Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751538 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10020 on: August 31, 2014, 01:29:50 pm »

"Nobody has actually been killed by these people in Britain yet."
Yes. Model citizens when that's all you can say for them.

Really, I knew our views have differed somewhat in the past, but what you're saying seems completely foreign to me now.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10021 on: August 31, 2014, 01:35:08 pm »

I call it, it is because of people like Owlbread that Europe will be conquered by Muslims.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10022 on: August 31, 2014, 01:38:04 pm »

DNR (read Russia) open schools in a warzone tomorrow. So we will have children gathered in one place for provocations.

I have a very bad feeling about  that

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10023 on: August 31, 2014, 01:38:15 pm »

I call it, it is because of people like Owlbread that Europe will be conquered by Muslims.
You are wildly overestimating the amount of people who are like Owlbread. I have searched the world, and I have found only one Owlbread. There is only one, and there can only be one.

Highlander . . .

>____>;;
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10024 on: August 31, 2014, 01:41:21 pm »

The usual warhawkish right wingers have looked inwards to American soil as they have, like the American left lost the taste for war (in the majority at least).
*coughcough*

Owlbread, I'd say that the issue is not their beliefs, but that they've forsaken their old home to fight for a hostile de facto state. I understand your concerns about the establishment of thoughtcrime, and they are valid (certainly it wouldn't be the first time that elements of state power have gone ahead and lumped domestic foreward-thinkers along with The Enemy to try and get rid of both), but in this instance it is very clear what ISIS is and what their goals are. A strict, narrow process is needed, but people can be demonstrated as having worked for ISIS have exchanged their citizenship by every definition of the word.
Man, I love how no American or Western European forumite would ever get away with saying things like this, but when it comes from Russian nationalists it just glazes on over.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #10025 on: August 31, 2014, 01:44:54 pm »

Actually, I think it is, because then this brings up the issue of who exactly is a terrorist and who isn't and what ideologies can be proscribed and what ideologies should be promoted and all the rest of it.

Oh, okay. I'll just get my christian part of the family's armor and go fight Lucifer's kingdoms on Earth which he formed after he was defeated in heaven.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10026 on: August 31, 2014, 01:58:20 pm »

Oh, okay. I'll just get my christian part of the family's armor and go fight Lucifer's kingdoms on Earth which he formed after he was defeated in heaven.

Or indeed you could go and fight in the Peshmerga.

Man, I love how no American or Western European forumite would ever get away with saying things like this, but when it comes from Russian nationalists it just glazes on over.

It's as if we just expect Americans and Western Europeans to know better, which is pretty racist in itself and goes some way to confirming Guardian's incessant talk of how we all see the Eastern Bloc as savages.

There is one last point I would like to raise. Has anyone considered the possibility that allowing people to fight in Iraq can also work as a deterrent for some people? I have heard (don't ask me to source this, it's in the ether unfortunately) that some people coming back from Iraq and Syria are suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, due to them seeing and taking part in atrocities and rather than being radicalised they have actually turned away from Islamic extremism.

You are wildly overestimating the amount of people who are like Owlbread. I have searched the world, and I have found only one Owlbread. There is only one, and there can only be one.

Highlander . . .

>____>;;

I have been listening to the Highlander soundtrack on repeat for days now, it is amusing you would mention this.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:02:01 pm by Owlbread »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10027 on: August 31, 2014, 02:04:42 pm »

... are we meant to have sympathy for them for finding acts of terror and murder difficult to deal with?
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10028 on: August 31, 2014, 02:06:11 pm »

... are we meant to have sympathy for them for finding acts of terror and murder difficult to deal with?

No, you aren't meant to have sympathy for them at all. I said "Has anyone considered the possibility that allowing people to fight in Iraq can also work as a deterrent for some people?"

It's striking how many people never think that murderers can be traumatised by their own actions.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10029 on: August 31, 2014, 02:09:36 pm »

I doubt they're getting much media time.

On the other hand you have these big, manly men showing who is boss by killing reporters. And that message is beamed around the world.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10030 on: August 31, 2014, 02:13:59 pm »

No, you aren't meant to have sympathy for them at all. I said "Has anyone considered the possibility that allowing people to fight in Iraq can also work as a deterrent for some people?"

It's striking how many people never think that murderers can be traumatised by their own actions.

I don't think that the idea of letting people go will strike people as a deterrent as the primary reaction is to do something about people going in the first instance. Its not so much that people never think about the mental effects of committing evil, its that people (often rightly) find it hard to give a shit about the negative effects caused to an individual by their own concious choices.
This is a blank sig.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10031 on: August 31, 2014, 02:45:12 pm »

Anyone knows how much supply (in trucks) a typical tank battalion consumes over a day of intense fighting? I'm trying to calculate the amount of trucks which must go through the border every day to supply the Russian offensive...
You should start thinking about leaving Russia. You cynisism could well get you arrested, and sent to Siberia, or 6 feet under.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10032 on: August 31, 2014, 02:50:24 pm »

Anyone knows how much supply (in trucks) a typical tank battalion consumes over a day of intense fighting? I'm trying to calculate the amount of trucks which must go through the border every day to supply the Russian offensive...
You should start thinking about leaving Russia. You cynisism could well get you arrested, and sent to Siberia, or 6 feet under.

you're really overrating this whole "russia as a police state" thing

one of the reasons i'd prefer russian to american gangsters is that the russians are pretty straightforward in telling you what you can't do and with the americans you have a list of things you can't do along with a list of what you can do, these are pretty tiny lists but you have no bloody idea what awaits you if you forget yourself for a moment and do something that isn't prescribed

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10033 on: August 31, 2014, 02:56:23 pm »

Now, this bit's a bit wooly. How certain are we that it is "illegal" to fight in Syria and Iraq? Do we have specific laws in the UK or under the Geneva Convention or something that define this? Furthermore - you need evidence to prove that someone has committed a war crime. Being in ISIS is not necessarily a war crime in itself.

A lot of german Wehrmacht and even SS volunteer soldiers were largely unaware of the scale of atrocities they would commit, at the time they joined. Their action of joining, therefore, cannot be considered a warcrime. Their personal actions in the war, however, can.

Now there's a difference between the german volunteers, and IS voluonteers. The latter know darn well, that IS stands for wiping their ass with Geneva conventions, and every possible human right there is. So I would consider the action of leaving their country, with the intent to join iS, a warcrime, the minute they enter the airport / canal tunnel to take the plane / train going in that general direction.

There is a difference between fighting for ISIS and having an intent to commit a terrorist attack in Britain. Let's not get carried away here.
Is there? From all I've seen and heard of IS spokespersons, they intend to spread their califate over the entire world. Just not right now, cause they're too busy putting heads on spikes in Iraq.

If any government starts deciding what ideologies are to be proscribed and what ideologies promoted then I think we are in serious trouble - more so than from ISIS.
We did this long ago, when we signed the Geneva conventions, and human rghts declarations.
But that aside, yes, we should always be wary. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:58:46 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10034 on: August 31, 2014, 03:54:34 pm »

You're heavily overestimating the amount of fucks the Russian government gives about people posting on the Internet... especially in English language.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 1393