Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751441 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10095 on: September 01, 2014, 02:53:38 pm »

As long as Russian soldiers keep on fighting against an enemy of Russia, the losses mean nothing. Russian psychology 101. Ever heard of Red Army's suicidal charges in 1941?
That was the courage of desperately defending their home against an (initially succesful) invading army. This is Russia invading a much weaker neighbour, who certainly wasn't "an enemy of Russia" when this started. If enough Russians realize that, support for this war will drop.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10096 on: September 01, 2014, 03:00:04 pm »

Proton Beam Therapy works about as well as the alternative treatment, but with less radiation load. Apparently, the NHS only pays for it for treatment of the eyes.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10097 on: September 01, 2014, 03:01:19 pm »

Proton Beam Therapy works about as well as the alternative treatment, but with less radiation load. Apparently, the NHS only pays for it for treatment of the eyes.

... but will pay to send what it deems appropriate cases for treatment in centres outside the UK. What criteria this requires though is something I am not aware of.
This is a blank sig.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10098 on: September 01, 2014, 03:05:27 pm »

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ukraine-crisis-if-i-want-i-will-take-kiev-two-weeks-putin-warns-eus-barroso-1463471

And in those two weeks, the US and NATO can mobilize as well.

I know the US and EU don't want to end up actually fighting Russia, but it's slowly getting to the point of 'no choice'.

If he actually makes good on that threat (not likely since it would be extremely threatening for NATO, though maybe he DOES want to provoke NATO), the question then becomes what the heck he is going to do. Will he let Ukraine go or will he annex the whole thing?

Edit: Quote for context and me reading the two pages that I skipped when posting.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:08:24 pm by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10099 on: September 01, 2014, 03:11:27 pm »

Eye cancer from what I've seen, Ashya King got brain tumor. Here in Belgium, PTB is also used for kids with cancers, apparently not the case in the UK.

By the way, did I tell you the story about our PTB centers in Belgium? So, the authority deciding whether a treatment is cost-effective advised a few years ago that we don't have enough patients to make a center worthwhile and that it's better to refer people abroad. Anyway, a consortium of universities and hospital decided to move ahead and create a center anyway (maybe they decided the situation had changed or something).

Now, that center will be in Leuven, Flanders. Cue the Walloon government deciding to create another one in Walloonia, because dick-waving or something. So we probably don't even need one such center, and we're going to get two. At least it's going to bring prices down for the NHS I guess.  :P

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10100 on: September 01, 2014, 04:38:07 pm »

Well I'm a very happy man today. A survation poll last week had the Yes vote at 47% (remember the Daily Mail poll I was quoting?) and now YouGov, formerly our single worst pollster, has just shown a substantial swing. I don't know what the breakdowns are (the figure I keep hearing is an 8% swing) but with undecideds excluded it's at 47% Yes, 53% No.

It seems that we have the momentum.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10101 on: September 01, 2014, 04:47:32 pm »

Well, I heard from Alex Salmond today something interesting at a public meeting. He said that something like 250,000 people have registered to vote for the first time in this referendum and he made the point that the pollsters just aren't picking these people up, even stating very clearly "these people aren't registering to vote No".

One of the ways you can tell the No Campaign have been somewhat rattled by this YouGov poll is that the only thing they have said in response (literally the only thing) is "No is still ahead". When that's all they've got, they're really on the back foot.

Here is an American political blogger's take on the Scottish independence debate without Scottish media bias. He puts everything better than I ever could. As long as you listen to that video, that's all that matters - I don't care if you ignore everything else I've said. Please listen to it.

The blogger in question is a fellow called Will McLeod from Washington DC.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:16:38 pm by Owlbread »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10102 on: September 01, 2014, 05:19:08 pm »

Here is an American journalist's take on the Scottish independence debate without Scottish media bias. He puts everything better than I ever could. As long as you listen to that video, that's all that matters - I don't care if you ignore everything else I've said. Please listen to it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yeah, he sounds as unbiased as an American reporter talking about Ireland

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10103 on: September 01, 2014, 05:22:49 pm »

His name isn't Gordon Campbell and that's not his account, but he is obviously biased in favour of independence. It would be nice if you could find faults in his points though rather than just looking at the youtube account page then rubbishing him.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10104 on: September 01, 2014, 05:26:00 pm »

His name isn't Gordon Campbell and that's not his account, but he is obviously biased in favour of independence. It would be nice if you could find faults in his points though rather than just looking at the youtube account page then rubbishing him.
You know me, I take time to research into what I'm saying before I address a shit ton of points from a 13min vid. If that isn't Gordon Campbell then he's perfect as I have no idea who he is and only his arguments can be addressed. Expect a texty wall of text incoming.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10106 on: September 01, 2014, 06:08:31 pm »

Things never end well when Germany take a hard line stance against Russia.
Not for either side.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10107 on: September 01, 2014, 06:09:47 pm »

Germany: Historic champion of stability

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10108 on: September 01, 2014, 06:19:20 pm »

She's not taking a stand. If she were taking a stand we'd see Leopard 2 tanks delivered to Ukraine. She's just doing the bare minimum to not be kissing Russia's arse.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10109 on: September 01, 2014, 11:27:10 pm »

Oh god my sides, yeah Merkel's taking a stand and is going to economically nuke Russia.
Economically nuke = Full oil and natural gas embargo. I think we will see something milder

Russian economy is going to a collapse with a happy "chooo-chooo" sound already, but, IMO, it will take at the very least a year to get there. Not that my opinion matters :D I never understood that macroeconomics stuff
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 1393