Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752437 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10635 on: September 10, 2014, 05:29:53 am »

Is that code for setting up people that can beat up eventual protesters?
The only thing he said is that he intends to unite left-wing and right-wing forces and that he'll give a press conference "soon".

Yeah, he cannot give it right off the bat, ending world hunger and achieving global peace takes an afternoon, you know.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10636 on: September 10, 2014, 05:56:33 am »

The only thing he said is that he intends to unite left-wing and right-wing forces and that he'll give a press conference "soon".
Do you have an idea what he'd understand to be 'left-wing' forces? It's not gonna be Pussy Riot, after all - neo(?)-Communists?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10637 on: September 10, 2014, 06:06:33 am »

Do you have an idea what he'd understand to be 'left-wing' forces? It's not gonna be Pussy Riot, after all - neo(?)-Communists?
yep, sure. it'll be Limonov's "National-Bolsheviks", Udaltsov's "Left Front" and gyus like that, plus the crazed wing of CPRF supporters. They are mostly not about social justice, but about "away with american influence", "nationalize western assets" and "close the borders". Perfect people for him.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10640 on: September 10, 2014, 07:11:24 am »

Why not just set up a training facility in the West, then?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10641 on: September 10, 2014, 07:15:22 am »

Why not just set up a training facility in the West, then?

According to the article, Russia is the only one who can take astronauts to and from the ISS.

Chances are if they refuse to train there, they won't be going up.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10642 on: September 10, 2014, 07:43:54 am »

Then de-mothball some space shuttles. ISS can fly on its own for a while. And in the meantime Russia will have to pay for all launches completely by itself.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10643 on: September 10, 2014, 07:50:52 am »

And in the meantime Russia will have to pay for all launches completely by itself.

what launches

the russians can literally just fly a rocket there, take their crew home and tell the station to go fuck itself

another reason to thank obama and his predecessors for throwing nasa under the bus

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: September 10, 2014, 07:52:50 am »

'ccording to one of the linked articles in the one I previously mentioned, NASA doesn't have anything that can service the ISS, at least not until 2017.

I would look further into whether or not any old shuttle would work for them, but I can't be bothered for innumerous reasons, most pressing of which is a wonderful insomniac haze.

It looks like the Russkis are just being bastards though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10645 on: September 10, 2014, 07:56:19 am »

Then de-mothball some space shuttles. ISS can fly on its own for a while. And in the meantime Russia will have to pay for all launches completely by itself.

Isn't the ISS going to be decommissioned in about 5-10 years anyway? And no on de-mothballing the shuttles, they were already decommissioned and given to various museums.

I do wish they'd get moving on the Orion program, but freaking congress doesn't want to give more budget.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_retirement

Many parts have been either scrapped or given away. Do you want NASA to waste time rebuilding the parts or collecting back the parts? :P
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:02:44 am by smjjames »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10646 on: September 10, 2014, 08:06:16 am »

Recommissioning the shuttles is unfeasible at this point. It would be quicker, easier and far, far cheaper to fasttrack the Dragon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10647 on: September 10, 2014, 08:11:48 am »

Though I guarentee you that abandoning the ISS is not a thing that Russia would do unless Putin really has lost it. The ISS is one of the most idealistic global projects out there right now, so "recognize Crimean claims or I starve your astronauts" is a step that would cause mass unrest. You don't do that sort of divisive partisan strongarming with space missions. Even the USSR held to that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10648 on: September 10, 2014, 08:17:42 am »

Maybe China could offer to help? I know there are issues between our two governments, but that shouldn't stop cooperation on space programs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: September 10, 2014, 08:28:00 am »

China is infamously isolationist, though not hostile, with their space missions.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1393