Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751300 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10035 on: August 31, 2014, 05:08:03 pm »

Isn't IS officially considered a terrorist organization? I'm pretty sure being a member of such an organization is a crime. So yeah, problem solved, we can jail those that joined IS. As for other rebel groups, I guess it's more of a grey area, depending on the group.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10036 on: August 31, 2014, 05:27:57 pm »

Russian sources like RIA Novosti and Life News claim that LNR forces have taken over the Lugansk Airport.

Some DNR sources on Twitter (1,2) also claim that DNR forces have taken control of most of the Donetsk International Airport. Reportedly, the remaining Ukrainian soldiers have barricaded themselves in the terminal's basement. DNR troops are currently trying to (literally) flush them out by flooding the basement with water.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10037 on: August 31, 2014, 05:37:40 pm »

Russian sources like RIA Novosti and Life News claim that LNR forces have taken over the Lugansk Airport.
So now Russia doesn't need to sneak troops and tanks across the border anymore, they can just fly them in.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10038 on: August 31, 2014, 05:50:55 pm »

My line is dangerous, yes - but would it really be like how things were before 1948? For one thing blood should be no component in it. I see the Russians of Crimea and the Crimean Tatars as belonging to the same nation - the Crimean nation, just as I see Scots and English and Pakistani people in Scotland as belonging to the Scottish nation. Just as I see ethnic Russians in the Donbass as belonging to the Ukrainian nation.

I think we misunderstood each other. I did not mean that thing would be back in a pre-1948 state as in the state which experienced two World War, I meant that the current peace in Europe depend largely on not questioning the post-1948 statu quo. If you go back a couple hundred years (as you're willing to do with Crimea), almost every nation lost land or was displaced in one way or another. Trying to revert back to an "ancestral state" is opening a Pandora box.

But they came knowing they had the right to use Russian because they'd just utterly decimated the Tatars and gotten them under their bootheels. They knew they were dominant and they were going to make that country a part of their own. On a moral basis I believe they should learn Tatar, the language of the Crimean nation (the last native language the peninsula has left, anyway).

Yeah, or they were born there, from parents that were born there and grandparents that were born there. BTW, the Crimean Tatar also invaded Crimea and imposed their languages a few hundred years earlier. Why do they deserve to have their language spoken there while the Russians do not?

Honestly Owlbread, I like you as a civil nationalist, but when you turn into an ethnic nationalist like this, your position seems either borderline evil or very poorly thought out. I know you're still trying to solve that gap between you ethnic nationalism and civic nationalism positions, so I'm going to go for the second one.

[/quote]

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10039 on: August 31, 2014, 06:32:18 pm »

Meanwhile, in the British/Spanish side of things, the King family are facing extradition from Spain after taking their child from the hospital to get proton beam therapy, since it wasn't recommended by the NHS. They face extradition for... err... nobody I've seen has an answer.

It might have been moronic, but so far as I can tell, they've not broken the law. Hell, from what I've heard they did the discharge papers and everything. All they did was display possible idiocy, which isn't a punishable crime. Sounds to me more like the British police are trying this for image.
Since when is disagreeing with the NHS a punishable offense? That's just ridiculous. Also, doesn't proton therapy have less of a radiation risk than the normal way? It's just expensive as hell.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10040 on: August 31, 2014, 06:49:52 pm »

I think we misunderstood each other. I did not mean that thing would be back in a pre-1948 state as in the state which experienced two World War, I meant that the current peace in Europe depend largely on not questioning the post-1948 statu quo. If you go back a couple hundred years (as you're willing to do with Crimea), almost every nation lost land or was displaced in one way or another. Trying to revert back to an "ancestral state" is opening a Pandora box.

I know this, but I've been thinking about it a lot. Though the definition of "nations" can be pretty arbitrary and borders get incredibly fuzzy it's actually not as difficult as you think to revert things back to a "natural state". The lines are there, fuzzy though they may seem. It may be a Pandora's box but it's a box that I want to open because I think in the long run it will be to our benefit as a species.

Yeah, or they were born there, from parents that were born there and grandparents that were born there.

That doesn't make any difference to me. I'm not saying we should ask them to leave, I'm just saying their government should go out of its way to preserve Crimean Tatar as the national language of Crimea. The Russian population would never be compelled to speak it either; that's just linguistic suicide and generally immoral. They should instead be positively encouraged.

BTW, the Crimean Tatar also invaded Crimea and imposed their languages a few hundred years earlier. Why do they deserve to have their language spoken there while the Russians do not?

It's the same question for why I advocate the preservation of Gaelic in Scotland despite the fact that Gaelic replaced the Pictish language, which also replaced the Old European language spoken in Scotland that would probably have been close to Basque.

Honestly Owlbread, I like you as a civil nationalist, but when you turn into an ethnic nationalist like this, your position seems either borderline evil or very poorly thought out. I know you're still trying to solve that gap between you ethnic nationalism and civic nationalism positions, so I'm going to go for the second one.

It all depends on how you define ethnic nationalist. Genetics and blood play no part in this - the nationalism is about language, something the Russians in Crimea seceded largely on the basis on. What can be more civic than the language people speak? It's funny, all I'm asking is for the Russian population of Crimea to be integrated into the Crimean nation. Guys like Putin seem very focused on integrating the Crimean Tatars and people like the Chechens and North Caucasians and even Ukrainians into the Russian nation. The only thing different here is that I'm saying the colonists should be integrated with the natives, as they are in South Africa for instance.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:14:10 pm by Owlbread »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10041 on: August 31, 2014, 06:53:01 pm »

Since when is disagreeing with the NHS a punishable offense? That's just ridiculous. Also, doesn't proton therapy have less of a radiation risk than the normal way? It's just expensive as hell.
"I'd much rather be standing here facing criticism over being proactive than do nothing and explain why a child has lost his life."
Politics again. Police aren't able to take any risks over anything right now because of the Rotherham rape scandal.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10042 on: August 31, 2014, 07:17:16 pm »

Owlbread, Russian is actually chock-full of loanwords. Also, I don't understand how Gaelic is better than Scottish English by your definition - it borrows both from Gaelic, and thus all the languages it borrowed from, plus English and its' particular quirks.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10043 on: August 31, 2014, 07:21:42 pm »

Do note that the modern Russian language was basically created by Pushkin in 19-th century from a lot of different dialects from different places which existed at that time. And then it was heavily modified by Soviets, purging away many cumbersome grammatic structures and archaic letters, and adding many new words from other languages.

You can blame Pushkin's literature genius for the power with which modern Russian language pushes and absorbs all the others.
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: August 31, 2014, 07:25:33 pm »

Owlbread, Russian is actually chock-full of loanwords.

It is indeed (it has hefted to its native areas after all), but for some reason it doesn't seem to differ geographically that much at all. At least not anymore, anyway. People from Crimea don't even seem to have an accent separating them from other Russians or Russians in the Donbass.

Also, I don't understand how Gaelic is better than Scottish English by your definition - it borrows both from Gaelic, and thus all the languages it borrowed from, plus English and its' particular quirks.

Gaelic and Scots are the two native languages of the country, they're still alive and they can be preserved. Scottish English is fairly unique in itself and for that reason it's often seen as our third native tongue, having been around for about 300 years. If Scots and Gaelic didn't exist anymore then I would call for Scottish English to be preserved where possible.

Do note that the modern Russian language was basically created by Pushkin in 19-th century from a lot of different dialects from different places which existed at that time. And then it was heavily modified by Soviets, purging away many cumbersome grammatic structures and archaic letters, and adding many new words from other languages.

You can blame Pushkin's literature genius for the power with which modern Russian language pushes and absorbs all the others.

This explains everything. Alright, I'll have to put Pushkin on my hate list, right up there with Sir Walter Scott, Julius Caesar and Chairman Mao. It's unfortunate because he was such a fine poet and author.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:38:18 pm by Owlbread »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: September 01, 2014, 03:38:32 am »

Owlbread, Russian is actually chock-full of loanwords.
It is indeed (it has hefted to its native areas after all), but for some reason it doesn't seem to differ geographically that much at all. At least not anymore, anyway.
The Russian language is divided into two groups of dialects: Northern and Southern. A separate intermediate Central Russian dialect is also distinguished.
Russian dialects don't differ much in vocabulary, however they are quite different in phonetics - for example, Northern Russian speakers don't merge unstressed /a/ and /o/. It is called "okanye" in Russian.

There is also a visible linguistic difference between residents of Moscow and St. Petersburg.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:30:51 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: September 01, 2014, 03:46:16 am »

doublepost
and that is terrible
Sigtext

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10047 on: September 01, 2014, 03:56:18 am »

Meanwhile, in the British/Spanish side of things, the King family are facing extradition from Spain after taking their child from the hospital to get proton beam therapy, since it wasn't recommended by the NHS. They face extradition for... err... nobody I've seen has an answer.

It might have been moronic, but so far as I can tell, they've not broken the law. Hell, from what I've heard they did the discharge papers and everything. All they did was display possible idiocy, which isn't a punishable crime. Sounds to me more like the British police are trying this for image.

Disclaimer: I have practically zero medical knowledge, just throwing this out there in a semi devil's advocate manner.

Reckless Endangerment?  Criminal Negligence?  Putting a minor through a treatment with unknown long term effects and no proven increase in efficacy against the educated advice/instructions of trained medical professionals?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10048 on: September 01, 2014, 04:28:00 am »

As far as I know, proton beam therapy reduce the radiation load but is expensive as hell, so is mostly used for kids or for treating sensitive areas such as brain or eyes.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10049 on: September 01, 2014, 04:28:30 am »

I think this got lost in the wash of news these last few days, but many state actors in the UK on both side of the chamber like Labour's Hazel Blears want to instate relocation, forcing people to live in places like Norwich. Now don't get me wrong, I like Norwich as much as the next person, it has a wafflehouse and more pubs and old churches than you shake a stick at, but you can't force people to live there! How would you even police that? It's typical state overreach: expansive powers that aren't effective for what they want to do, but create massive scope for abuse.
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 1393