Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752326 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10560 on: September 09, 2014, 04:45:21 am »

Those propaganda guys need to work on their game. Some measly photoshops on post-card backgrounds? Come now. Where's the art? The passion? The exaggerations, stereotypes 'n slurs?
2/10
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10561 on: September 09, 2014, 06:41:02 am »

Where's the Today - Donetsk. Tomorrow - Dell Rapids? Why Ukraine not want world policemen to step in and oh that right American policemen suck.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10562 on: September 09, 2014, 06:46:53 am »

So I hear Seehofer, the Kaiser of Bavaria, wants to put controls on the border to Austria tu curb the flow of African immigrants, stating that Lampedusa must not become a suburb of Kiefersfelden, which is a settlement no non-Bavarian has ever heard of.
Why this might spell trouble: Bavaria is practically Germany's tea party. Loud, dumb, borderline fascist, and with entirely too much influence on the federal level.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10563 on: September 09, 2014, 07:56:20 am »

Bavaria is practically Germany's tea party. Loud, dumb, borderline fascist, and with entirely too much influence on the federal level.

this post is so rhinelandian somebody just threw a steel mill through my window

but yeah

refugees

they're a problem, no matter if you think they should be stopped or not - if we allow them in, we've got to introduce them to society somehow, if they should be stopped, how do we do so without going full america on the mediterranean

i for one say that allowing for there to be any smuggling in or out of the union is a really bad thing - first of all these refugees pay trillions of dollops to get to the union somehow and that causes one hell of a black market, and the gods only know what else is smuggled alongside said people

and of course there's the matter of people being smuggled out for nefarious purposes, or being straight up enslaved upon arrival

so yeah keep the border secure thank you

how we actually take refugees in after we close the border is a straight up mystery, pick them up at our embassies or something?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10564 on: September 09, 2014, 08:17:33 am »

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10565 on: September 09, 2014, 08:22:07 am »

somebody proposed offering a public ferry service across the mediterranean, which should outcompete the people smugglers in both price and safety. Tickets would help fund the service and it is easier to control the inflow of people and to be sure they aren't enslaved/forced to criminality.

It is an unusual proposal . but it has some benefits ( and drawbacks, of course)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10566 on: September 09, 2014, 08:35:26 am »

So I hear Seehofer, the Kaiser of Bavaria, wants to put controls on the border to Austria tu curb the flow of African immigrants, stating that Lampedusa must not become a suburb of Kiefersfelden, which is a settlement no non-Bavarian has ever heard of.
Why this might spell trouble: Bavaria is practically Germany's tea party. Loud, dumb, borderline fascist, and with entirely too much influence on the federal level.
Oh, no dangerous fascist thinking ever came out of Munich...

somebody proposed offering a public ferry service across the mediterranean, which should outcompete the people smugglers in both price and safety. Tickets would help fund the service and it is easier to control the inflow of people and to be sure they aren't enslaved/forced to criminality.

It is an unusual proposal . but it has some benefits ( and drawbacks, of course)
This would like offering a toll bridge on the Rio Grande open to all. Political non-starter. Not to mention, you create a single point of exploitation at the receiving terminal. Every slaver and con-man in Europe would be hovering around there.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10567 on: September 09, 2014, 09:10:17 am »

Well, crossing the Mediterannean to Europe is  only a 50 $ Ryainair ticket if you don't want to be smuggled in. What you'd need is a system of work permits, combined with faster processing of real refugees.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10568 on: September 09, 2014, 09:13:29 am »

Well, crossing the Mediterannean to Europe is  only a 50 $ Ryainair ticket if you don't want to be smuggled in. What you'd need is a system of work permits, combined with faster processing of real refugees.

That's in US dollars though, a good deal of those who want to get out don't even have that much in equivalent exchange of local currency.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10569 on: September 09, 2014, 09:17:03 am »

Why not process them in their home countries or in North Africa? Anyone we find here without a permit is shipped back, no exceptions, but there's a ferry as described above for those who have one, and all European embassies offer access to such permits if the requirements are met.
It's the same as the current system, just that people need to travel less.

Edit:
Bavaria is practically Germany's tea party. Loud, dumb, borderline fascist, and with entirely too much influence on the federal level.

this post is so rhinelandian somebody just threw a steel mill through my window
Hey - half of Germany thinks so, and newspaper articles semi-ironically suggest just throwing the Bavarians out of Germany would be a good idea all the time.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:19:17 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10570 on: September 09, 2014, 09:18:38 am »

Whoops, sorry.
The Bay12 postcard club

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10571 on: September 09, 2014, 09:20:32 am »

I have to say that, as reluctant as I am to touch Germany's territorial integrity (their federal model is a nice example of something that can work) it would probably work best if Bavaria was independent. They're at least as different from the rest of Germany as Austria, anyway.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10572 on: September 09, 2014, 09:26:00 am »

This would like offering a toll bridge on the Rio Grande open to all. Political non-starter. Not to mention, you create a single point of exploitation at the receiving terminal. Every slaver and con-man in Europe would be hovering around there.
That aside, to think that any ferry service would ever be able to provide enough supply to sate the demand is wishful thinking, at the very least.
In practice it will only mean that some people that are assertive and antisocial enough, to elbow-stomp their way through the proverbial queue for ferry tickets, will be able to use it, while the rest (probably the bulk) will still depend on illegal, and dangerous human trafficking.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10573 on: September 09, 2014, 09:26:01 am »

I have to say that, as reluctant as I am to touch Germany's territorial integrity (their federal model is a nice example of something that can work) it would probably work best if Bavaria was independent. They're at least as different from the rest of Germany as Austria, anyway.
But wouldn't that just lead to Bavaria becoming the greatest exporter of dumb politicians in Europe?
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10574 on: September 09, 2014, 09:26:49 am »

Helgoland, that would cause a whole bunch of problems, like the fact that when people flee a place because they're in danger, they don't really want to spend 6 month waiting for the embassy to process the paperwork. Also, international law force us to accept legitimate refugees when they show up. Finally, having done some activism related to refugees in Belgium, I don't trust our asylum institution (whose main goal seems to send as many people back as possible to please xenophobic voters) so I prefer to have them operate closer, where activists and human right lawyers can more effectively monitor them.

Having such refugee processing done in North Africa (where you already have camps full of wannabee migrants) I could be okay with though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 1393