Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752377 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10575 on: September 09, 2014, 09:26:59 am »

I have to say that, as reluctant as I am to touch Germany's territorial integrity (their federal model is a nice example of something that can work) it would probably work best if Bavaria was independent. They're at least as different from the rest of Germany as Austria, anyway.

What about Saxony? Thuringia? Cleves? City state of Cologne?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10576 on: September 09, 2014, 09:27:45 am »

You're just giving names you saw as HRE minors in EUIV, right?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10577 on: September 09, 2014, 09:29:15 am »

You're just giving names you saw as HRE minors in EUIV, right?

You got me there, yep :D lol

Wasn't Cologne pretty much a city state in it's own right though?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:30:55 am by smjjames »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10578 on: September 09, 2014, 09:31:02 am »

What about Saxony? Thuringia? Cleves? City state of Cologne?

You can divide Germany along numerous cultural and linguistic lines like any other state. There's less demand/urgency for it though than, say, the division of France because Germany enjoys a federal model that works reasonably well. France on the other hand is actively stifling its constituent nations through its bizarre system of local government and oppressive language policies.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10579 on: September 09, 2014, 09:35:14 am »

Well, actually you had two polity named Cologne: the Free Imperial City of Cologne (pretty much a city-state from 1288 onward) and the Electorate of Cologne, which is the EUIV state, was ruled by the Archbishopric of Cologne and didn't include the City of Cologne.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10580 on: September 09, 2014, 10:17:16 am »

Not to mention Germans don't call it Cologne.  :P

The funny thing is that the stereotype of Germany (in the United States, at least) is very much that of Bavaria: portly men in lederhosen drinking beer and dancing to oompah with buxom blond Frauleinen serving them more beer.

Which is doubly odd considering that nearly 20% of Americans (and probably a plurality of white Americans) are descended from German stock, most of whom came from regions other than Bavaria. I always find it a bit offensive myself.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10581 on: September 09, 2014, 10:19:13 am »

Billions of pounds wiped from value of Scottish firms after yes vote leads independence poll.

The pound is also not doing well for value. Why would an independent Scotland want the pound and not the euro anyways? No one seems to like the idea of risking the sterling over a nation apart from Britain and the EU would welcome another nation state adopting the Euro with welcome arms and indeed would be breaking a precedent by doing anything but.

Sushma Swaraj responded to a question about next week's vote in parliament with note of horror. “”God forbid!” she replied.
After officials had a word with the External Affairs minister, she quickly corrected herself, adding it was “up to Scotland to decide”.
Adorable.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10582 on: September 09, 2014, 10:21:55 am »

The pound is also not doing well for value. Why would an independent Scotland want the pound and not the euro anyways?

Because the vast bulk of their trade will be done with the UK and currency differences would increase the costs associated with that trade.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10583 on: September 09, 2014, 10:25:20 am »

Because the vast bulk of their trade will be done with the UK and currency differences would increase the costs associated with that trade.
That sounds like a preferable alternative to a depreciated sterling though, and does simplify things a great deal in the event of independence.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10584 on: September 09, 2014, 10:26:08 am »

I'd totally be up for an independent Rhineland, with Köln/Cologne as our capital. Just keep open the borders - I still want to visit Lower Saxony and all our Western neighbors, after all.

Helgoland, that would cause a whole bunch of problems, like the fact that when people flee a place because they're in danger, they don't really want to spend 6 month waiting for the embassy to process the paperwork. Also, international law force us to accept legitimate refugees when they show up. Finally, having done some activism related to refugees in Belgium, I don't trust our asylum institution (whose main goal seems to send as many people back as possible to please xenophobic voters) so I prefer to have them operate closer, where activists and human right lawyers can more effectively monitor them.

Having such refugee processing done in North Africa (where you already have camps full of wannabee migrants) I could be okay with though.
They'd have to flee into neighboring regions first, anyway, so they could presumably apply there. But you may have a point: Embassies in unimportant (from our perspective of course, eurocentrism ho!) countries may simply be too small. How about a couple of major 'collection points' in various regions? These could then be monitored independently and effectively.
I don't quite understand the bit about legitimate refugees - we do accept them, after all, if they conform to our procedure. So they'd probably be shipped back to Africa immediately and the politely shown the nearest of our immigration institutions.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10585 on: September 09, 2014, 10:28:37 am »

Billions of pounds wiped from value of Scottish firms after yes vote leads independence poll.

The pound is also not doing well for value. Why would an independent Scotland want the pound and not the euro anyways? No one seems to like the idea of risking the sterling over a nation apart from Britain and the EU would welcome another nation state adopting the Euro with welcome arms and indeed would be breaking a precedent by doing anything but.

Sushma Swaraj responded to a question about next week's vote in parliament with note of horror. “”God forbid!” she replied.
After officials had a word with the External Affairs minister, she quickly corrected herself, adding it was “up to Scotland to decide”.
Adorable.

Not as adorable as this gem:
However its rival, Die Zeit took a different tack under a headline “ No tea for the English enemy”.

It said: “Scotland is gripped by an aggresive ethnic self centeredness which wants to subordinate everything foreign.”
Coming from a German newspaper, that is droll beyond belief. History much?

The gist of the Telegraph article seems to be "OMG the rest of the world really wants Scotland to stop, why aren't they listening??" when in fact the countries they cite all have their own breakaway regions that might be encouraged by an actually successful independence movement.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10586 on: September 09, 2014, 10:30:57 am »

That was written by a pro-Union resident of Scotland. I read the article - it was horrible. It's a shame the Zeit has gone down to such a level; traditionally it's the paper of the social-liberal intelligentsia.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10587 on: September 09, 2014, 10:56:35 am »

Scotland doesn't meet the requirements for joining the Euro.

1. Inflation no more than 1.5% higher than the lowest levels seen in Euro countries.
2. Budget deficit no more than 3%
3. Debt to GDP ratio no higher than 60%
4. 2 year membership of the ERM II membership
5. Long term interest yields no more than 2% higher than the rates for the countries with the slowest inflation.
Scotland might fail 1, could fail 2*, probably going to fail 3*, fails number 4, and depending on all the other stuff, might fail 5 as well.

And after Greece, they're not going to make exceptions.

*depending on how indie negotiations work.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10588 on: September 09, 2014, 11:09:39 am »

Countries with the lowest inflation are probably the Eurozone ones - and Greece is one of them...
If the first part of that sentence is right, I wouldn't worry too much about 5).
The Bay12 postcard club

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10589 on: September 09, 2014, 11:11:47 am »

Hmm, if the vote is no in the end, can we trade the UK Scotland for Quebec?
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 1393