Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 669 670 [671] 672 673 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751374 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10050 on: September 01, 2014, 04:36:39 am »

Look at the bright side of things: London finally has a use for the rest of the country: it's a perfect dumping ground to exile people they don't like!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10051 on: September 01, 2014, 05:03:43 am »

uh

wasn't that exactly what it was used for since the twentieth century started

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10052 on: September 01, 2014, 05:06:51 am »

Not exactly, the great industrial cities of the North and the Midlands powered the British Empire. The transformation of the UK into the City-State Of London (And A Few Adjoining Bits) is largely a post-Thatcher phenomenon, as far as I know.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10053 on: September 01, 2014, 05:25:38 am »

If they had these powers, people would literally be sent to Coventry.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10054 on: September 01, 2014, 06:16:01 am »

I think this got lost in the wash of news these last few days, but many state actors in the UK on both side of the chamber like Labour's Hazel Blears want to instate relocation, forcing people to live in places like Norwich. Now don't get me wrong, I like Norwich as much as the next person, it has a wafflehouse and more pubs and old churches than you shake a stick at, but you can't force people to live there! How would you even police that? It's typical state overreach: expansive powers that aren't effective for what they want to do, but create massive scope for abuse.

From the way the article puts it, it sounds like the relocation stuff is just moving people elsewhere without actually doing anything about the actual problem. Meaning, instead of terrorists being based in London, they'll be based in Norwich or wherever.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10055 on: September 01, 2014, 06:27:18 am »

Yeah, if they did something bad, their place if in jail, if they are suspected, their place is under surveillance. I'm not sure what this kind of internal exile is supposed to help with.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10056 on: September 01, 2014, 06:40:01 am »

Yeah, if they did something bad, their place if in jail, if they are suspected, their place is under surveillance. I'm not sure what this kind of internal exile is supposed to help with.

Hey, it worked with Australia!

Oh, wait...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10057 on: September 01, 2014, 06:53:13 am »

The worst possible time to implement "emergency laws" that toy with the freedoms of citizens is in an environment of rampant sensationalism and vote grabbing. Right now the Tories and Labour need to compete with UKIP so they're talking as tough as they can.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10058 on: September 01, 2014, 06:56:26 am »

The worst possible time to implement "emergency laws" that toy with the freedoms of citizens is in an environment of rampant sensationalism and vote grabbing. Right now the Tories and Labour need to compete with UKIP so they're talking as tough as they can.

Hear, hear!

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10059 on: September 01, 2014, 08:07:25 am »

So, it's European to the core: Polish prime minister, Donald Tusk will become so-called 'president of the EU'. I'm not even sure what is the official name of this position, but it is the one held previously by Herman van Rompuy (which is literally everything I know about both position, and all I know about van Rompuy is that he held the position...).

Which is of little relevance of itself, but means we will be getting the new prime minister, and it is going to be hilarious, as everybody who was even a little competent and/or well liked in the party was already axed by Tusk himself (I have just realized that his last name is meaningful in English), so we will have either a faceless redshirt mook as a prime minister, or somebody who can not use a hammer without a manual.

Both options are actually pretty good, as it means that opposition is going to get stronger, and we have elections in a year.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10060 on: September 01, 2014, 08:10:26 am »

So, it's European to the core: Polish prime minister, Donald Tusk will become so-called 'president of the EU'. I'm not even sure what is the official name of this position, but it is the one held previously by Herman van Rompuy (which is literally everything I know about both position, and all I know about van Rompuy is that he held the position...).

Which is of little relevance of itself, but means we will be getting the new prime minister, and it is going to be hilarious, as everybody who was even a little competent and/or well liked in the party was already axed by Tusk himself (I have just realized that his last name is meaningful in English), so we will have either a faceless redshirt mook as a prime minister, or somebody who can not use a hammer without a manual.

Both options are actually pretty good, as it means that opposition is going to get stronger, and we have elections in a year.

I wouldn't say it's good. The parties of Poland are, respectively, idiots in charge, idiots who used to be in charge and moonlight as conspiracy theorists, left wing idiots (exhibit A), left wing idiots (exhibit B), wannabe Tea Party, and The National ELECTPLZ Party.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10061 on: September 01, 2014, 08:22:55 am »

only one thing to do, then

tea party go

that or electplz, depending on how much plz is in their electplz

or you know

start your own

pfffffffff

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10062 on: September 01, 2014, 08:36:25 am »

start your own
Will there be blackjack and hookers?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10063 on: September 01, 2014, 09:01:17 am »

IIRC, there used to be a Polish Beer Party...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10064 on: September 01, 2014, 09:13:31 am »

IIRC, there used to be a Polish Beer Party...

Yep, there did. More accurately, Polish Party of the Friends of Beer.
Pages: 1 ... 669 670 [671] 672 673 ... 1393