Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751547 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10155 on: September 02, 2014, 02:07:13 pm »

I don't know about the UK, but in the Netherlands at least self defence laws can apply for cases of murder.

A while ago two people tried to rob a jeweller. They were both shot and killed by his wife. Supposedly* the wife saw the robbery happen at home on a live video feed and went straight to the shop and ended up killing the two with an illegal firearm. A news channel invited a jurist to comment on this and according to him that would be murder but the woman would not be prosecuted because it also was self defence (likely in excess, but that's irrelevant). I'm actually wondering now what happened to the case.

*this didn't turn out to be true

Of course, the Scottish dude did not go to the robber to defend his son, so I retract my comment about bad self defence policy.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: September 02, 2014, 02:12:02 pm »

That sounds like horrible self defence laws to me. Not sure what that has to do with gun policy.
it all stems from the delightfully modern idea that no one should defend themselves or stand up for what is right, just call your nice friendly local policeman and he'll save you and if you rely on yourself instead we'll stick you in a cage
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:15:22 pm by TripJack »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: September 02, 2014, 02:14:42 pm »

That sounds like horrible self defence laws to me. Not sure what that has to do with gun policy.
it all stems from the delightfully modern idea that no one should defend themselves or stand up for what is right, just call your nice friendly local policeman and he'll save you
without police you'll have lynch trials and vigilante justice

you clearly haven't studied the history enough to see how that's bad
._.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: September 02, 2014, 02:16:33 pm »

Meanwhile, when this war is over, the Donbass and Luhansk republics (Or are they one republic? Not sure) will have a hell of a lot of infrastructure repairing to do.
They wanted Russian world. They got average level of Russian infrastructure. Everything is fair (If only good people didn't suffer in the process)

To illustrate - https://twitter.com/lennutrajektoor/status/506871588554551298

BTW "on Russia" is not a grammar mistake. It is an answer to Russian habit to say "on Ukraine" (In Russian language for countries you use "in", for territories you use "on" )
I don't think that's how they intended it grammatically, it seems to me they are saying "on #Russia" meaning on the hash tag via twitter, not "on Russia" as in on the country.
((Yes, I know that I am being pedantic, but it still bothered me a tiny bit)).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: September 02, 2014, 02:16:43 pm »

it all stems from the delightfully modern idea that no one should defend themselves or stand up for what is right, just call your nice friendly local policeman and he'll save you and if you rely on yourself instead we'll stick you in a cage
Well I made that comment as a reaction to the incident itself (stab eye > manslaughter) but I guess that's a pretty strange way to look at it, since the man was the one who chose the confrontation.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10160 on: September 02, 2014, 02:28:39 pm »

I like this page
So, someone found a way to bring oil prices down and kill Russian economy without embargo? :)

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: September 02, 2014, 02:33:30 pm »

I am not saying we should have no police. Less police would certainly be nice though. And you are mistaken, I do see how vigilantism can be bad. I also see how over reliance on your government to protect you can be bad.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: September 02, 2014, 02:34:34 pm »

I like this page
So, someone found a way to bring oil prices down and kill Russian economy without embargo? :)

people are not looking at syria/isis, so there are no worries about middle eastern instability, so oil prices are going down

if i were you i'd hope people focused on ukraine or whatever it is that they're focusing on so the prices keep falling

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: September 02, 2014, 02:35:42 pm »

it all stems from the delightfully modern idea that no one should defend themselves or stand up for what is right, just call your nice friendly local policeman and he'll save you

Serg said something I agree with? Shocker!

*leaves before he tells everybody how terrible people they are for assorted reasons*

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10164 on: September 02, 2014, 02:38:46 pm »

I like this page

people are not looking at syria/isis, so there are no worries about middle eastern instability, so oil prices are going down

if i were you i'd hope people focused on ukraine or whatever it is that they're focusing on so the prices keep falling
I hope that North America and Europe will have a mild winter.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10165 on: September 02, 2014, 03:08:27 pm »

I like this page

Or lot of snow to build igloos.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10166 on: September 02, 2014, 03:09:32 pm »

Pretty much this.
But, Sergarr, tell me, were you bitten by a radioactive Slowpoke or something?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10167 on: September 02, 2014, 03:13:19 pm »

Pretty much this.
But, Sergarr, tell me, were you bitten by a radioactive Slowpoke or something?
yes

all glory to the slowpoke
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10168 on: September 02, 2014, 03:32:55 pm »

*leaves before he tells everybody how terrible people they are for assorted reasons*
I'm horrible and it's all your fault ;-;

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: September 02, 2014, 03:51:30 pm »

I like this page

I wonder if that is related, but recently I read somewhere that ISIS is making millions selling oil from the facilities they captured in Syria and Iraq to the black market, for less than half the normal price...

According to this article, in recent crisis scenario studies, it is estimated that Germany could do 5 months without Russian gas, which would be enough time to get alternative supplies. However Greece, Bulgaria, Slovakia and Hungary would have problems much earlier, so that other EU countries would have to support them with their own gas supply. So, yeah, mild winter would be helpful.
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 1393