Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751834 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10275 on: September 05, 2014, 03:07:58 am »

Oh, yeah. Anyone would be interested in a rant about the current government-in-formation with a long aside on how our Constitution has been literally turned into not-literal sausage mix over the last 10 or 20 years?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10276 on: September 05, 2014, 04:28:22 am »

We should start a seperatist movement. Proclaim the Free Republic of the Kempen and Other Areas Where People Speak Dutch Without Breaking Their Throats On The Letter Gee, With The Exclusion Of Limburg!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10277 on: September 05, 2014, 04:31:24 am »

We should start a seperatist movement. Proclaim the Free Republic of the Kempen and Other Areas Where People Speak Dutch Without Breaking Their Throats On The Letter Gee, With The Exclusion Of Limburg!

And Steve. Fuck that guy.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10278 on: September 05, 2014, 08:02:54 am »

So, ceasefire with DNR and LNR (but not Russia) signed... Funniest thing that Poroshenko will claim that it is a diplomatic victory and not an outright capitulation
Not that bad actually, but I can't see how anything good come out of that
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:12:31 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10279 on: September 05, 2014, 08:18:13 am »

Ceasefire=/= peace treaty. The Korean War never officially ended for example.

Also, isn't it now in Russia's ball court so to speak? Now that their proxies have entered a cease fire, they have to decide whether to keep fighting or to stop. Maybe Ukraine will finally declare an official war?

Plus it would allow Ukraine to focus all of it's resources on Russia instead of being divided between Donbass and Luhansk. Seems more like a strategic move rather than anything.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10280 on: September 05, 2014, 08:33:14 am »

For starters any deal with LNR\DNR is a recognition that they exist as a political entity while there are nothing but Putin's guys.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10281 on: September 05, 2014, 08:34:58 am »

D/LNR are not exactly very "netotiable with". They can break the truce at any time and never risk anything for it. Both them and Russia will always claim that it is the ukrainian side to be blamed for the ensuing fighting. They probably aren't gonne cease fire at all until Mariupol is taken. Really, it's only Poroshenko who is actually bound by the treaty.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10282 on: September 05, 2014, 08:42:30 am »

Lets just see how the ceasefire goes.

I still think that it's in Putin's court so to speak, as in it's his move now.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:46:12 am by smjjames »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10283 on: September 05, 2014, 08:45:53 am »

Ceasefires and negotiations with Russia never go well (pretty much ever) but a ceasefire and the cessation of bloodshed is of paramount importance.

Would it be possible to turn Brussels into an independent city state like Trieste once was? Let Wallonia and Flanders be independent in their own right and share Brussels when necessary. I understand Brussels is natively Flemish (now with considerable French influence) but perhaps it would work as a capital city of Europe. Then again I'd have to ask if Europe would really need a capital; I certainly don't want Europe to turn into some kind of nation.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10284 on: September 05, 2014, 08:47:38 am »

Ceasefires and negotiations with Russia never go well (pretty much ever) but a ceasefire and the cessation of bloodshed is of paramount importance.

Would it be possible to turn Brussels into an independent city state like Trieste once was? Let Wallonia and Flanders be independent in their own right and share Brussels when necessary. I understand Brussels is natively Flemish (now with considerable French influence) but perhaps it would work as a capital city of Europe. Then again I'd have to ask if Europe would really need a capital; I certainly don't want Europe to turn into some kind of nation.

The obvious answer for the capital city of Europe is Paris 8)

*is not actually that serious.

Ideally though, the capital city would be roughly in the center of Europe, Berlin maybe? *opens up google earth* Actually, how about Munich? Kind of have to define 'Europe' first, whether or not it includes Russia, and find the center of that.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:55:57 am by smjjames »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10285 on: September 05, 2014, 08:51:03 am »

Why Paris? Strasbourg is far more connected to the EU than the French capital ever was.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10286 on: September 05, 2014, 08:52:26 am »

Lets just see how the ceasefire goes.
Most likely: Russia will happily flood the region with all they have. Why not if they will be not shot at?
Then Russia will start an advance at any moment it likes

I repeat I  see nothing good in that agreement. Big plain nothing

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10287 on: September 05, 2014, 08:53:50 am »

In virtually all empires and great geopolitical entities there is always a "home nation" or region associated with it. That region holds profound influence on the overall culture and actions of the wider entity. In the USSR, that home region was Western Russia. In the UK that entity is South-East England, so called the "home-counties" which is very telling (Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland etc are obviously not home). In the Roman Empire that home region was Rome. In the USA that home region is the East Coast. The list goes on.

The "home region" of the EU is pretty much Belgium. It works well as a home region because Belgium is very strange. There's almost no "Belgium" in truth, more like two nations stuck together like the UK; it just so happens it's a union of Romance and Germanic peoples which works splendidly as a kind of home region for the EU as it is presently i.e. before the Slavic peoples become more important. I hope Belgians here aren't too offended by me claiming Belgium doesn't exist (I'm sure it does, it obviously does in Brussels) but Belgium has always fascinated me for that reason.

Also, when I said "two nations stuck together like the UK" I do know the UK contains more than two nations, I'm just saying the relationship is similar.

Why Paris? Strasbourg is far more connected to the EU than the French capital ever was.

Strasbourg works well too. I do lean in favour of the independence of Alsace obviously so maybe Alsace would work well as another home nation of the EU. Well, "Western European Union".
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:56:00 am by Owlbread »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10288 on: September 05, 2014, 08:55:38 am »

I certainly don't want Europe to turn into some kind of nation.

i think we agreed that if you want to leave, then do so

the main beef with the uk is that it joined and now is actively sabotaging efforts to make this whole union business not pre-whiskey insurrection america tier bullshit

it'll be a shame, but you guys never really even considered yourselves european did you

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10289 on: September 05, 2014, 08:58:24 am »

Strasbourg works well too. I do lean in favour of the independence of Alsace obviously so maybe Alsace would work well as another home nation of the EU. Well, "Western European Union".

I said that I wasn't being serious. Also, what about Munich? We'd have to first define what is 'Europe', whether or not it includes Russia, and find the center of that.
Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 1393