Dutch report again: immediate mid-air disintegration/explosion of the aircraft and no mayday call
-There has been an argument that the missile fired by a BUK system would have left a very long and visible smoke trail. This is IMHO only partially valid: the missile accelerates only 15 s(or less than the first 4000 m of the flight) and with its very long effective range even to such altitudes, the firing platform could have been very far away

I believe that these points more or less rule out direct Ukrainian involvement and make it very probable that MH17 was indeed shot down by a BUK or similar missile air defense system. Theres still the chance of an air-to-air missile, but Russia has not claimed Ukrainian fighters in the area(other than the Su-25 which actually isnt a fighter) and would have required the attackers to fly in an airspace where multiple aircraft had been lost at high altitude to surface-air missiles during the previous week. Also I'm not sure if R-27 has enough explosive content to do such damage. BUK's 9M38 missile has 20 times the explosive content.

Then theres of course the various radio discussions and such provided by Ukrainian military intelligence but I'm not sure how valid evidence they are or if any of them are even real. Russians and Ukrainians are both pretty good in "media warfare".

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10662 on: September 10, 2014, 11:57:07 am »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10663 on: September 10, 2014, 12:21:48 pm »

Indeed, which is why I said might be huge. We don't know for sure yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10664 on: September 10, 2014, 12:41:16 pm »

Now you have Alex Salmond saying that Scotland won't take a portion of the UK's national debt when it leaves, and comparing the referendum to the end of apartheid in South Africa.

Och, 'ats a wee bit o' hyperbole, dinna ye think?

Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 1393